Glasgow Cemeteries

  • nannybabs
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
      Please can anyone help. Is there a 'Janes Field' Cemetery in Glasgow.
      A cousins relative is buried there and we cannot locate it.
      Any help would be appreciated.

      Barbara
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2006
        There's a Jeanfield Cemetery in Perth, if that's what you're looking for?

        Chris

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2006
          Hi Barbara,
          Your `Janes Field` rung a bell with me. There is a Janefield Street in the east side of Glasgow and there`s certainly a cemetary nearby . I found this excerpt below in a site on the origin and history of Glasgow Streets. I never knew this bit of history so I`ve learned something too.

          Anne

          JANEFIELD STREET
          was formed on the lands of that name, which had been acquired by Robert M'Nair, grocer in King Street (City), and named for his wife, her maiden sobriquet being Jean Holmes. The place has since then been converted into a burying-ground - the Eastern Cemetery.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 13, 2006
            Please can anyone help. Is there a 'Janes Field' Cemetery in Glasgow.
            A cousins relative is buried there and we cannot locate it.
            Any help would be appreciated.

            Barbara

            _Yyyyou_._,_.___
            Messages in this topic (8) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
            Messages | Files | Photos | Members
            Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.

            Learn More

            Share Feedback

            Recent Activity
            a.. 10New Members
            Visit Your Group .
            You are looking for the Eastern Necropolis, also known locally as Janefield Cemetery. This is a very large Burial Ground in the east end of Glasgow accessed from The Gallowgate. Try Googling "glasgow cemeteries".
            Regards
            _
            Regards

            _,_._,___

          • David Kilgour
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2006
              Janefield cemetery, aka The Eastern Necropolis is on the Gallowgate
              right next to Paradise (Celtic Park for the uninitiated)
              David Kilgour

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 13, 2006
                > Please can anyone help. Is there a 'Janes Field' Cemetery in Glasgow.
                > A cousins relative is buried there and we cannot locate it.
                > Any help would be appreciated.
                >
                > Barbara
                >
                > There is a Janefield Cemetery in the eastend of Glasgow in Gallowgate near
                > Parkhead.

                Bill

              • lightwoodpark
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 13, 2006
                  --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, "nannybabs" <bee.marsh@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Please can anyone help. Is there a 'Janes Field' Cemetery in
                  Glasgow.
                  > A cousins relative is buried there and we cannot locate it.
                  > Any help would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Barbara

                  Barbara, there is a Janefield Cemetery in Glasgow. It is situated in
                  The "Gallogate" Parhead. I visited it last year
                  Rita
                • peggjohn66
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14, 2006
                    I think the cemetery mentioned is really Janefield cemetery, a
                    Jewish cemetery, in the East End of Glasgow. For those of you not
                    acquainted with Glasgow, it is off Gallowgate, alongside St. Michael
                    RC Church, and across the road from the car park of The Forge
                    shopping centre. It also backs on to Celtic Park.

                    Do a search on WWW and I am sure you will find several references to
                    Janefield Cemetery.

                    wrote:

                    > Please can anyone help. Is there a 'Janes Field' Cemetery in
                    Glasgow.
                    > A cousins relative is buried there and we cannot locate it.
                    > Any help would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Barbara

                  • nannybabs
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 18, 2006
                      Thank you to all who replied to my query.

                      You have been extremely helpful and I have had a very busy time looking
                      into all the suggestions. All I need now is to make contact with my
                      relative in Canada and find out the deacesed name and date of death and
                      then look into getting a death certificate and so on.

                      My appreciative thanks to you all,

                      Good hunting

                      Barbara