1861 Census - Scotland

  • Gloria J Moloney
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2005
      Does anyone know if the 1861 Scottish Census is available on line?
      I'm trying to find a family group, probably in Roxburghshire.

      Head: Robert FAIRBAIRN, Ag Lab b c1824 Smailholm, ROX
      Wife: Janet (Jessie) PALMER b c1819 Ettrick, SEL
      Son: Thomas FAIRBAIRN b c1854 Galashiels, SEL or ROX
      Son: James FAIRBAIRN b c1857 Galashiels, SEL or ROX

      I can't find a birth record for Thomas FAIRBAIRN anywhere, but I
      have him as part of the family in the 1871 Census. I'm now trying
      to track them backwards from Melrose in 1871.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Gloria J Moloney (nee WATT)
      Caboolture, Australia
      Interests: FAIRBAIRN - SEL, ROX, MLN
      WATT - ABD, MLN
      PALMER - SEL, ROX
      HOPE - ROX
      STEWART - WLN, ABD, MLN
      PETER(S) - ABD
      THOMSON - ABD
      MILNE - ABD
    • sarah
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2005
        1861 is due to be on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk this winter, according to
        their site - (also 41 and 51) - I'm holding my breath....

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
          Gloria J Moloney wrote:

          > Head: Robert FAIRBAIRN, Ag Lab b c1824 Smailholm, ROX
          > Wife: Janet (Jessie) PALMER b c1819 Ettrick, SEL
          > Son: Thomas FAIRBAIRN b c1854 Galashiels, SEL or ROX
          > Son: James FAIRBAIRN b c1857 Galashiels, SEL or ROX
          >
          > I can't find a birth record for Thomas FAIRBAIRN anywhere, but I
          > have him as part of the family in the 1871 Census.

          Galashiels births registered 1851- 1854 include Episcopal
          congregation, probably missing from the OPR Index.

          In 1983 those records were in care of the Minister. Possibly
          now in General Register House and thus not accessible online
          nor at LDS FH Centres.

          Cheers,

          ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

          Professional Genealogist