Alexander CHEYNE

  • Andrew Cheyne
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2006
      Hello all,

      I've joined this list in the hopes of getting some help in my family
      research. Genealogy, for me, has always been one of those hobbies that
      gets satiated in fits and starts. The last time I made any progress was
      after the birth of my son almost 2 years ago. Now, the recent birth of
      my daughter has me thinking about the family history so I'm back at it.

      When I last left off, I was trying to find a more definitive link
      between an Alexander CHEYNE I know for certain to be part of my tree,
      and an Alexander CHEYNE listed on the definitive Cheyne genealogy site (
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~cheyne/ ).

      The Alexander in question from the main Cheyne genealogy website is:

      Alexander CHEYNE b. 5 June 1862 in Ferryden, Angus, Scotland

      Alexander CHEYNE married Elizabeth (?), say 1885.

      My research on the Alexander CHEYNE in my tree is as follows:

      Alexander CHEYNE b. 9 June 1862 in Scotland d. 1921 in Montreal, Quebec,
      Canada.

      Alexander married Elizabeth Miller DEMPSTER, daughter of James DEMPSTER
      and Anne ROBERTSON, in Scotland. (Elizabeth Miller DEMPSTER was born on
      April 21, 1867 in Montrose, Scotland and died in 1933 in Montreal,
      Quebec, Canada.)

      My records come from the 1901 Canadian census. A census taken 10 years
      later actually lists the birthday as May of 1862! I have also found more
      birth records that show a birth on June 5th, registered on June 9th.

      All of the evidence seems to be pointing to the fact that these
      Alexander's are in fact the same person, but that discrepancy in birth
      dates has me befuddled. I had some more research I had done when I was
      last doing research, but, unfortunately, I can no longer find it. It
      included immigration records from the port of Montreal that listed birth
      information as well.

      The Cheyne genealogy direct link to this Alexander is here:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~cheyne/200604-p/p8961.htm
      I provided my information to Jim, who maintains the site, and it has
      already been linked together on his website, but I thought I would try
      and find a more definitive link between the two, so any information
      would be appreciated!

      Cheers,
      Andrew Cheyne
      http://cheyne.ca