Re: [scots-origins] Re: Looking for Wilson Lines

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2006
      I should explain, it is my purpose to share as much information as I have, when a name crops up that I have in my tree. I feel this is a good way of pooling information, otherwise we have absolutely no idea what other members may have; it causes members to look. I don't have any connection with WILSON.

      As I said in my post, I missed your original. Are you referring to "Grant" as a Christian or first name or a family name?

      All that said d;^) I have a SIMPSON in my DUN/DUNN tree, one Martha SIMPSON, don't know where she was born and her parents weren't mentioned on her death certificate, neither did her first born son who notified her death. As she was married before 1855 I only have the banns which as we know do not give parental names. My lucks out, but someone else might know of a Martha SIMPSON; hope this makes sense.

      Janet
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
        >I should explain, it is my purpose to share as much information as I have,
        >when a name crops up that I have in my tree. I feel this is a good way of
        >pooling information, otherwise we have absolutely no idea what other
        >members may have; it causes members to look. I don't have any
        >connection with WILSON.
        >
        > As I said in my post, I missed your original. Are you referring to
        > "Grant" as a Christian or first name or a family name?
        >
        > All that said d;^) I have a SIMPSON in my DUN/DUNN tree, one Martha
        > SIMPSON, don't know where she was born and her parents weren't mentioned
        > on her death certificate, neither did her first born son who notified her
        > death. As she was married before 1855 I only have the banns which as we
        > know do not give parental names. My lucks out, but someone else might
        > know of a Martha SIMPSON; hope this makes sense.
        >
        > Janet
      • Trena
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2006
            I am sorry, but your edited comment was overlooked, and it wasn't signed. The GRANT name I am researching is a family name.

            Janet

            >>I should explain, it is my purpose to share as much information as I have,
            >>when a name crops up that I have in my tree. I feel this is a good way of
            >>pooling information, otherwise we have absolutely no idea what other
            >>members may have; it causes members to look. I don't have any
            >>connection with WILSON.
            >>
            >> As I said in my post, I missed your original. Are you referring to
            >> "Grant" as a Christian or first name or a family name?
            >>
            >> All that said d;^) I have a SIMPSON in my DUN/DUNN tree, one Martha
            >> SIMPSON, don't know where she was born and her parents weren't mentioned
            >> on her death certificate, neither did her first born son who notified her
            >> death. As she was married before 1855 I only have the banns which as we
            >> know do not give parental names. My lucks out, but someone else might
            >> know of a Martha SIMPSON; hope this makes sense.
            >>
            >> Janet

          • Michelle
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2006
              Thanks for the replies. My Simpsons were found in the US in NJ, then
              Ohio on the river then WV and then back to Ohio. I have Israel SIMPSON
              b. abt 1817 in NJ. I am still looking for lines before that. Someone
              in the family through the years told my mom that there was a familial
              connection to (Hiram) Ulysses S. GRANT. When I first posted I got
              confused and wrote that it was to the WILSON's but it is actually
              somewhere in the SIMPSON Line, I believe with his mother. I haven't
              found her yet though.

              Thanks!

              Michelle
            • Alex Paterson
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 8, 2006
                Hello Janet,
                Just a quick query, are any of your Wilson's from
                Dumfrieshire, mine are and I also have Dunn's from Ayrshire, ?.
                Regards,
                Alex.
                >>I should explain, it is my purpose to share as much information as I have,
                >>when a name crops up that I have in my tree. I feel this is a good way of
                >>pooling information, otherwise we have absolutely no idea what other
                >>members may have; it causes members to look. I don't have any
                >>connection with WILSON.
                >>
                >> As I said in my post, I missed your original. Are you referring to
                >> "Grant" as a Christian or first name or a family name?
                >>
                >> All that said d;^) I have a SIMPSON in my DUN/DUNN tree, one Martha
                >> SIMPSON, don't know where she was born and her parents weren't mentioned
                >> on her death certificate, neither did her first born son who notified her
                >> death. As she was married before 1855 I only have the banns which as we
                >> know do not give parental names. My lucks out, but someone else might
                >> know of a Martha SIMPSON; hope this makes sense.
                >>
                >> Janet

              • Janet
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Hello Alex. For your information, the name DUNN has been described as a "vile corruption of the name of DUN" <g> You will see that in my quoted message I stated "I don't have any connection with WILSON". I would however refer you to the DUN website. Check it out here http://www.dun.org
                  My DUN/DUNN in Montrose tree is free of emigration for centuries, although they did migrate south and it is possible some stayed put in Ayrshire, though I suspect yours might have been related to those of Glasgow, possibly from John DON or DONNE. Then again if that is possible they might have been from Ireland under the name of DUNNE and the census enumerator wrote it as DUNN. Anything is possible.

                  If you have DUN/DUNN names and would like to run them past me, I will check out my tree.