RE: [scots-origins] Colvin, Herron, McQueen

  • Lynda Lewis
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hi,

      I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. I live in Barbados
      and have traced my ancestry back to mid 1700's but cannot locate connection
      to UK. I have always heard that we are either Scottish / Irish, possibly
      deported, indentured slaves or emigrants. Can anyone help with the surnames
      Lewis and Corbin?

      Lynda

      _____

      From: "branson_mom" <gayleannherron@
      <mailto:gayleannherron%40centurytel.net> centurytel.net>

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
        Gale wrote:

        > All my life I heard I was Irish, my husband the same; only recently we
        > have learned in all likelihood our lineages are actually Scotish in
        > origin.

        Not much difference. Same Gaelic language, same social
        system, the national borders only 12 mi apart at the closest
        point. And regular commuting between the countries,
        unrecorded, on ferry or fishing boat.

        > Does anyone have any feedback on either theory? We cannot get our
        > family tree far enough to link to a crossing to the USA, so no hints
        > there.

        Until you find tree data to connect into Brit Isles you
        remain mystified.

        Put the actual names and dates into your messages.
        Unsuspected relatives are lurking here waiting to pounce on you!

        COLVIN seems associated with COLLVILE so think Stirlingshire.

        HERRON seems unscottish so look away from it.

        MCQUEEN is Highland and Islands.

        But a surname alone doesn't point unerringly to ancestral
        lands. You hafta work at proving pedigree and that may prove
        to be a lifetime job. Enjoy!!

        Cheers,

        ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

        Professional Genealogist
        http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

        PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA

        Visit Bundanoon Village Website...
        http://www.bundanoon.com.au/
      • Brandy Burton-Tarantino
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- Julian <julianlovegrove@...> wrote:

          > Hello Gayle,
          > The only way to prove for sure, is to check death
          > certificates which should show parents names and
          born in: Scotland or Ireland. Some early
          > censuses might also help. Ships passenger lists
          > might also help, but you will need their names
          first.

          > Theres no other way I'm afraid.
          > All the best of luck.
          > Julian

          Which brings to mind a question. Using myself as an
          example.......I was born in England of an American
          father so by law I'm a citizen of both countries.
          Am I English, or am I American....or....

          We muddy the waters....my mother was born in
          Scotland...her siblings born from Ireland (oldest)
          thru Scotland into England (sucsessive births moving
          further South). Is she a Scot? Is her eldest sister
          Irish? Her youngest English?

          Her father is easy...he's a Scot, born of Scots, born
          of Scots, in Scotland. But what would you consider
          his children?

          SnoLine/Schneegrenze Kennels Brandy Burton-Tarantino
          Labrador Retrievers & German Shepherd Dogs
          PNW Rescue Representative for the Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.
          ** http://www.eskimo.com/~snoline & http://www.jtvisions.com **
          ** SNOLINE BOARDING KENNELS - ARLINGTON, WA **

          It's here! Your new message!
        • Trena
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
              Dear Kay,

              I just am getting around to reading my emails and I've gotta tell you,
              your email was so reassuring for me. I have felt so confused and
              absolutely lost over who I am and what my lineage really is that I think
              I will die long before it is every figured out, if it ever is. I wanted
              so much to be able to leave my children a legacy of knowing the truth of
              their ancestry, good or bad, just to know the truth, but I am afraid the
              truth is long gone and will never be known. I think in my family's case
              although they often appeared to be intelligent educated industrious
              folks, there are reasons to suspect they were up to something that made
              them often want to disappear into the nights.

              I hope you find your lines, like you, Scottish, Irish, Danish, Welsh,
              whatever, wouldn't it just be nice to know?

