Re: Re: [scots-origins] Half twigs

  • caroline.day2@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
      Does anyone have any idea where to find BO'NESS in the 1861 census - is it still Lanark then? Sorry not from the area and can hear you all shouting at me!

      Kind regards.
      Caroline

      Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
      Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
    • gordon crooks
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
        Janet: It's nice to know that someone else is in the same boat. I have found
        all my main ancestors and their graves etc. from 1741 and the farms etc. and
        am down to looking for 2nd wives, off shoots etc. Have written a book, been
        helping others and gotten involved in odd history tid bits such as why did
        one of my ancestors get scalped by the Indians. All of this keeps me fairly
        busy and suits me fine!

        Gordon
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
          Caroline, It's in West Lothian. Also know as Borroustoun (sp ?)

          Anna Wyber Dunne

        • Andrew Paterson
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
            Hi Caroline,

            Bo'ness was never in Lanarkshire. Always in West Lothian (close to the
            boundary with Stirlingshire).

            All the best,

            Andrew Paterson

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
              Bo'ness is not and never has been in Lanarkshire. It is now in West Lothian,
              formerly Linlithgow but that's the easy bit. Bo'ness was originally
              Borrowstouness and half of modern Bo'ness was old Carriden.

              Regards

              Graham Marshall

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                Hi

                Bo'ness will come under West Lothian formerly Linlithgowshire

              • AnneDunne@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Now I have a question? If Bo'ness was formerly Linlithgow, when did the
                  name change?
                  My GGGrandfather James Wyber states on his Military Records, he was born in
                  Linlithgow, Linlithgow. I find a James and siblings born in the areas of
                  Bo'ness,
                  Linlithgow, etc. Even though I have found that his birthdate was October of
                  1791, he states (records) that he was born in 1792. (I also find there was a
                  'delayed' recording of his christening). I don't think it is so far out, to
                  reject this being my GGGrandpa.
                  Also, the naming pattern fits !!

                  I am curious as to when the name change took place. Any one know?

                  Regards,
                  Anna Wyber Dunne

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                    Hi Anne

                    Bo'ness and Linlithgow are two different towns but both are in West Lothian
                    which was previously known as Linlithgowshire.

                  • worldlywanderer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                      It didn't. Bo'ness was in LinlithgowSHIRE which is now West Lothian. Did you
                      try the Carriden parish?

                      Regards

                      Graham Marshall

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                        Probably under local government reorganisations.
                        As to him being your GrGrGrandpa, may I comment that my Gt+ 3 Grandpa was born in 1802; maybe you were born during WW2? :-) I just wonder if there's another in there somewhere; its so easy to overlook a line given the Scottish naming patterns.

                        Janet
                        Traced: Dun/Dunn, Angus
                        Sherret, Kincardineshire
                        Chester, Glasgow
                        Rowat, Campbell, Argyll

                        > Now I have a question? If Bo'ness was formerly Linlithgow, when did the
                        > name change?
                        > My GGGrandfather James Wyber states on his Military Records, he was born in
                        > Linlithgow, Linlithgow. I find a James and siblings born in the areas of
                        > Bo'ness,
                        > Linlithgow, etc. Even though I have found that his birthdate was October of
                        > 1791, he states (records) that he was born in 1792. (I also find there was a
                        > 'delayed' recording of his christening). I don't think it is so far out, to
                        > reject this being my GGGrandpa.
                        > Also, the naming pattern fits !!
                        >
                        > I am curious as to when the name change took place. Any one know?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Anna Wyber Dunne
                      • Andrew Paterson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                          Hi Anna,

                          There was no date when the county name changed. Very loosely spreaking,
                          prior to the mid 19th century, it was more commonly called Linlithowshire.
                          During the later 19th century, either name was used. Into the 20th century,
                          the term Linlithgowshire seemed to fall out of use. That may have been
                          influenced by the local Government Scotland Act (1889) which reorganised
                          county boundaries and set up county councils.

                          The same applies to Edinburghshire / Midlothian, Haddingtonshire / East
                          Lothian, Forfarshire / Angus and Elginshire / Moray.

                          All the best,

                          Andrew Paterson

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                            AnneDunne@... wrote:

                            > Now I have a question? If Bo'ness was formerly Linlithgow, when did the
                            > name change?

                            The change was probably gradual, with overlaps during which
                            official docs such as Registrations got written with one or
                            other place name.

                            Complicating lives we have the fact that Linlithgow town,
                            was in Linlithgow-shire [read County] just as Lanark is a
                            town in Lanark-shire and Lancaster is a town in Lancashire.

                            Enjoy the pain!

                            Edinburgh-shire is now called Midlothian. Haddington-shire
                            is now East Lothian.

                            USA has a District of Columbia. Dunno what the County name
                            is, but darned if I know where a town of Columbia is. Seems
                            the emigrant Americans escaped from some of the silliness of
                            UK!!

                            Cheers,

                            ALISTAIR M. CAMERON
                          • gordon crooks
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
                              If you think the terminology used in Scotland is bad let me remind you that
                              they also took it with them to the State of Pennsylvania, USA. Here is an
                              example: Waynesboro,Bourgh of ,Washington Township, Franklin County,
                              Pennsylvania, USA.

                              Gordon

                            • AnneDunne@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
                                Hi, Now you started me thinking! District of Columbia ??? There is NO
                                county, State, etc. with that name. (Columbia) Almost at once, the song "Columbia
                                the Gem of the Ocean" came into my head ! If I keep thinking about it, all
                                the words will come back, too. The last line says ...."the Red, White and
                                Blue". I am feeling very old and feeble, cause I can't remember the whole song.
                                (That, creeps up on you!)
                                Maybe I'll Google it!

                                By the way Janet, (from another message) You will have to go back a little
                                further to get my birth date! James is my GGGrandfather. I don't discount
                                ANY body with the same name! A found 'Cousin' (I don't bother with the
                                'removed', etc.) has James as a GGGGrandfather. She is much younger than I.

                                Regards,
                                Anna Wyber Dunne

                              • gordon crooks
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
                                  The district of Colombia was carved out of the State of Virginia and
                                  Maryland and to be the seat of the Federal (National Goverment). The correct
                                  address is:
                                  Washington, D.C. (plus a zip code number)
                                  We all know where it is and have no trouble finding it because it's where
                                  those idiots who attempt to govern us reside.

                                  Gordon
                                  > Hi, Now you started me thinking! District of Columbia ??? There is NO
                                  > county, State, etc. with that name. (Columbia) Almost at once, the song
                                  > "Columbia
                                  > the Gem of the Ocean" came into my head ! If I keep thinking about it,
                                  > all
                                  > the words will come back, too. The last line says ...."the Red, White and
                                  > Blue". I am feeling very old and feeble, cause I can't remember the whole
                                  > song.
                                  > (That, creeps up on you!)
                                  > Maybe I'll Google it!
                                  >
                                  > By the way Janet, (from another message) You will have to go back a
                                  > little
                                  > further to get my birth date! James is my GGGrandfather. I don't
                                  > discount
                                  > ANY body with the same name! A found 'Cousin' (I don't bother with the
                                  > 'removed', etc.) has James as a GGGGrandfather. She is much younger than
                                  > I.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Anna Wyber Dunne

                                • worldlywanderer
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
                                    One might also point out that these people who escaped from the silliness of
                                    the UK are the same ones (or least some of them are) who voted for George
                                    Bush

                                    Regards
                                    A Silly Scot