Looking for Liddell..Annie Liddell

  • kozakkaren
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2006
      I'm looking for any information on Annie Liddell, apparnetly born in
      Scotland?? where exactly unknown?? She apparently was born Jan 9
      1843,I Know it's not enough information to go by, but she married John
      Begley in Toronto Ontario and died July 2 1925, it states through the
      funeral home that a John and William Begley made all arrangements..Her
      husband John was born 1839 Lanarkshire Scotland and immigrated to
      Canada around 1870/1 because he and his brother showed up in the 1871
      canadian federal census, when Annie immigrated is unknown.
      Any help would be appriacated on finding her parents and where exactly
      she was born?? siblings?? Thanks Karen
    • ocean4@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
        Hi Karen,

        Your Annie is strangely absent from the 1901 and 1911 census but I did
        happen to come across the marriage of Annie and John's daughter Annie
        in 1891. It states that she was 19 years old and born in Toronto;
        therefore you should be able to assume that either John and Annie were
        married in Scotland and John came to Canada just before his wife or
        John and Annie met in Toronto and were married sometime between 1871
        and 1872.

        One of the witnesses on the marriage certificate was a William
        Liddell; a brother of your Annie?

        If you don't have the certificate and would like me to send it along,
        just let me know. There are also certificates for at least 4 children
        of daughter Annie and husband Joseph.

        Take care,

        Karen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
          Karen wrote here:

          > I'm looking for any information on Annie Liddell, apparnetly born in
          > Scotland?? where exactly unknown?? She apparently was born Jan 9
          > 1843,

          <Christening> dates for pre- 1855 bairns seem to have been
          more frequently registered than <birth> dates, so you are a
          bit restricted. There were many babes with that name,
          indexed close to 1843 but how to pick a likely one??

          One approach is to figure whether the couple adhered to the
          common "naming rule". Look at the names of Annie's children.
          If daur #3 was named Ann/ Hannah or similar, and son #3 was
          named John then the "rule" was probably followed in which
          case you've a chance to correctly infer the parents of John
          Begley and Annie Liddell.

          At some point you may have the energy to browse Census
          indexes. I just now had a go at that and played loud music
          at the same time to relieve the tedium!! I did it since the
          names BEGLEY and LIDDELL are not very common.

          No hope really of making a firm <match>! but I can advise
          that in Lanarkshire 1851 Census there was:

          BEGLEY family at ref 625/23/35
          LIDDELL family at 625/23/49

          which proves absolutely nothing about your search! but
          illustrates, one <may> be lucky. Or sadly disappointed....
          and I am unable to point either way ;~(

          Parish 625 is Bothwell, close to Glasgow.

          Cheers,

          ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

          Professional Genealogist
          http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

          PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA

          Visit Bundanoon Village Website...
          http://www.bundanoon.com.au/
        • Katherine Liney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
            Hello Karen
            Have you tried looking for her on the 1851 census on scotlandspeople. You
            might be lucky
            Kay

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
              --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "kozakkaren" <kozakkaren@...> wrote:

              > I'm looking for any information on Annie Liddell, apparnetly born in
              > Scotland?? where exactly unknown??

              Hi Karen,

              I know that it doesn't help you pin down your Annie in Scotland, but
              from looking at Annie's death certificate, I found that she had a
              daughter Annie. I then located Annie jr's marriage certificate and it
              says that she was 19 in 1891 and born in Toronto. That makes her
              born c. 1872.

              From that, we can assume that Annie married John Begley either shortly
              after he arrived from Scotland or they were married in Scotland and
              she followed him to Canada shortly after the 1871 census.

              One of the witnesses at Annie jr's marriage was a William Liddell.
              Maybe Annie's brother? Can you search an 1861 census for Scotland
              looking for a family with both a William and an Annie b. circa 1843?

              If you don't have these certificates and would like me to forward them
              to you, just let me know.

              Karen

            • kozakkaren
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
                --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "ocean4@..." <ocean4@...> wrote:

                > --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "kozakkaren" <kozakkaren@>
                wrote:

                > > I'm looking for any information on Annie Liddell, apparnetly born
                in
                > > Scotland?? where exactly unknown??
                >
                > Hi Karen,
                >
                > I know that it doesn't help you pin down your Annie in Scotland, but
                > from looking at Annie's death certificate, I found that she had a
                > daughter Annie. I then located Annie jr's marriage certificate and
                it
                > says that she was 19 in 1891 and born in Toronto. That makes her
                > born c. 1872.
                >
                > From that, we can assume that Annie married John Begley either
                shortly
                > after he arrived from Scotland or they were married in Scotland and
                > she followed him to Canada shortly after the 1871 census.
                >
                > One of the witnesses at Annie jr's marriage was a William Liddell.
                > Maybe Annie's brother? Can you search an 1861 census for Scotland
                > looking for a family with both a William and an Annie b. circa 1843?
                >
                > If you don't have these certificates and would like me to forward
                them
                > to you, just let me know.
                >
                > Karen
                > >
                >Hi Karen
                And thank you very much for that information.. I would never have
                thought of doing it that way, I quess a different approach from a
                differnt person usually helps, Yes if you could be so kind and
                forward the cert..I would appricate it very much, and your help with
                Annie is much appricated, she has been a brick wall..
                Again thanks for your help.. Karen