John Shankland

  • dynamoav
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006
      Howdy,

      I'm interested in anybody that has information on the "Dumfries"
      Shanklands? In particular, John Shankland b 1805, Durisdeer, Dumfries
      who married Martha Thomson b 1811, also Durisdeer.

      Willie
    • Helen Swann
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
        Hello Willie
        My great-great grandmother, Letitia McGregor, was born in the parish of
        Minnigaff, Kircudbright, in 1815. Her mother's name was Elizabeth
        Shankland. I had not realised that she had been born there until fairly
        recently, as her place of birth appears as Dailly, Ayrshire, in several
        census documents. I suspect that she moved to Dailly as a small child.
        Possibly her mother came from Dailly - there are a number of Shanklands in
        that area and in Ayr, where my great-great grandmother lived before she
        died. I used to correspond with a couple who ran a "Shankland Society".
        They lived at Chandlers Ford, Hampshire, and had quite an extensive database
        of Shanklands.
        Helen