Re: [scots-origins] Half twigs

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
      AnneDunne@... wrote:

      > Now I have a question? If Bo'ness was formerly Linlithgow, when did the
      > name change?

      The change was probably gradual, with overlaps during which
      official docs such as Registrations got written with one or
      other place name.

      Complicating lives we have the fact that Linlithgow town,
      was in Linlithgow-shire [read County] just as Lanark is a
      town in Lanark-shire and Lancaster is a town in Lancashire.

      Enjoy the pain!

      Edinburgh-shire is now called Midlothian. Haddington-shire
      is now East Lothian.

      USA has a District of Columbia. Dunno what the County name
      is, but darned if I know where a town of Columbia is. Seems
      the emigrant Americans escaped from some of the silliness of
      UK!!

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR M. CAMERON
    • gordon crooks
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
        If you think the terminology used in Scotland is bad let me remind you that
        they also took it with them to the State of Pennsylvania, USA. Here is an
        example: Waynesboro,Bourgh of ,Washington Township, Franklin County,
        Pennsylvania, USA.

        Gordon

      • AnneDunne@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hi, Now you started me thinking! District of Columbia ??? There is NO
          county, State, etc. with that name. (Columbia) Almost at once, the song "Columbia
          the Gem of the Ocean" came into my head ! If I keep thinking about it, all
          the words will come back, too. The last line says ...."the Red, White and
          Blue". I am feeling very old and feeble, cause I can't remember the whole song.
          (That, creeps up on you!)
          Maybe I'll Google it!

          By the way Janet, (from another message) You will have to go back a little
          further to get my birth date! James is my GGGrandfather. I don't discount
          ANY body with the same name! A found 'Cousin' (I don't bother with the
          'removed', etc.) has James as a GGGGrandfather. She is much younger than I.

          Regards,
          Anna Wyber Dunne

        • gordon crooks
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
            The district of Colombia was carved out of the State of Virginia and
            Maryland and to be the seat of the Federal (National Goverment). The correct
            address is:
            Washington, D.C. (plus a zip code number)
            We all know where it is and have no trouble finding it because it's where
            those idiots who attempt to govern us reside.

            Gordon
            > Hi, Now you started me thinking! District of Columbia ??? There is NO
            > county, State, etc. with that name. (Columbia) Almost at once, the song
            > "Columbia
            > the Gem of the Ocean" came into my head ! If I keep thinking about it,
            > all
            > the words will come back, too. The last line says ...."the Red, White and
            > Blue". I am feeling very old and feeble, cause I can't remember the whole
            > song.
            > (That, creeps up on you!)
            > Maybe I'll Google it!
            >
            > By the way Janet, (from another message) You will have to go back a
            > little
            > further to get my birth date! James is my GGGrandfather. I don't
            > discount
            > ANY body with the same name! A found 'Cousin' (I don't bother with the
            > 'removed', etc.) has James as a GGGGrandfather. She is much younger than
            > I.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Anna Wyber Dunne

          • worldlywanderer
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
              One might also point out that these people who escaped from the silliness of
              the UK are the same ones (or least some of them are) who voted for George
              Bush

              Regards
              A Silly Scot