              Gayle

              Kay Inglis wrote:

              > My scottish ancesters were iron/coal miners eventually moving to
              > Northern England, Whitehaven and Seaton Delaval. Both mining towns.
              > There they married Irish (McGarrigle, Woods). Whitehaven was a center
              > of shipping, slave and rum running and coal mining. It also had some of
              > the worst slum housing in England. Ireland is very close to England at
              > this point so the Irish were used to work in the shipping and mining
              > (also the scottish). When my relatives came to North America (coal
              > mining on Vancouver Island) we thought most of them were Scottish but
              > they are mostly Irish. The funny thing is my Scottish surnames are
              > Anderson, Nielsen and Robertson. While I have them traced back to the
              > 1700's in Scotland me thinks they might be from Denmark, etc.. Who are
              > we really!

            • Gayle
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                Hi Wayne,

                I wish I could even get one legal document that stated a birth place
                other than in the USA. My oldest record is the 1850 which shows my
                Colvin ancestor living in Indiana and born in Kentucky. A researcher of
                Colvins in California told me a few more generations back she had in her
                records, but still, nothing that took me off of US soil. And this gal,
                who is suppose to really know her stuff, says any trace dies right
                there. My confirmed line ends in mid-1700s when Joseph Colvin of
                Augusta Virginia was recorded on a deed, he later died in Crab Orchard,
                Lincoln, Kentucky around the early 1800s. Beyond that, there is a
                William Colvin in the 1700s who was supposedly born in Spotsvania
                Virginia and died in Lincoln Kentucky toward the end of that century,
                and he and his wife Susannah can't even be confirm as the father of
                Joseph, just hypothesized. So, even if I could confirm Wm, I still
                haven't a clue who his parents were or where they were from.

                As far as the name Colvin is, it apparently isn't really a name that
                existed much further back than the period I note. At some point it was
                changed from some other name, many suggested possibilities, and each one
                sends me in a different direction (Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Spanish,
                English, etc).

                I do find it interesting when I type in Colvin for links to various
                locales, sometimes it will suggest areas in Northern Ireland or near
                there to the West that notes Colvins in the Ulster area and
                thereabouts. Same with my husband's name, Herron, but in reality I have
                yet to find one person who lived there other than in contemporary times.

                Thanks for the support and encouragement, it is great to be making new
                pals on the internet, I guess we are all in this together.

                Gayle

                Wayne.D.Jackson@... wrote:

                > Gayle-
                >
                > Finding myself in a similar situation, upon the advice of experienced
                > searchers, I traced my family (McGen, McGan, Machan, and a legion of
                > permutations) BACKWARDS FROM THE PRESENT TIME until I found my
                > earliest direct descendants listed in US Census Records (1850-1930 all
                > include country of birth). Since my relatives consistently listed
                > Scotland as their Country of Birth in these census records from
                > 1850-1880, I accept it that they were born in Scotland.
                >
                > Of course, my family may have moved from Ireland to Scotland at
                > anytime before 1818, which is the date of oldest Scottish birth I have
                > been able to document with US Census Records; e.g., some McGen's are
                > recorded in the 1841 Scottish Census as having been born in Ireland
                > prior to 1820. The meagerness of computerized Scottish Records prior
                > to the enactment of the Scottish registration laws of 1855 has further
                > hindered my search
                >
                > As for my family's date of arrival in North America (sometime between
                > 1825-1844), the exact arrival date and location (US or Canada) are
                > uncertain due to my inability to find them in published passenger
                > lists. My first hard evidence of US residence is a birth recorded in
                > Vermont in 1845.
                >
                > Hopefully, you will find your path of research aided by my and others'
                > experiences and methodology.
                >
                > Wayne
                > Kirkland, Washington, USA

              • Gayle
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Lynda,

                  Janet gave me a link to a great site that I have found interesting. I
                  haven't found anything concrete for me, yet, but at least it gives me
                  hope as it does acknowledge the names I am researching. Every other
                  link I've been given suggests the same area but hasn't given me any kind
                  of support specific to our names. May I suggest you also check this
                  below in her reply?

