Re: [scots-origins] My surname interests

  • John F Davidson
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hello Skye,
      I have 6 generations of Davidson ancestors in Banffshire, in the
      Parish of Rathven, stretching back to the early 1700's. However, none
      of the other names in your list, apart from a Helen Reid from the
      Parish of Auchindoir, feature in my predecessors.
      Regards, John Davidson

    • MoiraC40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
        Hi Skye,

        I have a Catherine McKENZIE who married a John McDonald in Dingwall
        22.12.1804.

        Really have no other information about her ....just found her ' lately '
        ....as mother of one of my McDonald ancestors. But if there's a possible
        connection with your McKenzies
        I'll have a try to find out more info. now rather than later ???!!!

        Moira Crawford.

      • MoiraC40@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
          acameron@... writes:

          I have McKENZIE in ROC parishes of Urray, Urquhart Logie
          Wester, Kilmorack plus near NAI & MOR in Petty/ Ardersier.

          Alistair....I have just sent the following to Skye Re her MCKENZIE
          research.....
          now repeat to yourself....

          An ancestor of mine married a Catherine McKENZIE in Dingwall 22.12.1804,
          They are stated to be the parents of my Joseph McKenzie McDonald .
          Have no other info . at this time....will do more research on that branch if
          we have a connection.....otherwise it will have to wait a while...'cos these
          McDonalds alone....are
          " bustin' ma heid' !!

          Moira Crawford.

        • Skye
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
            Hi Alistair,

            McKenzie is one I know very little of - I have Ann McKenzie b. 1783 in
            Gairloch, Ross. She married Hector McAulay and moved to Duffus.

            Her parents are George and Jane/Janet McKenzie.

            skye

            > I have McKENZIE in ROC parishes of Urray, Urquhart Logie
            > Wester, Kilmorack plus near NAI & MOR in Petty/ Ardersier.
            >
            > Ps reply if those parishes match yours.
            >
            > ALISTAIR

          • Skye
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
              Hi Kenny,

              My Mains in Nairn are Alexander Main m. Janet McLeod 1802
              and their children Isabella and William.

              I haven't been able to find Alexander's parents as there are so many
              Alexander Mains!

              Also have another branch of Mains in Ardersier, another Alexander -
              he married Isobel McPherson in 1766.

              Do you have either of these Alexanders?

              skye

              --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Kenmalley4@... wrote:

              > I would be interested in more details of your Main's from Nairn,e-
              mail
              > direct if you'd like
              > regards Kenny
              >
              > _kenmalley4@..._ (mailto:kenmalley4@...)

            • Janet
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                It's been quite a while since I posted my surname interests.

                DUN/DUNN Montrose - Having taken this name back to 1754 I can name those who married into that line which might help someone. Those with an interest in the following names should appreciate that I dont have extensive records on them, just one or two of the names listed

                GORDON
                REID
                SIMPSON
                STRACHAN
                JOLLY
                LOW
                CROW
                SHERRET
                BAIRD
                MCMURRAY
                OFFICER
                TAYLOR
                SHAND

                Janet
              • Kenmalley4@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                  Like you I am stuck being so many with the same name,can't seperate them,
                  thanks any way Skye
                  regards Kenny

                • Jennifer Agar
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                    Thanks Skye. None are familiar to me, but maybe through further research on my part, they may fit in somewhere.
                    Jenn

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Dear All,

                      Would it be too much to ask for you all to put the surname you are talking about into the subject. I have a heavy load in my inbox and I just delete if I don't see anything that doesn't describe my names of interest.

                      Hopefully it will help others too.

                      Cheers,

                      Maggie

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Skye wrote:

                        > Hi Alistair,
                        >
                        > McKenzie is one I know very little of - I have Ann McKenzie b. 1783 in
                        > Gairloch, Ross. She married Hector McAulay and moved to Duffus.

                        None of my 7 Ann Mc/Mac Kenzie lassies match.

                        Thanks

                        A.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 13, 2006
                          Moira, you wrote:

                          > An ancestor of mine married a Catherine McKENZIE in Dingwall 22.12.1804,

                          I checked the IGI and see John McDonald was probably the
                          groom. My own tree has three guys with that name and an "
                          "uncle" too BUT the dates of mine are too late to connect
                          with you.

                          Thanks for the call!

                          ALISTAIR
                        • deby hills
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 27, 2006
                            Hi Skye
                            just looking through your surname list and i found 2 names im searching
                            fist is DAVIDSON
                            i have ELLEN or HELEN DAVIDSON married a CHARLES COCHRANE
                            They had at least 2 daughters one SARAH b:???? and one SUSAN b:1879? possibly born in ireland SARAH married a GEORGE IRVINE and they married in Hilltown Co Down in 1913

                            the second name i have is LAUGHLAN/ LAUCHLAN
                            which i have
                            JOHN married a JANET in 1865
                            and they had 4 children named
                            MARGARET LAUCHLAN
                            HELEN WILSON LAUCHLAN
                            JANET DUNLOP LAUCHLAN
                            HUGH LAUCHLAN

                            does any of these match yous

                            deb in south australia
                            Skye <skye.sloggett@...> wrote:
                            Hi everyone,

                            I thought I'd add my surnames to the mix, in case anyone has a match.
                            I have two branches:

                            one in north Scotland (Moray, Ross & Cromarty, Nairn, Banffshire)with
                            surnames McAULAY, GARDEN, DAVIDSON, MAIN, MURRAY, STEWART, McKENZIE,
                            McPHERSON

                            and one in the south (Wigtown and Lanark) with surnames BEGG,
                            LANDELLS, McLAUGHLAN, KEITH, INNES, REID, McCLYMONT.

                            I shall reply with specifics if anyone has a match.. all my dead ends
                            would take forever to type out :)

                            Cheers,
                            Skye

                          • Helen Swann
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 12, 2007
                              Hello Nicola
                              My Barbour ancestors come from Houston, Renfrewshire, though I believe that
                              they originally came from Dumfriesshire and moved north, possibly around the
                              end of the 18th Century. Does this help you at all?
                              Helen