Re: [scots-origins] Inches, Inverness Parish, Inverness-shire

  • mbk53@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2005
      Dear Susan,

      Thank you very much for the offer. I'd be very interested in any McDonald
      information. I believe my McDonald's came from Glenmoriston and must have
      lived and worked at Inches for while before moving to Dundee Canada in 1830,
      then to Ontario before settling there.

      Mary Beth Kelly

    • mbk53@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 29, 2005
        Carol,

        The quote would be great. Do you know what the time frame is for the
        reference? It hadn't occured to me that the farm was owned by a McDonald. Although
        my Mitchell ancestors came from Coburty, Aberdeenshire in 1670 and when I
        went to see the farm I found that a Mitchell owned it today. I'd love to learn
        more.

        Thanks so much,

        Mary Beth Kelly

      • Carol Galbraith
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi Mary Beth,

          I'll bring the book with me tomorrow but I seem to recall 1900 being
          mentioned.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
            Hi Mary Beth,

            The book is "Bygone Lochaber" by Somerled MacMillan.

            Under the Chapter "MacDonalds of Bohuntine" on page 156 - "....Angus was
            succeeded by his eldest son Angus Ban, 9th of Bohuntine, who lived latterly
            at Torgulbin. He married Christina MacKintosh, with issue - Angus, who was
            unmarried and had the farm of Inch; James who owned the "MacDonald Arms",
            Fort William, Donald, John and several daughters."

            You can see why I thought it might have been in the Bohuntine area!