                  I think there was some really weird stuff going on in Ireland and
                  Scotland during the 1700 and 1800s that drove folks back and forth
                  between islands and eventually across the ocean to the west. I mean, I
                  know there was all the religious political thing, and the famiine, and I
                  know statistically most of any of our ancestors must be part of the
                  masses (peasants) and therefore seldom note worthy, but geeze this is
                  hard. My Colvin name seems pretty much made-up from some other name of
                  which could have many one of many possibilities, and my husband's Herron
                  isn't much better.

                  Good luck, I hope that link gives you hope it did me.

                  Gayle

                  Lynda Lewis wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. I live in
                  > Barbados
                  > and have traced my ancestry back to mid 1700's but cannot locate
                  > connection
                  > to UK. I have always heard that we are either Scottish / Irish, possibly
                  > deported, indentured slaves or emigrants. Can anyone help with the
                  > surnames
                  > Lewis and Corbin?
                  >
                  > Lynda
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: scots-origins@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:scots-origins%40yahoogroups.com>

                • Gayle
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Hi Julian, I just spent about three hours after about ten yesterday and
                    uncounted this weekend doing my research and have decided my ancestors
                    were either bandits that evaded prosecution by changing their names and
                    locations in the dark of night, or they swam here from unknown origins
                    and washed upon shores onto to have forgotten their names and picked
                    Colvin because it sounded good at the time, or we have to revisit the
                    odd-ball theory of aliens from outer space.

                    Serious though, it might as well be any of the latter because I don't
                    think my relations were accounted in birth, death, or marriage records
                    in the early 1700s or latter 1600s, or there was a name change that made
                    any link impossible - any way, I don't see any way of connecting those
                    exited ships to those in my ancestry. Well, humor aside, I am done for
                    the day, I'm gonna go vote.

                    Have a great day and thanks for the encouragement.

                    Gayle

                  • MITSFN1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Herron is Scottish. I know because my great Uncle Hector Herron was from
                      Scotland.

                      Michele

                    • Janet
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 3, 2007
                        I have an idea that the test is that where there are two parents of the same origin, i.e. Scots, and two grand parents of Scots origin, the grand child is Scots, but that test stops if one of the grand parents is Scots and the other English; it would mean that the child is half English, half Scots.
                        It happens in my lineage, my father Scots born, my Mother born England of a Scots father [putatively] and grandmother who wasnt born in Scotland but here parents were both born in Scotland.
                        On the other hand, it seems that my father may not have been Scottish since I found some evidence there was a marriage in Ireland and children born in Ireland. On the basis however that marriages usually took place where the bride was born, it may just be that my Father is full Scots after all. We do know that people of Ireland travelled to Scotland to find work, and vice versa.

                        Janet

                        > Her father is easy...he's a Scot, born of Scots, born
                        > of Scots, in Scotland. But what would you consider
                        > his children?
                      • David Kilgour
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 4, 2007
                          Linda. the 1745 rebellion ended at Culloden, when about 1200 Scots
                          Highlanders were literally slaughtered. 1150 survivors were rounded up
                          and sent to Barbados, to live in slavery. You might try looking in to
                          this to find your ancestors
                          David Kilgour

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 11, 2007
                            There were no formal records of birth marriage and death before 1855 in Scotland. Prior thereto one has to rely on Old Parish Records that only give the name of the parties and not their parents etc. This is why you are finding it difficult to find them with certainty.
                            If you have a birth certificate for 1855 you can find a lot of information upon it.
                            Records for Ireland, many of them, were destroyed in a huge fire in Dublin in 1922.
                            Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but we are all in the same boat swimming against the genealogy tide. ;-)

