Re: [scots-origins] trying again - Shoyen or Schoen?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
      Rena McCarthy wrote:

      > Sorry but I've not heard of the surname Shoyen, nor can I think of a similar
      > one. familysearch.org also cannot bring up anything other than "Show(e)".

      FAMILY REGISTRY has name SHOYER, a clerk may write <n> so
      hurriedly so it looks like <r>.

      Sarah Shoyer who died 1878, spouse of Erasmus Frizzle was
      researched by Lucille Neuberger.

      FRIZZLE is a Scots surname variant of FRASER.

      Cheers,

      ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

      Professional Genealogist
      http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

      PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA
    • Anne Brennan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
        Have you tried looking for people with the surname Shewan or Shuhan?

        Anne

      • Billie Milne
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
          Dear Anne,

          Yes, I have tried all sorts of permutations with no luck. Thank you anyway.

          Regards

          W. Milne
          > Have you tried looking for people with the surname Shewan or Shuhan?
          >
          > Anne

        • Rena McCarthy
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
            Have you scrolled through freebmd?

            If the name below was a typo error with a 'v' instead of a 'y' - this could
            be your surname?

            1841 Census

            Piece: SCT1841/692 Place: Leith-Midlothian Enumeration District: 34

            Civil Parish: Leith South Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Leith
            South

            Folio: 34 Page: 18

            Address: Water Lane Burgess Close

            Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks

            SHOVENS Peter M 55 Merchant Seaman Overseas - Foreign

            SHOVENS Sarah F 45 Midlothian

            Cheers,

            Rena

            --
            > Regards
            >> > Have you tried looking for people with the surname Shewan or Shuhan?
            ---