Re: Etiquette (McGuigan)

  • mcgjune
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi Linda

      I smiled when I read your email. I have had a similar experience
      when the family name turns out to be something completely different.
      I have discovered a similar indiscretion with my husband's 2xgt
      grandfather who was eventually passed off as the son of his mother's
      dead husband! I struggled to find him until I visited the Records
      Office and stumbled across his b.cert under his real father's name -
      his real father was present at registration. I must admit at having
      lost heart at my McGuire search and now am struggling with the new
      McGovern line . . . so if anyone has ever come across a miner in
      Maryhill by the name of John McGovern - I will be delighted to hear
      from you.

      It was a real shock for the family!

      --- In scots-origins@yahoogroups.com, LindaInverness@... wrote:
      > My great grandfather was illigitimate. It took me ages to find his
      > record. It was only after I found his mother's marriage that I
      managed to trace
      > him and discovered that he wasn't actually a McGuigan by birth. It
      was pure
      > guesswork and luck that I found his mother. I typed in McGuigan in
      the Family
      > Search site and found that Andrew McGuigan married Alice Rylands in
      > From there I typed in Alfred Rylands and there he was!! He was
      born 2 years
      > before the marriage in Falkirk. Interestingly, his middle name is
      Guillard which