Walker - Cosgrove

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
      Hi all

      I am just starting to seriously reseach my father's paternal family
      who originally came from Stonehaven and his maternal family who came
      from Donegal Ireland. This is all I know about them. I never lived
      with my father, who was killed in the Korean War in 1952 and only
      ever met his parents in about 1956 when I was 7, so I really don't
      have much to go on. I want to search the files at Scotlands People
      but do not know the Parish, etc where the records might have been
      filed. Is there any way I can find this out?

      Also, is it appropriate if I locate some Walkers in Stonehaven to
      send them a letter or email stating what I am doing in the hope that
      they may be related, and if so, what would the correct wording of
      this letter etc be.

      Thank you for all your help.

      Kind regards
      Marilyn
    • Trev Sherrod
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
        Marilyn--I cannot answer your questions re: Scotland;
        but did think you might be interested to know that
        Cosgrove is an old South Carolina name & it is
        associated w/Charleston. In fact there is a Cosgrove
        Avenue.
        --- Marilyn <majames1@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I am just starting to seriously reseach my father's
        > paternal family
        > who originally came from Stonehaven and his maternal
        > family who came
        > from Donegal Ireland. This is all I know about them.
        > I never lived
        > with my father, who was killed in the Korean War in
        > 1952 and only
        > ever met his parents in about 1956 when I was 7, so
        > I really don't
        > have much to go on. I want to search the files at
        > Scotlands People
        > but do not know the Parish, etc where the records
        > might have been
        > filed. Is there any way I can find this out?
        >
        > Also, is it appropriate if I locate some Walkers in
        > Stonehaven to
        > send them a letter or email stating what I am doing
        > in the hope that
        > they may be related, and if so, what would the
        > correct wording of
        > this letter etc be.
        >
        > Thank you for all your help.
        >
        > Kind regards
        > Marilyn

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
          Hi Trev., your mail interests me. Are you saying the COSGROVE name originated in South Carolina> We know that a lot of Scots migrated to the Carolinas, that is true.
          The reason I ask is that, I've just unsubscribed from a named group - my father's name, as it happens - where there are members clearly living in the United States of America who have absolutely no interest in any United Kingdom origins. Surely the Port of Entry is the criteria in tracing Scots Origins?

          Janet

          > Marilyn--I cannot answer your questions re: Scotland;
          > but did think you might be interested to know that
          > Cosgrove is an old South Carolina name & it is
          > associated w/Charleston. In fact there is a Cosgrove
          > Avenue.
        • Marilyn James
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
            Hi Trev

            Thanks for that information, I hadn't even considered that I may have ancestors from outside Scotland/Ireland/England. It's really exciting once you get started.

            Kind regards
            Marilyn

            --- Marilyn <majames1@...> wrote:

            > Hi all
            >
            > I am just starting to seriously reseach my father's
            > paternal family
            > who originally came from Stonehaven and his maternal
            > family who came
            > from Donegal Ireland. This is all I know about them.
            > I never lived
            > with my father, who was killed in the Korean War in
            > 1952 and only
            > ever met his parents in about 1956 when I was 7, so
            > I really don't
            > have much to go on. I want to search the files at
            > Scotlands People
            > but do not know the Parish, etc where the records
            > might have been
            > filed. Is there any way I can find this out?
            >
            > Also, is it appropriate if I locate some Walkers in
            > Stonehaven to
            > send them a letter or email stating what I am doing
            > in the hope that
            > they may be related, and if so, what would the
            > correct wording of
            > this letter etc be.
            >
            > Thank you for all your help.
            >
            > Kind regards
            > Marilyn

          • Trev Sherrod
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2007
              Just now seeing this message Janet. It is doubtful
              that Cosgrove originated in SC--all I was attempting
              to say is that there is a "connection" to SC.
              --- Janet <wightway@...> wrote:

              > Hi Trev., your mail interests me. Are you saying
              > the COSGROVE name originated in South Carolina> We
              > know that a lot of Scots migrated to the Carolinas,
              > that is true.
              > The reason I ask is that, I've just unsubscribed
              > from a named group - my father's name, as it happens
              > - where there are members clearly living in the
              > United States of America who have absolutely no
              > interest in any United Kingdom origins. Surely the
              > Port of Entry is the criteria in tracing Scots
              > Origins?
              >
              > Janet

              The fish are biting.