Re: Alexander PATERSON

  • m9dds0ug
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "m9dds0ug" <m9dds0ug@...> wrote:

      > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Robert Blaikie <R.Blaikie@>
      > wrote:HI! Robert just wanted to mension that there is a parkside
      > close to Kildrummy.Don't know if its relevent to you or not just
      > thought I would mention it . My relatives lived there.
      > >
      > > The 1851 census for Dalkeith in Midlothian lists my GG Grandfather
      > > Alexander PATTERSON (two 't's) living in High Street Dalkeith
      > together with
      > > his sister Isabella, daughter Jane (My G Grandmother), and sons
      > Alexander
      > > and John. At this census Alexander was 46 and I have transcribed
      > his place
      > > of birth as Berwick on Tyne. This might well be my error.
      > >
      > > The 1861 census lists this family as living in Parkside Place,
      > Dalkeith,
      > > where his birthplace is given as Berwick upon Tweed. Alexander
      > also lived
      > > there in the 1871 census where he died on 10 September 1875 at the
      > age of
      > > 72. In these two censuses the family is listed as PATERSON
      > (one 't').
      > >
      > > I do not have details from the 1841 census.
      > >
      > > In my visits to Dalkeith I took a photograph of the house in which
      > the
      > > family lived.
      > >
      > > GG Grandfather Alexander PATERSON was Inspector of the Poor and
      > Collector
      > > of the Poor Rate.
      > >
      > > I have been unable to find any record of his birth in Berwick
      > about 1803.
      > > His parents were Alexander PATERSON (died Dalkeith 1 November
      > 1848) and
      > > Margaret BLYTHE (I think but am unsure of this).
      > >
      > > Was/is Berwick in Scotland or England?
      > >
      > > I would be grateful if anyone was able to come up with his actual
      > birth
      > > date and any additional information about this family.
      > >
      > > The proliferation of Alexanders makes searching all the more
      > difficult and
      > > at times confusing.
      > >
      > > Many thanks
      > >

      > > Robert Blaikie
      > > Brisbane
      > > Australia
      > >
      >The Parkside I have refered to is close to Kildrummy but on the
      Victorian Order maps it is not Parkside Place there is several houses
      and a manse if memory serves me well .I don't know your family name
      although Alexander is prominent in my family . You can find out more
      through Microfilm from the area throught the Mormon church Also
      Scotlands records are all automated and on line . If you would like I
      can get the web address for you if you can't find it.I live in Canada
      Sorry I havent been back to this site for awhile
    • Brenda MacCulloch
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
        Hi all,
        Anyone else researching these surnames Erskine, Mein, Anderson, Black, McVicar
        families in Portobello, South Leith areas of Edinburgh?
        Other names connected are Morgan, McPhail and Deans.

        Thank you
        Brenda MacCulloch
        Hamilton New Zealand