Surname

  • billiebowls
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
      As it has been some time since I asked if anyone knew of anybody with
      the surname Shoyan I thought I would try again.
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
        billiebowls wrote:
        > As it has been some time since I asked if anyone knew of anybody with
        > the surname Shoyan I thought I would try again.

        A name very much too rare! Suggest you experiment with
        imagined alternative spellings. If you can point to a
        locality that may greatly accelerate the wanted outcome!

        ALISTAIR
      • Billie Milne
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
          Thank you for replying Alistair, if I may call you that, this "Hobby" is so so frustrating. Have tried all sorts of permutations but no luck. Never mind I will keep on trying.

          Regards
          W.Milne
          > As it has been some time since I asked if anyone knew of anybody with
          > the surname Shoyan I thought I would try again.

          A name very much too rare! Suggest you experiment with
          imagined alternative spellings. If you can point to a
          locality that may greatly accelerate the wanted outcome!

          ALISTAIR

        • jenniferovo
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
            --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Alistair Cameron <acameron@...>
            wrote:

            > billiebowls wrote:
            > > As it has been some time since I asked if anyone knew of anybody
            with
            > > the surname Shoyan I thought I would try again.
            >
            > A name very much too rare! Suggest you experiment with
            > imagined alternative spellings. If you can point to a
            > locality that may greatly accelerate the wanted outcome!
            >
            > ALISTAIR

            Hi billiebowls,

            I have one of my relations marrying a person with the surname of Syhani.
            I am not sure where they were married but the bride, Isabel Thompson
            Reid, was born in Tranent, East Lothian. Their first child was born in
            Edinburgh. I have not persued this line, but found this entry on a the
            1881 census of Tranent. The surnames have similar spellings don't you
            think?

            Jennifer.
          • Eileen
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2006
              Try saying the name out loud, using various accents.
              "Morfee" turned out to be Murphy with a really broad Irish accent,
              told to a Scottish census taker in 1881.
              Could it be Shawn or Sheen or Shine?

              Eileen

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 8, 2006
                Jennifer , My ancestors were all round about Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire and probably Dumfriesshire but thank you so much for replying.

                Regards
                W.Milne
                > > As it has been some time since I asked if anyone knew of anybody
                with
                > > the surname Shoyan I thought I would try again.
                >
                > A name very much too rare! Suggest you experiment with
                > imagined alternative spellings. If you can point to a
                > locality that may greatly accelerate the wanted outcome!
                >
                > ALISTAIR

                Hi billiebowls,

                I have one of my relations marrying a person with the surname of Syhani.
                I am not sure where they were married but the bride, Isabel Thompson
                Reid, was born in Tranent, East Lothian. Their first child was born in
                Edinburgh. I have not persued this line, but found this entry on a the
                1881 census of Tranent. The surnames have similar spellings don't you
                think?

                Jennifer.

              • Janet
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8, 2006
                  A strong MILNE presence also in Kincardineshire.

                  Janet

                  > Jennifer , My ancestors were all round about Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire and probably Dumfriesshire but thank you so much for replying.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > W.Milne
                • Billie Milne
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 9, 2006
                    Eileen

                    Have tried various pronunciations but not yours. Will try, thanks.

                    W. Milne
                    Try saying the name out loud, using various accents.
                    "Morfee" turned out to be Murphy with a really broad Irish accent,
                    told to a Scottish census taker in 1881.
                    Could it be Shawn or Sheen or Shine?

                    Eileen

                    >Thank you for replying Alistair, if I may call you that, this "Hobby"
                    is so so frustrating. Have tried all sorts of permutations but no
                    luck. Never mind I will keep on trying.

                  • Cecelia Heinrich
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                      I've read that the name Miles was derived from Milne and the Romans. I have Miles in my line, but I've only found them back to Yorkshire.
                      Cecelia

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 12, 2006
                        Hi,

                        I think Eileen's suggestion of Shine is an excellent one. If
                        pronounced with a strong Irish accent it would almost certainly come
                        out sounding something like "Shoin" or Shoyan. It's also a
                        relatively common surname in Ireland (the well known Irish country
                        singer Brendan Shine being a modern example). You can find out quite
                        a bit about the name (including a suggestion as to its geographical
                        origin) at the following url:

                        http://home.alphalink.com.au/~datatree/shin-001.htm#Shine%20Surname

                        Cheers,

                        Jimmy
                        --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "Billie Milne"

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                          Thank you for the information ,will certainly have a go ,as I would dearly love to find this woman as she is my gr gr grandmother on the paternal side.On my gr. grandmother's death certificate her son sadly did,' seem to know her christian name only the surname which looks like shoyan.

                          Regards
                          W.Milne

                          <billiebowls@...> wrote:

                          > Eileen
                          >
                          > Have tried various pronunciations but not yours. Will try, thanks.
                          >
                          > W. Milne

                        • Debbie John
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Hi all

                            I am researching the surname Kiloh from Aberdeenshire and was wondering if
                            there is any other people also researching this name.

                            Debbie
                            Australia

                            Advertisement: Mobiles, computers, handsets, iPODs and more!
                            http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsearch%2Fcat%5FPhones%5Fns%5FTrue%5Foff%5F0%5Fsect%5FAutomotive%5Fsort%5FotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriorityIndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished%5Fsqt%5F2%5Fsrch%5Fmobile%2Bphones%5Fsrchtype%5Fint%5Fstate%5F9%5Fstpg%5F1%5Fsubs%5FUsed%2BCars%5F%3Freferrer%3Dplacement13&_t=759568604&_r=Email_Tagline1&_m=EXT