                            Janet

                            > Hi Julian, I just spent about three hours after about ten yesterday and
                            > uncounted this weekend doing my research and have decided my ancestors
                            > were either bandits that evaded prosecution by changing their names and
                            > locations in the dark of night, or they swam here from unknown origins
                            > and washed upon shores onto to have forgotten their names and picked
                            > Colvin because it sounded good at the time, or we have to revisit the
                            > odd-ball theory of aliens from outer space.
                            >
                            > Serious though, it might as well be any of the latter because I don't
                            > think my relations were accounted in birth, death, or marriage records
                            > in the early 1700s or latter 1600s, or there was a name change that made
                            > any link impossible - any way, I don't see any way of connecting those
                            > exited ships to those in my ancestry. Well, humor aside, I am done for
                            > the day, I'm gonna go vote.
                            >
                            > Have a great day and thanks for the encouragement.
                            >
                            > Gayle

                          • Rachel Selway
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 11, 2007
                              Gayle,

                              Have you thought that they may have been part of a religious reformist
                              group?

                              I don't know how things work in the States but I have family that were
                              Methodists and no records exist for them in the 1700's as the Methodists
                              kept their own records.

                              It's just a thought but for me the trail went dead as soon as I got into the
                              1700's and it wasn't until I enlisted the help of a genealogist that I found
                              the reason I couldn't find anything on them.

                              Luckily there was a will which helped but I'm still stuck with them.

                              Rachel

                              _____

                              <http://www.eskimo. <http://www.eskimo.com/%7Esnoline> com/%7Esnoline> &
                              <http://www.jtvisions.com> s.com> **

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 11, 2007
                                David Kilgour wrote:

                                > Linda. the 1745 rebellion ended at Culloden, when about 1200 Scots
                                > Highlanders were literally slaughtered. 1150 survivors were rounded up
                                > and sent to Barbados, to live in slavery.

                                David, one of my Highlands male relatives "disappeared" much
                                later, after 1812. For his sins he may well have been
                                deported as a convict so I tried but failed to recognise him
                                among the very great numbers sent to AUSTL. 1788- 1850s

                                Do you know whether Barbados was a destination for convicts,
                                most of whom had rather minor civil crimes?

                                Alistair
                              • petal@sunbeach.net
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 11, 2007
                                  Hi David,
                                  Thanks for the lead will follow-up.
                                  Do you know of any records/books that detail the names of those sent
                                  or any other information pertaining to that period?
                                  Our Barbados records are quite good once I have a name/ship etc that I
                                  can work with. The records of births, deaths, wills, marriages are
                                  good ... with the exception of some church records lost at sea by
                                  ships sinking in hurricanes!!
                                  Thanks
                                  Lynda Lewis

                                  ----- Message from kilgour1@... ---------
                                  Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:09:15 -0500
                                  From: David Kilgour <kilgour1@...>
                                  To: scots-origins@yahoogroups.com

                                  > Linda. the 1745 rebellion ended at Culloden, when about 1200 Scots
                                  > Highlanders were literally slaughtered. 1150 survivors were rounded up
                                  > and sent to Barbados, to live in slavery. You might try looking in to
                                  > this to find your ancestors
                                  > David Kilgour
                                  >

                                  > "I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. I live in
                                  > Barbados
                                  > and have traced my ancestry back to mid 1700's but cannot locate
                                  > connection
                                  > to UK. I have always heard that we are either Scottish / Irish, possibly
                                  > deported, indentured slaves or emigrants. Can anyone help with the
                                  > surnames
                                  > Lewis and Corbin?
                                  >
                                  > Lynda"
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                  ----- End message from kilgour1@... -----

                                  This message was sent using the Sunbeach Web Messaging Service
                                • David Kilgour
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 13, 2007
                                    HI Lynda, sorry I don't have any detailed information that would be
                                    helpful to you in this regard.
                                    David

                                    Do you know of any records/books that detail the names of those sent
                                    or any other information pertaining to that period?
                                    Our Barbados records are quite good once I have a name/ship etc that I
                                    can work with. The records of births, deaths, wills, marriages are
                                    good ... with the exception of some church records lost at sea by
                                    ships sinking in hurricanes!!
                                    Thanks
                                    Lynda Lewis

                                    .
                                    .

