RE: [scots-origins] Scottish Ancestory

  • Rex H. McTyeire
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
      I will help where I can ...as more historian than genealogist, and it is
      something that I work with almost daily ( running a current political and
      historical e-list :

      The gaps in Scot family histories are common due to the troubles running
      from mid 17th century until early 20th century. These ran from the
      Covenanters (17th) through the Jacobites (18th) and then the Clearances (
      18th and 19th) ( in a period spotted all along with just groups voluntarily
      seeking land and opportunity): but those the three major elements creating
      the Scot Diaspora and the dispersals and scattering that made so many of us
      Americans :-)

      Interested in your first name as just 'Ros' ... It is the earliest
      appellation for the area now known as Wester and Easter Ross in NE Scotland
      around Tain... not becoming a Clan name ( Ross ) until after 1374 ... and
      then also a Surname after that. Ros and Ross are still common first names
      and surnames in the area ... as well a those descended. It was originally
      just a general Gaelic and old Norse term for a land mass between fjords ,
      firths or rivers ... as the Easter/Wester Ross land mass is.

      Clan Ross carried forward a clan tradition that was Anrias and Gilleandreas
      prior to the Ross naming of the same group.

      Rex H. McTyeire

      -----Original Message-----From: scots-origins@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 5:13 AM
        When doing family research please remember there is a difference between
        Inverness and Inverness Shire. My Granny, Mother's mother, was a MacIntosh from
        Inverness, originally from Avimore area. Also Ross Shire is next to Inverness
        and many of the wee villages and towns are in fact in Ross and not
        Inverness. For instance the Black Isle, is/was a part of Ross & Cromerty. Nairn is in
        another county, and all three are only 20 or so miles apart. Avimore,
        Newtonmore, Kingussie etc., is about 2 hours up the Perth Road, and Inverness also
        includes Skye.

        The library beside the New Bridge, (not all that new) will be of great help.
        I would suggest if going over you get a ScotRail unlimited ticket so you can
        bomb around all over via public transport. The Highland roads can fog in
        rather quickly, the rain can cause a few problems, and there are few if any dual
        carriageways. (Interstate/2 lane highways.) Remember everywhere is
        Scotland, especially the Highlands is either up or down hill. Wear good and
        comfortable shoes.
        Dave

        In a message dated 7/31/2007 11:03:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        jamerm@... writes:

        Greetings Ros:

        Please let us know EVERYTHING you have on your Mackintosh line. If you
        have any genealogy records showing your Mackintosh ancestors or descendants
        in any age grouping, please send us that. We have done a lot of researching
        our McIntosh origins in Culpeper County, Virginia, and believe our next step
        will be in Scotland. We also have some McIntoshes who were born in
        Inverness.

        Here are some numbers you can use to contact us in regards to your
        McIntosh progenitors. James A. McIntosh, Earlene who is my wife for more
        than fifty years; 2038 Royal Circle, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108-2231; (801)
        581-1087 or (801) 583-0025; Fax = (801) 583-3464; and our email address is
        <mailto:_jamerm@..._ (mailto:jamerm@...) >
        _jamerm@..._ (mailto:jamerm@...) .

        Your friends, Jim & Earlene McIntosh