Re: [scots-origins] Searching Highland Families

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      ScotHeritage@... wrote for tolegranny@... who wrote:

      > My husband's family came from the Isle of Lewis. Mostly McLeods. Anyone
      > researching McLeod/MacLeods of Lewis? I'm sure my dh would love to share
      > notes with you....so he can add to his own.

      And Alistair here adds to that string:

      Lewis is in the region for which the Public Library at
      Farraline Park by Inverness rail station. Suggest you may be
      helped if you'll NAME the persons and where and when they
      lived on Lewis, you may be helped. If writing then indicate
      your willingness to pay in GB currency. That fairly
      guarantees a response, many enquirers get no reply from
      churches, libraries, societies who are so often overwhelmed
      with other work.

      That Inverness library employs a Genealogist. From memory he
      is named Alistair McLeod and is from Lewis. ;~)

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

      Professional Genealogist
      http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

      PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA

      Visit Bundanoon Village Website... http://www.bundanoon.com.au/
    • sarah
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2006
        You might find www.hebrideanconnections.com to be useful - lots of genealogy and background information on Lewis communities (though not yet the whole of the island - so far it's mostly the parishes of Uig and Lochs, but it's still growing.)

        sarah