Re: Sarah McArran

  • jabaill
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2008
      Try Sarah McLaren or McClaren. The closest I can find is Sarah
      McClaren in the 1851 Scottish Census born Falkirk about 1848 to John
      and Rachael. She is with her parents in the 1861 census. LDS shows
      John McLaren and Rachael Wilkie having a Sarah on 25 June 1847 in
      Dunfermline ,Fife. Other children born in Falkirk. John and Sarah
      were married 20 Dec 1842 in Falkirk. The 1910 US census shows Sarah
      born about 1846, the 1900; Nov 1842. It says she has had no children
      so I guess this isn't a direct ancestor? I realize this isn't a close
      match, but the closest I could find!

      Judy
    • Trena
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2008
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2008
          Have you tried looking for Marion instead of Sarah. Although perhaps not if Gaelic wasn't spoken. I'm no expert, just that I have come across it in my family. One person was known as Morgach as well as Marion or Sarah.

          Catherine

        • Trena
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
              For people in Stirlingshire you need to search in Perthshire as well.
              The county boundary moved several times, and I know of many people who
              said they lived in Stirlingshire (or just Stirling) whose records
              appear in south west Perthshire, especially the parishes of Port of
              Monteith, Aberfoyle, Kilmadock, Kincardine by Doune, Drymen, Buchanan,
              Kippen and Gragunnock.

              Belinda

              > Try Sarah McLaren or McClaren. The closest I can find is Sarah
              > McClaren in the 1851 Scottish Census born Falkirk about 1848 to John
              > and Rachael.
              > **snipped**
              >
              > Yesterday I searched all of Scotland for anyone born 10y either side
              > of the
              > 1842 birthdate given by Alan for his Sarah. I did not put any name
              > (forename or surname), only Stirlingshire as birthplace. 52 pages
              > ... very
              > few Sarahs, none even close to the one Alan seeks. She is just not
              > there or
              > is extremely well 'hidden' .... or ... Alan's info contains errors.
              >
              > Toni
            • Sarah Fowlston
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
                Actually, Morag or Moraig (my mother's name) has a similar meaning to
                Sarah. Moraig basically means important or 'great' person. Sarah in
                Hebrew is translated to princess in English, but the origin of the
                concept of 'princess' is important person.

                Sarah

                Trena wrote:

> [...]
              • Sandy Jack
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Hello Group!

                  I too had been searching for the illusive Sarah with no luck. I have also been communicating off-group with Alan. He has not been in touch with me also, of late, so I wonder if perhaps he is away.
                  I do believe he is very interested still. He even put a notice in a local e-paper for the McArran name.

                  I should not speak for him, but I do believe he has the information on Sarah's age and parents from a copy of the marriage registry to his g-uncle. I have seen the document and it clearly states the parents John and Mary to Sarah Mc Arran. Although the page I saw did not have a date on the registry, it states the age at next birthday of Sarah which would give her approximate year of birth.

                  Sandy

                  Treasure your pets...as they are one of life's true treasures.

                • Catherine
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 17, 2008
                    ...........I should not speak for him, but I do believe he has the
                    information on Sarah's age and parents from a copy of the marriage
                    registry to his g-uncle. I have seen the document and it clearly
                    states the parents John and Mary to Sarah Mc Arran. Although the page I
                    saw did not have a date on the registry, it states the age at next
                    birthday of Sarah which would give her approximate year of

                    But were her parents married when she was born? She may be registered
                    under her mother's maiden name. I have a couple of ancestor relatives
                    that were registered under the mother's name, but known by the father's
                    surname even when the parents didn't marry. Sometimes children born
                    out of wedlock were still given their father's surname if the father
                    recognise the child as his. I've also come across birth registrations
                    where the child has been given the father's surname as a second name.
                    Many possibilities.

                    Catherine King