                                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1085472/grpspId=1705040837/m
                                    sgId=39348/stime=1176472057/nc1=4438971/nc2=3848541/nc3=3>

                                  • David Kilgour
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 13, 2007
                                      Alastair, I have no information in this area. My main interest is in the
                                      broader issue of the Clearances, in particular the Selkirk Settlers who
                                      came to Winnipeg in 1812.A group of us are building a duplicate of the
                                      Emigrants Monument recently built at Helmsdale. The statuea are being
                                      cast right now in Nairn, and will be shipped to Winnipeg shortly.If
                                      interested see the following ( note the article says statues are 30 feet
                                      tall, in fact they are 10 feet. The earliest proposals were to build
                                      them 30 feet tall but costs were too high)

                                      http://www.sutherland-business.co.uk/article.php?id=149

                                      David

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 13, 2007
                                        wightway@... writes:

                                        There were no formal records of birth marriage and death before 1855 in
                                        Scotland. Prior thereto one has to rely on Old Parish Records that only give the
                                        name of the parties and not their parents etc.

                                        Birth or Baptism entries will normally give the names of the parents
                                        together with the names of the witnesses. In addition, if the parents were married
                                        the child would be described as 'lawful' but if they were not the child would
                                        be described as 'natural'. In some cases you will get both the date of birth
                                        and the baptism.

                                        Where deaths are recorded they are likely to be either a record of the hire
                                        of the mortcloth or the burial in the churchyard and if younare lucky you may
                                        find the place of residence of the deceased and their age. Where the death
                                        was accidental I have found a note to that effect.

                                      • Gayle
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 15, 2007
                                          Michele, thanks for the info about your great uncle Hector Herron, do you happen to have a family tree on ancestry.com or one I could view to see his info and how it ties is?

                                          Thanks

                                          Gayle Colvin Herron

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 23, 2007
                                            Ian, thanks. I was highlighting the absence of information prior to 1855 in comparison with certificates which, as you say have the names of parents, and witnesses.

                                            As you say, also, I have found a lot in death certificates, where they were born in the late 1700s and died at a ripe old age. One gave him a different father causing me to find another of the same name, with the father I thought was his, and, of course, a different Mother, adding to my tree.

                                            Janet

                                            > There were no formal records of birth marriage and death before 1855 in
                                            > Scotland. Prior thereto one has to rely on Old Parish Records that only give the
                                            > name of the parties and not their parents etc.
                                            >

                                            > Birth or Baptism entries will normally give the names of the parents
                                            > together with the names of the witnesses. In addition, if the parents were married
                                            > the child would be described as 'lawful' but if they were not the child would
                                            > be described as 'natural'. In some cases you will get both the date of birth
                                            > and the baptism.
                                            >
                                            > Where deaths are recorded they are likely to be either a record of the hire
                                            > of the mortcloth or the burial in the churchyard and if younare lucky you may
                                            > find the place of residence of the deceased and their age. Where the death
                                            > was accidental I have found a note to that effect.
                                            >
                                            > Ian A C Scott
                                          • David Sutherland
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 23, 2007
                                              David

                                              I live in Winnipeg MB. Canada and this is the first I have heard of the
                                              statues. Where are they to be located?

                                              David

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 23, 2007
                                                David Kilgour wrote:

                                                > Alastair, I have no information in this area. My main interest is in the
                                                > broader issue of the Clearances, in particular the Selkirk Settlers who
                                                > came to Winnipeg in 1812.......................

                                                A group of us are building a duplicate of the
                                                > Emigrants Monument recently built at Helmsdale. The statuea are being
                                                > cast right now in Nairn, and will be shipped to Winnipeg shortly.

                                                Ahah I now feel at home. We lived some time in Cawdor,
                                                regularly shopped and used Library in Nairn. As in the movie
                                                Local Hero we'd wait at the public phone near Cawdor post
                                                office so as to receive pre-arranged calls from Australia!!

                                                Alistair