Re: [scots-origins] Scottish Marriage certificate question..

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
      carolyn.ann@... writes:

      I am currently researching my family, many of whom were from scotland..
      I was just wanting to know what kind of information a marriage
      certificate may have on it from 1844 ???
      Statutory registration did not start in Scotland until 1855 and certificates
      only became available from that time. Prior to that the only record for
      Births and Marriages, and in some Parishes, Deaths were the Old Parish Records.
      These recorded, for Births/Baptisms, the name of the child, the parents and
      the witnesses to the baptism and the date of the baptism but not all recorded
      the birth date. It has to be remembered that you can often find the baptismal
      record for a whole family being recorded at the same time. It has been said
      that many a child walked to their baptism when all the family were baptised
      along with the youngest child.

      I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a ggggg
      grandmother.
      If she lived beyond 1855 you should find her death entry in the Register and
      this will give the names of her parents (if known to the informant), her age
      at death (but not her date of birth), The date and place of her death, the
      cause of her death, and who provided the information along with the registrar's
      name and the date of registration. Some entries in the early years of
      registration also give the place of burial.

      Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a copy ???
      The cheapest and quickest way to obtain a copy of the entry is to use the
      Scotlandspeople website which can be found at
      _http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk_ (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) . You will require to register as a
      user and you will then be able to search the contents of the site for which
      there is a charge. This charge is based on £6.00 GBP for 30 credits and one
      credit is charged to view the results of a search and if an entry is found which
      fits it costs a further five credits to download the image. It should be
      remembered that credits can quickly disappear if are is not exercised in
      examining the entries listed and it can pay to set the search parameters as wide as
      possible initially and narrow them when the initial results are found. Those
      results will give an indication of the number of possible entries that have
      been found and the number of pages involved.

      The site enables you to search OPR birth and marriage entries, Statutory
      Registers from 1855 covering births, marriages and deaths, all the census
      records which have been released (1841-1901) and access to wills etc. If you know
      the dates of BMDs and other relevant information you can order the entries
      direct from the General Register Office for Scotland full details of which can
      be found at _http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk_ (http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk)

      I hope this is of some assistance.

    • jae
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
        --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn ..." <carolyn.ann@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        > I am currently researching my family, many of whom were from scotland..
        > I was just wanting to know what kind of information a marriage
        > certificate may have on it from 1844 ???
        > I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a ggggg
        > grandmother.
        > Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a copy ???
        > thanks
        > carolyn
        > melbourne, australia
        Caroline. I have been researching mine -from NZ... who are all from
        Scotland, and find that Scotland'sPeople are very good. They have 99%
        of the Birth, Deaths, Marriages & some Wills and Testaments, of
        Scotland from goodness knows when ! But certainly from 1855 through to
        now.
        Prior to 1855 it was not mandatory for these to be Registered,
        consequently, it is a bit of hit and miss if you are able to get them.
        After 1855 - you can virtually expect that, if they lived and married
        and died in Scotland they would be there.
        Scotland'sPeople Certificates will give you, the area they lived in,
        the names of the person's concerned and their address at the time,
        their trade and ages (in the case of marriages...the Church or
        religion mostly.. the groomsman etc. and who married them and where...
        It gives parents names of both, and occupation only of the father,
        but not ages. It will state if they are deceased or not, and will give
        the Mother's maiden name.
        If you e-mail me and head it Certificates LOOK.. I will send you a
        copy so that you can see what they are like.
        From NZ the cost is about $17... (6 GPB)depending on the exchange
        rate, so you would have to work it out in Australian Dollars....
        You have to know around about what time frame, area they lived in,
        name, and possible age etc... But once you get the hang of it - Easy
        peasy !!!
        Anyway If I can help you just mail me and I will if I can.
        Jan W. NZ
      • canadaeast_98@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
          Check out the web site Scotland People they have access to the achives and I believe their pricing is quoted sonmewhere on line at site.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
            Carolyn:I have a number of old certificates from my family in Scotland. It appears that a standard form started being used in the 1850s. That form includes the names of the parents of the bride and groom. Earlier records I have are all from parochial registers which may not include any details beyond the date location and the names of the bride and groom.
            Thanks,Dave
            I am currently researching my family, many of whom were from scotland..

