Re: [scots-origins] Scottish Marriage certificate question..

  • Dave Lindsay
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
      Carolyn:I have a number of old certificates from my family in Scotland. It appears that a standard form started being used in the 1850s. That form includes the names of the parents of the bride and groom. Earlier records I have are all from parochial registers which may not include any details beyond the date location and the names of the bride and groom.
      Thanks,Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
        Carolyn

        A marriage from 1844 would be recorded in the OPRs (Old Parochial
        Registers) which do not contain much information at all. Any that I
        have come across only tell you the groom's name and occupation, the
        bride's name and whether they were botp (both of this parish) or
        from another parish. I haven't come across any which gives ages or
        parents names - more's the pity! If you go to
        www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can pay £6 for 30 credits. It costs
        1 credit per page of results and 5 credits to look at the image of
        the record which you can save to your computer and print out -
        cheaper than buying a copy especially when there may not be much
        information on it. The information recorded may be different from
        parish to parish.

        Hope this helps.

        Christina
        Glasgow, Scotland

        --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn ..."
        <carolyn.ann@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > I am currently researching my family, many of whom were from
        scotland..
        > I was just wanting to know what kind of information a marriage
        > certificate may have on it from 1844 ???
        > I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a ggggg
        > grandmother.
        > Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a copy ???
        > thanks
        > carolyn
        > melbourne, australia

      • Cathy Hatfield
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
          Hello Carolyn,

          1844 records will not be a certificate as such, but rather an entry in an Old Parochial Register, and alas with not too much information.

          For example, here is what a couple of mine say:

          "Daniel Christie and Helen Hunter both in this parish were three times proclaimed in order to marriage in the Parish Church, on the three following Sabbaths and married on the 19th"

          "William Mcdonald, Weaver in Glasgow, and Janet Jeffrey, residing there, Married 15th August by Mr. John Edward, one of the ministers of the United Presbyterian Church in Glasgow"

          The official certificates as we know them were only mandated after 1855 and it is those that include the parents names and residences of the
          couple to be married, along with the ages. But these earlier records can help tell you which Parish to look for the parents in, and that can be a helpful hint.

          Have you used the Scotland's People website to search? There is a cost, but its not that bad, then you can download a record. It is cheaper if you know the date, because you don't need to use up credits searching.

          There is also a nice forum called TalkingScot that offers great searching help.

          Warm regards

          Cathy H
          California

          > I am currently researching my family, many of whom were
          > from scotland..
          > I was just wanting to know what kind of information a
          > marriage
          > certificate may have on it from 1844 ???
          > I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a
          > ggggg
          > grandmother.
          > Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a
          > copy ???
          > thanks
          > carolyn
          > melbourne, australia
        • Celia McDaid
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
            Hi there, because of the year (prior to civil registration) this marriage record would be held as an OPR (Old Parish Record) These vary slightly but usually only record...the parish, grooms name & occupation and the brides name. If ordered from scotlands people they normally cost £10, but may be viewed, saved & downloaded from the site using the credit system the site operates. Of course you could contact the parish/church directly. Hope this helps.

          • Karen Walters
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
              What about the 1700's or older marriages? Where would they be posted?
              Thank you,
              Karen

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 20, 2009
                Hi

                These OPR records may not necessarily record the actual marriage as the
                primary function was to record the proclamation of banns. They can take various
                forms where they record the parties names and simply state that having
                intimated their intention to marry were proclaimed on three occasions. To that brief
                statement there may have been added the fact that they were afterwards
                married with or without the dare the marriage took place. There are also examples
                where the phrase 'having consigned their pledges' appears and there were
                several reasons, it would appear, for that.

                As the OPR records were called in at the time Statutory Registration began
                and have now been digitised at GROS you are more likely to find a copy in what
                is now the ScotlandsPeople Centre. Some Parishes may still have a copy of the
                records but certainly not all and the condition might not be good.