Re: [scots-origins] My surname interests

  • John F Davidson
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hello Skye,
      I have 6 generations of Davidson ancestors in Banffshire, in the
      Parish of Rathven, stretching back to the early 1700's. However, none
      of the other names in your list, apart from a Helen Reid from the
      Parish of Auchindoir, feature in my predecessors.
      Regards, John Davidson

    • MoiraC40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
        Hi Skye,

        I have a Catherine McKENZIE who married a John McDonald in Dingwall
        22.12.1804.

        Really have no other information about her ....just found her ' lately '
        ....as mother of one of my McDonald ancestors. But if there's a possible
        connection with your McKenzies
        I'll have a try to find out more info. now rather than later ???!!!

        Moira Crawford.

      • MoiraC40@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
          acameron@... writes:

          I have McKENZIE in ROC parishes of Urray, Urquhart Logie
          Wester, Kilmorack plus near NAI & MOR in Petty/ Ardersier.

          Alistair....I have just sent the following to Skye Re her MCKENZIE
          research.....
          now repeat to yourself....

          An ancestor of mine married a Catherine McKENZIE in Dingwall 22.12.1804,
          They are stated to be the parents of my Joseph McKenzie McDonald .
          Have no other info . at this time....will do more research on that branch if
          we have a connection.....otherwise it will have to wait a while...'cos these
          McDonalds alone....are
          " bustin' ma heid' !!

          Moira Crawford.

        • Skye
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
            Hi Kenny,

            My Mains in Nairn are Alexander Main m. Janet McLeod 1802
            and their children Isabella and William.

            I haven't been able to find Alexander's parents as there are so many
            Alexander Mains!

            Also have another branch of Mains in Ardersier, another Alexander -
            he married Isobel McPherson in 1766.

            Do you have either of these Alexanders?

            skye

            --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Kenmalley4@... wrote:

            > I would be interested in more details of your Main's from Nairn,e-
            mail
            > direct if you'd like
            > regards Kenny
            >
            > _kenmalley4@..._ (mailto:kenmalley4@...)

          • Janet
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
              It's been quite a while since I posted my surname interests.

              DUN/DUNN Montrose - Having taken this name back to 1754 I can name those who married into that line which might help someone. Those with an interest in the following names should appreciate that I dont have extensive records on them, just one or two of the names listed

              GORDON
              REID
              SIMPSON
              STRACHAN
              JOLLY
              LOW
              CROW
              SHERRET
              BAIRD
              MCMURRAY
              OFFICER
              TAYLOR
              SHAND

              Janet
            • Kenmalley4@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                Like you I am stuck being so many with the same name,can't seperate them,
                thanks any way Skye
                regards Kenny

              • Jennifer Agar
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                  Thanks Skye. None are familiar to me, but maybe through further research on my part, they may fit in somewhere.
                  Jenn

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                    Dear All,

                    Would it be too much to ask for you all to put the surname you are talking about into the subject. I have a heavy load in my inbox and I just delete if I don't see anything that doesn't describe my names of interest.

                    Hopefully it will help others too.

                    Cheers,

                    Maggie

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Skye wrote:

                      > Hi Alistair,
                      >
                      > McKenzie is one I know very little of - I have Ann McKenzie b. 1783 in
                      > Gairloch, Ross. She married Hector McAulay and moved to Duffus.

                      None of my 7 Ann Mc/Mac Kenzie lassies match.

                      Thanks

                      A.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Moira, you wrote:

                        > An ancestor of mine married a Catherine McKENZIE in Dingwall 22.12.1804,

                        I checked the IGI and see John McDonald was probably the
                        groom. My own tree has three guys with that name and an "
                        "uncle" too BUT the dates of mine are too late to connect
                        with you.

                        Thanks for the call!

                        ALISTAIR
                      • deby hills
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 27, 2006
                          Hi Skye
                          just looking through your surname list and i found 2 names im searching
                          fist is DAVIDSON
                          i have ELLEN or HELEN DAVIDSON married a CHARLES COCHRANE
                          They had at least 2 daughters one SARAH b:???? and one SUSAN b:1879? possibly born in ireland SARAH married a GEORGE IRVINE and they married in Hilltown Co Down in 1913

                          the second name i have is LAUGHLAN/ LAUCHLAN
                          which i have
                          JOHN married a JANET in 1865
                          and they had 4 children named
                          MARGARET LAUCHLAN
                          HELEN WILSON LAUCHLAN
                          JANET DUNLOP LAUCHLAN
                          HUGH LAUCHLAN

                          does any of these match yous

                          deb in south australia
                          Skye <skye.sloggett@...> wrote:
                          Hi everyone,

                          I thought I'd add my surnames to the mix, in case anyone has a match.
                          I have two branches:

                          one in north Scotland (Moray, Ross & Cromarty, Nairn, Banffshire)with
                          surnames McAULAY, GARDEN, DAVIDSON, MAIN, MURRAY, STEWART, McKENZIE,
                          McPHERSON

                          and one in the south (Wigtown and Lanark) with surnames BEGG,
                          LANDELLS, McLAUGHLAN, KEITH, INNES, REID, McCLYMONT.

                          I shall reply with specifics if anyone has a match.. all my dead ends
                          would take forever to type out :)

                          Cheers,
                          Skye

                        • Helen Swann
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 12, 2007
                            Hello Nicola
                            My Barbour ancestors come from Houston, Renfrewshire, though I believe that
                            they originally came from Dumfriesshire and moved north, possibly around the
                            end of the 18th Century. Does this help you at all?
                            Helen