Re: [scots-origins] Gaelic

  • wally & alison Fraser
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 4 2:19 PM
      Though I would not insult the Scots by trying to spell it, I suspect what
      you heard was the gaelic for "water of life" or the national dram. Whisky
      so truely the water of life.

      AF}(NZ)
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5 4:58 AM
        Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments.
        Miriam

      • ScotHeritage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 6 7:56 AM
          In a message dated 7/5/2005 5:42:03 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          wafan@... writes:

          Let me assure you sir or madam there is not insult or slight ever taken by
          one who tries to speak or write the Gaelic uisge-beatha (being very dyslexic I
          had to look up the spelling to insure it was correct) it is pronounced, more
          or less Eee sh kah va

          One of my uncles made the best in all the Gaidhhealtachd (Gael Tech) For
          many years the Inland Revenue attempted to seek out his wee pot of gold, but all
          to no avail. Then one Sabbath afternoon, he went down to check his stock and
          possibly get a wee dram and there was a loud boom and the largest blue flame
          I have ever seen in my life and the still was gone. Many said it was the lord
          punishing him, and for that matter the whole community/village for his
          indulgences on the Sunday. In those days you did not draw water from the well,
          cook a meal, plow a field or any type of work from Saturday midnight to Sunday
          Midnight. All work and preparation was done on the Saturday evening. The
          Sunday was spent reading the Bible, in quiet talk, or just sitting by the fire or
          outside with your pipe. The wee ones constantly heard " Wh ee shT a veel "
          be quiet or quiet down.
          Cheers
          Dave