Re: James Dickie, Milina (Milane) Dickie. + other children

  • Jean Pendexter
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Alistair Cameron <acameron@...>
      wrote:

      > Suzette wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all, I am from RSA and desperately trying to get some
      information
      > > on my grandmothers family. Her name was Miline Dickie (think her
      > > father was James Dickie). She was born on 28 February 1882 in
      Scotland
      > > (she later married Edward Trinder from Ireland).
      >
      > You should get that birth cert to find their home address
      > then search the same family thereabouts in Census years. Are
      > you certain of the given name MILINE? My guess it could be
      > a variant of MAUCHLINE the place name.
      >
      > Alistair

      Actually you'll find the birth indexed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
      as: 1882 DICKIE MILINA F ST MARY DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS 282/02 0186 If
      you purchase the view of this you'll learn parents names, occupation
      and maiden name of mother and their date of marriage....all of which
      will easily enable you to work backwards.

      Best wishes
      Jean
    • Rkuehleborn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
        Ladies named something with -ina as a suffix were frequently being named after a male relative, as in the graceless Jamesina (Jayms-Eye-Na) or the peculiar Dolina (Polish word for a valley but better than Donaldina -- not eena? but rhyming with china) this process commemorating both the relative and the low probability of a male child being born available as memorial. Sometimes, however, the strange name was cobbled together from a surname or something else no use as a girl's name, and the same -ina suffix.?