[scots-origins] John Douglas Maxwell, 1863

  • alexsa@pancultural.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
      hello to all: I really need help. My grandfather, John Douglas
      Maxwell, b 1863 in Scotland (possibly April/May). Family tales say
      Edinburgh. On Nov 4, 1908 he marries his second wife (according to
      marriage license) Hazel. E Foss, in Portland OR. Profession given as
      motorman (also contractor). I want to find birth records for
      him/parents/siblings, the year and how of emigration & arrival in US
      (or Canada), first marriage etc. I have checked GROS, IGI and some
      ships records leaving Scotland -- all to no avail, except I can find
      the second marriage record, and birth record of my father. I do have
      some birth/christeningmatches without a middle name for 2 yrs
      plus/minus from GROS, but I am not sure what to do next -- does it pay
      to order them all, when the locations do not seem to match Edinburgh?
      Does any one have any advice re how to get more info, narrow the
      search, where else I might look? Would it be useful to search census
      records for a youth of that name (1871? or 1881?)? If so, how does one
      do this from the US?
      any help appreciated. alexsandra
    • Kevin McKenna
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 1999
        Hello

        I have a John Maxwell b. 29 Dec 1864, Parish of Dumfroes, son of John
        Maxwell and Grace Corrie.

        Kevin McKenna

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/scots-origins/?start=3803