Re: [scots-origins] John Hepburn

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
      Vicki Pluckrose wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I am searching for my g.g.g.grandfather John Hepburn.
      >
      > He was born 1781 ( 1841 census ) but lived in London.
      > His address was Red Lion Square Holborn and he was a book binder.
      >
      > I can't find a birth registration for him in England and am hoping that
      > he was born in Scotland.

      The surname is not uncommon. I used to live in Hepburn
      Gardens, St Andrews in Scotland.

      To find his birth record FIRST read his Death and Marriage
      entries otherwise you may easily "adopt" an incorrect
      ancestry. Finding a valid birth record one needs FIRST to
      try for names of the babe's parent/s.

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR

      PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA

      Visit Bundanoon Village Website...
      http://www.bundanoon.nsw.au/

      Many a beautiful hypothesis is destroyed by an ugly truth
      (Galileo)
    • Andrew D Paterson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
        Hi Vicki,

        Be aware that the adult ages in the 1841 census were rounded down to the
        nearest 5 or 10 years. So, if John Hepburn's age was given as 60, then he
        should have been aged 60 to 64. If the information given was accurate, then
        he was born about 1777 to 1781.

        What was in the "where born" column on the census page? "Y" (born in the
        same county as enumerated in the census), "N" (born in some other county in
        England, "S" (born in Scotland), "I" (born in Ireland), "F" (foreigner).

        All the best,

        Andrew

        I am searching for my g.g.g.grandfather John Hepburn.

        He was born 1781 ( 1841 census ) but lived in London.
        His address was Red Lion Square Holborn and he was a book binder.

        I can't find a birth registration for him in England and am hoping that
        he was born in Scotland.

        If anyone has Hepburns who migrated to England in the 18th century then
        I would love to hear from you.
        Many thanks in advance,
        Vicki

      • Lis Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
          Hi Vicki
          The 1841 Census should tell you if he was born in Scotland - check the last column on the right of the CEB which would have the letter S (1841 doesn't have places of birth but will tell you if someone was born in or out of the Census county, in England itself or in Scotland or Ireland).
          Remember too that the date of birth won't be precise either. The 1841 census rounded off the ages of adults to the nearest full five years so he may have been born a year or two either way from 1781 (+ people didn't themselves always know exactly what their age was or admit to it !).
          Certainly Hepburn is a Scottish (lowland) enough name.
          Good luck
          Lis

          To: scots-origins@yahoogroups.comFrom: vickilp@...: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:30:35 +0000Subject: [scots-origins] John Hepburn

          Hi all,I am searching for my g.g.g.grandfather John Hepburn.He was born 1781 ( 1841 census ) but lived in London.His address was Red Lion Square Holborn and he was a book binder.I can't find a birth registration for him in England and am hoping that he was born in Scotland.If anyone has Hepburns who migrated to England in the 18th century then I would love to hear from you.Many thanks in advance,Vicki

        • Vicki Pluckrose
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2009
            Hi,many thanks for all your help and advice.
            Although on the 1841 census he was listed as aged 60 his wife was
            listed as 62 and all others on the page had precise age dates.
            He may not have been sure of his age as I can only find a birth entry
            for 1780 in Durham.

            I am only searching the I.G.I and wonder if there may be another site
            with more accurate church records.
            Trying hard not to go down the wrong route.

            Rootsweb have a entry for his death (1855) and before I send off for
            this certificate I would love to know if his parents would be listed on
            this.
            His wife died 1844.
            Many thanks,
            Vicki
          • Victoria West
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2009
              Hi Vicki

              Your John  Hepburn born in 1781would you have a wife name.
              I have a John Hepburn born in 1781 but he was buried in Scotland.

              Vicki

            • Vicki Pluckrose
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2009
                Hi Vicki,

                My John's wife's name was Elizabeth.
                I am descended from their son Charles b. 1817 Holborn.(Law writer)
                I have his marriage certificate.

                John was a book binder (National Archives)Address was Fisher St Red
                Lion Square, which was renowned for law centres at that time.
                Charles Dickens lived there at the same time.
                Perhaps he modelled his Bob Cratchet on my g.grandfather a Clerk.

                Although I now know that neither John or Elizabeth was born in what
                would have been Middlesex. I am still strugling to find a marriage or
                birth entry for them.
                There was other Hepburn's living in the area at this time, and they
                may have been related.
                I have found a death entry for both of them. John at Holborn
                1855,however,the only John I can find on the 1851 census was in
                Durham.
                I will apply for his death certificate and see what it reveals.
                With thanks,
                Vicki