Alexander Maughan MARTIN

  • Elizabeth Howarth
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
      I am new to the list and I am hoping someone can help me.

      I have the GROS Data number (820/00 0002) for Alexander Maugham MARTIN, his parent's names (William MARTIN and Margaret HAIRSTENS), the exact date of birth (26Jul1834) and the Parish (Dryfesdale), but when I search IGI Births and Christenings I cannot get a result.

      Please, what am I doing wrong?
      TIA,
      Elizabeth
      Sydney Australia

    • Andrew Paterson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2006
        Hi Elizabeth,

        It's not anything that you are doing wrong. Dryfesdale is one of the many
        parishes where the LDS have not put the male births on the online version of
        the IGI. If you had access to the microfiche IGI which can be found in some
        libraries, or the CD-ROM IGI which can be found in the LDS Family History
        Centres, then I would expect him and any brothers that he may have to be
        there.

        His sister Jean Thorburn Martin of 09-May-1840 is there on the online IGI.

        All the best,

        Andrew Paterson

        >I am new to the list and I am hoping someone can help me.
        >
        > I have the GROS Data number (820/00 0002) for Alexander Maugham MARTIN,
        > his parent's names (William MARTIN and Margaret HAIRSTENS), the exact date
        > of birth (26Jul1834) and the Parish (Dryfesdale), but when I search IGI
        > Births and Christenings I cannot get a result.
        >
        > Please, what am I doing wrong?
        > TIA,
        > Elizabeth
        > Sydney Australia
      • Frances Ryan
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2006
          It's my understanding that IGI entries are made from
          information submitted to the index from church records
          transcribed by the LDS, census entries and various
          family histories.

          Official Scottish records - BMD, Old Parish Registers,
          etc. have been held in Scotland. The Scottish census
          is separate from the UK census.

          So it seems, the church records and census info for
          Dryfesdale (1834) have not yet been submitted to the
          IGI. Best of all, it means you may not have done
          anything wrong, it simply isn't there.

          Eventhough you may have the original document for
          Alexander, keep in mind spelling and other errors may
          have been made transcribing/entering info and family
          histories to the IGI

          Hope this helps,

          Frances

          --- Elizabeth Howarth <> wrote:

          > I am new to the list and I am hoping someone can
          > help me.
          >
          > I have the GROS Data number (820/00 0002) for
          > Alexander Maugham MARTIN, his parent's names
          > (William MARTIN and Margaret HAIRSTENS), the exact
          > date of birth (26Jul1834) and the Parish
          > (Dryfesdale), but when I search IGI Births and
          > Christenings I cannot get a result.
          >
          > Please, what am I doing wrong?
          > TIA,
          > Elizabeth
          > Sydney Australia

          > removed]

        • Elizabeth Howarth
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
            Hi Andrew,

            Thank you for the information about Alexander's sister Jean. Could you
            please tell me how you found her? I am quite familiar with searching online
            for English records, but my knowledge of the Scottish data is very slight.
            Is there any way for instance, of trying to find out whether Jean MARTIN
            married?

            I will visit my local LDS centre and see if I can find any brothers,
            although I have a feeling there were only the two children.

            Kind regards, and thanks again,
            Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
              Hi,

              Since you have a good starting point from the GROS data, you can look
              at more local sources.

              If you look at :

              http://www.clans.org.uk/clans_3.html

              You will see a set of links to family history resources in different
              counties around Scotland, as well as different National ones.

              You may be able to follow through on these. Dryfsdale parish was in
              Dumfries [shire] (near Lockerbie), so the links to records in Dumfries
              and Galloway (modern county equivalent) may be useful. They are quite
              friendly there and the library staff will often respond to a phone
              call with useful information.

