[SPAM] [scots-origins] Re: Jaffray family

  • Alexander Paterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Trena" <amheater@...> wrote:

> [...]
      JEFFREY's
      > are, where they are from etc. I too have JEFFRAYs / JEFFREYs
      within our
      > REIDFORD tree. No doubt there are others in this group, or who
      may join in
      > the coming months, who will also have this surname within their
      family. If
      > you go private with your names, the rest of us who have this/these
      names
      > will never know if you have a 'connector' to our own .. or ... if
      we may
      > have the 'key' to open one of your doors! Unless someone else
      posts their
      > details on this surname, it is extremely unlikely that I will ever
      do so
      > with mine. It just is not important to my own research, as it is
      not in my
      > direct line. Going to private discussion keeps the rest of us in
      the dark.
      > I'm assuming this group may be archived, as many are .. so that is
      another
      > good reason for not going to private discussion (unless it is with
      regard to
      > living people).
      >
      > Toni ~ Ontario

      Hello All,

      OK Toni,

      My Feffrays / Jeffereys are as follows.

      Robert JEFFRAY married Margaret CARR, they had a son Robert born
      1847 in Glasgow,

      Robert Jeffrey married Mary Jane BOLL, ( daughter of David BOLL and
      Jane YOUNG, born 1847, Pollokshaws, Glasgow.) on 31/12/1866 in
      Pollokshaws they had the following children,

      Margaret Jeffrey, B 7/08/1867, Glasgow.
      John JEFFREY, B 28.03/1869, Glasgow.
      David JEFFREY, B 1/04/1871, Glasgow.
      Robert JEFFREY, B 9/03/1873, Glasgow.
      William JEFFREY, B 1879, Glasgow.
      Elizabetg JEFFREY, B 25/05/1884, Toowoomba, Australia.
      Mary Ann JEFFREY, B 1886, Toowoomba, Australia

      Hope ths helps,

      Regards,
      Alex.
    • Terry Delany
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2008
        My husbands family is also reputed to be related to Alexander Jaffray but like you we are missing some linking generations. As well as the Diary I have a book that was published in the early 1900's with some terrible research (ie he has the father of my husbands direct descendant 100 years old when he fathered his son) but there is a lot that ties the descendants of Alexander Jaffray to Throsk a large gentleman's farm that was rented by Jaffray's from the Lord who was given the land as it was originally owned by a Catholic Lord and the house (Throsk FArm which we have pictures of) is one of three buildings in the Stirling area that goes back to the 1500's...it was originally a nunnery. Our line goes back to
        William Jaffray and Catharine Baird.....Two of their sons Peter and Thomas came to Galt Ontario (our line), another one was a minister (I am doing this off the top of my head as I have not been actively researching this line for about three years) I think in Dunbarton and his son bought the newspaper from his uncle, Peter Jaffray and became knighted. The family is in London but I checked their genealogy and they have incorrectly traced their line back to William Jaffray and Margaret Heugh who were also from Stirling and at one point our family thought they were descended from them.....but they are not....If you send me your address I could send you photocopies of the book printed in the 1920's......I do hope we end up being related....and that you might be able to help me break down this brick wall as I have never been able to fine the marriage or birth of William Jaffray or Catharine Baird . I have surmised that this is perhaps because their records are in the Quaker records. Terry Delany