Re: [scots-origins] ISO: Orphanage information from 1902

  • Cathy Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hi
      My grandfather was one of the Barnardo boys. He was brought to Canada by that foundation in 1902. Many children were brought here by different such agencies back then. I wrote Barnardos and received a lot of info from them. If you think this might help, let me know and I will forward what I know to you.

      Cathy Smith

      dtaylo10 <dtaylo_10@...> wrote:
      Hi. I just found this website and am really hoping someone can help!
      My grandmother and her brother were sent to an orphanage in Glasgow
      Scotland around 1902. I have her date of birth and their names and
      that she was adopted by a Canadian family. I don't know anything
      beyond that.

      Is there any hope of finding anything out about her/them? Thank you so
      much for any help.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
        dtaylo10 wrote:
        > Hi. I just found this website and am really hoping someone can help!
        > My grandmother and her brother were sent to an orphanage in Glasgow
        > Scotland around 1902.

        Suggest you look for them in the SCT Census of 1901 then
        work backwards. This may give you additional facts to help
        locate their marriages and deaths etc entries in Canada or????

        The Scotland Adoptions Register commenced 1930 and includes
        no-one bn before 1909.

        Alistair
      • Janet Welsh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
          I can do a census look up for you if you give me some names and dates of birth if possible
          Janet

          > Hi. I just found this website and am really hoping someone can help!
          > My grandmother and her brother were sent to an orphanage in Glasgow
          > Scotland around 1902.

          Suggest you look for them in the SCT Census of 1901 then
          work backwards. This may give you additional facts to help
          locate their marriages and deaths etc entries in Canada or????

          The Scotland Adoptions Register commenced 1930 and includes
          no-one bn before 1909.

          Alistair

        • dtaylo10
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2008
            Thank you for the information. I looked in the Nova Scotia website and
            couldn't find antyhing. I believe her brother was adopted to a
            Canadian family for that exact purpose before she also left for
            Canada. I did find something with her name on it coming from Quarriers
            Home (thank you Anne!!!) into Canada in 1907 but can find nothing on
            either of them after that. But I am new to this whole genealogy thing.
            It's just frustrating. I have so little information to go on.

            Thank you all for your suggestions.

            --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, ScotHeritage@... wrote:

            > Try Archives Canada _www.archivescananda.com_
            > (http://www.archivescananda.com) Try also the Nova Scotia
            project. Chances are if they were sent to a

          • canadaeast_98@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 14, 2008
              Hi Janet, Sorry for sticking my nose in but can you
              tell me how and where one can access the Scottish
              census archives. I know you can pay and go to the
              official Sctland site but wondering if there are other
              sources. I hate paying when I am not sure when I am
              unsure of the family lines I am searching.

              http://www.flickr.com/gift/
            • ScotHeritage@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 15, 2008
                I think Ben Wicks started some sort of registration for UK orphans sent to
                Canada. Mostly children sent during WW II but others may be there also.
                Dave