              Frank

              ----------

              --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, Frances Ryan <paddyscar@...> wrote:

              > It's my understanding that IGI entries are made from
              > information submitted to the index from church records
              > transcribed by the LDS, census entries and various
              > family histories.
              >
              > Official Scottish records - BMD, Old Parish Registers,
              > etc. have been held in Scotland. The Scottish census
              > is separate from the UK census.
              >
              > So it seems, the church records and census info for
              > Dryfesdale (1834) have not yet been submitted to the
              > IGI. Best of all, it means you may not have done
              > anything wrong, it simply isn't there.
              >
              > Eventhough you may have the original document for
              > Alexander, keep in mind spelling and other errors may
              > have been made transcribing/entering info and family
              > histories to the IGI
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              >
              > Frances
              >

              > --- Elizabeth Howarth <> wrote:
              >
              > > I am new to the list and I am hoping someone can
              > > help me.
              > >
              > > I have the GROS Data number (820/00 0002) for
              > > Alexander Maugham MARTIN, his parent's names
              > > (William MARTIN and Margaret HAIRSTENS), the exact
              > > date of birth (26Jul1834) and the Parish
              > > (Dryfesdale), but when I search IGI Births and
              > > Christenings I cannot get a result.
              > >
              > > Please, what am I doing wrong?
              > > TIA,
              > > Elizabeth
              > > Sydney Australia

              > > removed]

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Find your next car at http://autos.yahoo.ca

            • Elizabeth Howarth
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
                Hi Andrew and Frank,

                You really got me started again on this side of the family. Thank you.
                Andrew thank you for finding Jean for me.

                Frank, through www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx I found the
                Dumfries
                1851 Census and 3 brothers (including a set of twins!) and a sister whose
                name may have been wrongly transcribed. I can't find any of the family in
                1861. Maybe someone else might have better refined searching skills than
                mine.

                The family according to the 1851 Census is:
                William MARTIN born c 1794 Lockerbie
                Margaret (was HAIRSTENS) MARTIN born c 1810 Maxwelltown
                Thomas Hairsten(s) MARTIN born 9 Nov 1832 Lockerbie (Bank Clerk)
                Alexander Maughan MARTIN born 26 Jul 1834 Lockerbie (Draper Apprentice)(my
                gr-grandfather)
                Archibald Douglas MARTIN born 3 Mar 1838 Lockerbie (Scholar)
                James Hairstens MARTIN born 3 Mar 1838 Lockerbie (Scholar)
                Jane F MARTIN aged 10 born Lockerbie (Scholar)

                Unfortunately poor Jean Thorburn MARTIN born 1840?? does not appear as part
                of her family - transcription error? She was the right age to be Jane!!

                Alexander married Jane Lister (who was born in Middleham Yorkshire, but was
                living in West Derby Lancashire in 1861) in 1863, but I cannot find any
                record of the marriage in FreeBMD or in the online Scottish records. (The
                Listers had a cook Margaret Rogan born 1840 in Dumfries!)

                I am hoping someone may be able to find some or all of my family members for
                me.
                Thank you for your patience to read this through to the end.

                Elizabeth
                Sydney, Australia

                > Since you have a good starting point from the GROS data, you can look
                > at more local sources.
                >
                > If you look at :
                >
                > http://www.clans.org.uk/clans_3.html
                >
                > You will see a set of links to family history resources in different
                > counties around Scotland, as well as different National ones.
                >
                > You may be able to follow through on these. Dryfsdale parish was in
                > Dumfries [shire] (near Lockerbie), so the links to records in Dumfries
                > and Galloway (modern county equivalent) may be useful. They are quite
                > friendly there and the library staff will often respond to a phone
                > call with useful information.
                >
                > Frank
              • Andrew Paterson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Hi Elizabeth,

                  > Unfortunately poor Jean Thorburn MARTIN born 1840??
                  > does not appear as part of her family - transcription error?
                  > She was the right age to be Jane!!

                  The names Jean and Jane are regularly fouind in use for the same person on
                  different documents. I would count this as one and the same person.

                  > Jane F MARTIN aged 10 born Lockerbie (Scholar)

                  It is quite plausible that the "F" is an error for a "T". In some old
                  handwriting styles they can be quite similar.

                  All the best,

                  Andrew Paterson

                  > You really got me started again on this side of the family. Thank you.
                  > Andrew thank you for finding Jean for me.

                  <snipped>
                • margaret mccue
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
                    hi i though i would let you know. out or interest i though my mothers name was jane gordon anderson before her mariage i only found out in aug 2005 that it is jane gordon anderson mcnab on my birth its jean on my older sister its jane you can guess my suprise all the best margaret.

                    Andrew Paterson <adp@...> wrote: Hi Elizabeth,