Mystery Photo - ancesters form Scotland to Canada

  • Maggie Barron
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28 6:13 AM
      http://community.webshots.com/photo/115568493/1173491445053548326NUbWXO#

      The photo above (click on link) was passed down through the generations of the Grandmother's family. My grandmother told me before she passed away that her grandfather, James Tait Shiells told the family "never to forget who these people are (the people in the photo) and to always remember them"....she doesn't remember him ever saying who the couple were (I'm assuming they're a couple). The photo is a 'james Inglis cabinet photo' taken in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and there's no date on the photo, but James Inglis was a photographer in Montreal between 1866-mid 1880's.
      I was looking closer at the photo and I noticed that the man is wearing an odd-looking suit with some kind of black material around his neck that lookks as if it's attached to the suit or could be a cape of some kind. I also noticed that this material appears to be attached to some 'strings' that are draped across his chest. He's holding a rolled-up paper of some kind, although this may just be a prop and the woman is holding a bible. These ancesters of my great-great grandfather (my grandmother's grandfather) all emigrated from the Borders area in Scotland, mostly from Roxburgh. Does anyone know who these people might be or at least what kind of suit/uniform the man is wearing?
      The couple most likely has ties to one or several of these families:
      Shiells, Tait, Hislop/Hyslop, Muir, Candlish/McCandlish, Boa, Turnbull.

      Thanks!
      Maggie Barron
      Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

    • gordon crooks
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28 10:58 AM
        Maggie: He is wearing a photoghpers cape which is thrown over the camera
        when taking a picture, it eliminates exposure to the light which could ruin
        the picture.

        Gordon
        > The photo above (click on link) was passed down through the generations of
        > the Grandmother's family. My grandmother told me before she passed away
        > that her grandfather, James Tait Shiells told the family "never to forget
        > who these people are (the people in the photo) and to always remember
        > them"....she doesn't remember him ever saying who the couple were (I'm
        > assuming they're a couple). The photo is a 'james Inglis cabinet photo'
        > taken in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and there's no date on the photo, but
        > James Inglis was a photographer in Montreal between 1866-mid 1880's.
        > I was looking closer at the photo and I noticed that the man is wearing an
        > odd-looking suit with some kind of black material around his neck that
        > lookks as if it's attached to the suit or could be a cape of some kind. I
        > also noticed that this material appears to be attached to some 'strings'
        > that are draped across his chest. He's holding a rolled-up paper of some
        > kind, although this may just be a prop and the woman is holding a bible.
        > These ancesters of my great-great grandfather (my grandmother's
        > grandfather) all emigrated from the Borders area in Scotland, mostly from
        > Roxburgh. Does anyone know who these people might be or at least what kind
        > of suit/uniform the man is wearing?
        > The couple most likely has ties to one or several of these families:
        > Shiells, Tait, Hislop/Hyslop, Muir, Candlish/McCandlish, Boa, Turnbull.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Maggie Barron
        > Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

      • Heidi Graf
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28 12:22 PM
          Maggie,

          Based off the information provided below, I'd have to say they had to be Shiells relatives. For your gg-grandfather to say to the entire family "never to forget who these people are (the people in the photo) and to always remember them" means to me they were very special to him. Possiby his mother and father or grandmother and grandfather on the Shiells side?

          Are there any other living relatives of your grandmother you could contact to see if any of them recall whom exactly the couple may be?

          No idea on the costumes... I'd suggest going to your local library and borrowing a book on dating old photography. They usually have great photos of clothing and the like to pinpoint an exact date within 3-5 years. You may try searching the Internet for information on both Canadian and Scottish military uniforms in the mid to late 1800s.

          One last thing to consider is where did you find the photo? Was it in a box that had a predominance of one surname over another? Are there other photos of people, families, or couples that remotely resemble them? You may get somewhere here if you have a lot of photos, as there may be children or earlier photos of this couple that look like them. They are very striking in appearence, especially the woman, and could probably easily be identified by her unique features if you found a younger (or older) photo of her.

          Good luck!
          Heidi