Re: [scots-origins] Searching Highland Families

  • ScotHeritage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      In a message dated 10/30/2006 9:27:26 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      tolegranny@... writes:

      My husband's family came from the Isle of Lewis. Mostly McLeods. Anyone
      researching McLeod/MacLeods of Lewis? I'm sure my dh would love to share
      notes with you....so he can add to his own.

      Angus MacLeod in Huron County Ontario has done extensive work on the
      clearances of the MacLeod I believe his web is _www.torguil.net_
      (http://www.torguil.net) .

      Hope this helps a wee bit.
      Dave

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
        ScotHeritage@... wrote for tolegranny@... who wrote:

        > My husband's family came from the Isle of Lewis. Mostly McLeods. Anyone
        > researching McLeod/MacLeods of Lewis? I'm sure my dh would love to share
        > notes with you....so he can add to his own.

        And Alistair here adds to that string:

        Lewis is in the region for which the Public Library at
        Farraline Park by Inverness rail station. Suggest you may be
        helped if you'll NAME the persons and where and when they
        lived on Lewis, you may be helped. If writing then indicate
        your willingness to pay in GB currency. That fairly
        guarantees a response, many enquirers get no reply from
        churches, libraries, societies who are so often overwhelmed
        with other work.

        That Inverness library employs a Genealogist. From memory he
        is named Alistair McLeod and is from Lewis. ;~)

        Cheers,

        ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

        Professional Genealogist
        http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

        PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA

        Visit Bundanoon Village Website... http://www.bundanoon.com.au/
      • sarah
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2006
          You might find www.hebrideanconnections.com to be useful - lots of genealogy and background information on Lewis communities (though not yet the whole of the island - so far it's mostly the parishes of Uig and Lochs, but it's still growing.)

          sarah