            I was just wanting to know what kind of information a marriage

            certificate may have on it from 1844 ???

            I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a ggggg

            grandmother.

            Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a copy ???

            thanks

            carolyn

            melbourne, australia

          • Christina Johnston
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
              Carolyn

              A marriage from 1844 would be recorded in the OPRs (Old Parochial
              Registers) which do not contain much information at all. Any that I
              have come across only tell you the groom's name and occupation, the
              bride's name and whether they were botp (both of this parish) or
              from another parish. I haven't come across any which gives ages or
              parents names - more's the pity! If you go to
              www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can pay £6 for 30 credits. It costs
              1 credit per page of results and 5 credits to look at the image of
              the record which you can save to your computer and print out -
              cheaper than buying a copy especially when there may not be much
              information on it. The information recorded may be different from
              parish to parish.

              Hope this helps.

              Christina
              Glasgow, Scotland

              <carolyn.ann@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > I am currently researching my family, many of whom were from
              scotland..
              > I was just wanting to know what kind of information a marriage
              > certificate may have on it from 1844 ???
              > I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a ggggg
              > grandmother.
              > Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a copy ???
              > thanks
              > carolyn
              > melbourne, australia

            • Cathy Hatfield
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2008
                Hello Carolyn,

                1844 records will not be a certificate as such, but rather an entry in an Old Parochial Register, and alas with not too much information.

                For example, here is what a couple of mine say:

                "Daniel Christie and Helen Hunter both in this parish were three times proclaimed in order to marriage in the Parish Church, on the three following Sabbaths and married on the 19th"

                "William Mcdonald, Weaver in Glasgow, and Janet Jeffrey, residing there, Married 15th August by Mr. John Edward, one of the ministers of the United Presbyterian Church in Glasgow"

                The official certificates as we know them were only mandated after 1855 and it is those that include the parents names and residences of the
                couple to be married, along with the ages. But these earlier records can help tell you which Parish to look for the parents in, and that can be a helpful hint.

                Have you used the Scotland's People website to search? There is a cost, but its not that bad, then you can download a record. It is cheaper if you know the date, because you don't need to use up credits searching.

                There is also a nice forum called TalkingScot that offers great searching help.

                Warm regards

                Cathy H
                California

                > I am currently researching my family, many of whom were
                > from scotland..
                > I was just wanting to know what kind of information a
                > marriage
                > certificate may have on it from 1844 ???
                > I am hoping to get a date of birth or parents names of a
                > ggggg
                > grandmother.
                > Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to order a
                > copy ???
                > thanks
                > carolyn
                > melbourne, australia
              • Celia McDaid
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
                  Hi there, because of the year (prior to civil registration) this marriage record would be held as an OPR (Old Parish Record) These vary slightly but usually only record...the parish, grooms name & occupation and the brides name. If ordered from scotlands people they normally cost £10, but may be viewed, saved & downloaded from the site using the credit system the site operates. Of course you could contact the parish/church directly. Hope this helps.

                • Karen Walters
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
                    What about the 1700's or older marriages? Where would they be posted?
                    Thank you,
                    Karen

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 20, 2009
                      Hi

                      These OPR records may not necessarily record the actual marriage as the
                      primary function was to record the proclamation of banns. They can take various
                      forms where they record the parties names and simply state that having
                      intimated their intention to marry were proclaimed on three occasions. To that brief
                      statement there may have been added the fact that they were afterwards
                      married with or without the dare the marriage took place. There are also examples
                      where the phrase 'having consigned their pledges' appears and there were
                      several reasons, it would appear, for that.

                      As the OPR records were called in at the time Statutory Registration began
                      and have now been digitised at GROS you are more likely to find a copy in what
                      is now the ScotlandsPeople Centre. Some Parishes may still have a copy of the
                      records but certainly not all and the condition might not be good.