Some guidance..please...again

  • jeannie vadars
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hello All,
      l am wondering if someone could help me out again with
      a question, l am sorry to keep picking everyones
      brains but this genealogy is all new to me and l get
      to a new point and sit there and know what l have to
      go look for but havent a clue where to look for it !!!
      Ok..my problem is that l have researched a much as l
      can in Scotland and am proud to say that l have in the
      last few days found my great, great grandparent who
      were actually born in Ireland,migrating to scotland
      before they married, so first question is ,can i
      search \Irish records the same way as l have been
      searching them using an online system where you can
      view the register over the net?
      Second question is l have been told that my great
      grandfather went to Canada at some stage where he died
      ( but of course no one can tel me exactly where in
      Canada), how do l go about finding that out, would
      some goverment department in scotland hold lists for
      outward passengers, or do l look at Canadian
      goverments for inward passenger lists?
      any help would be of great appriciation.
      Jeannie...
      P.s Jeannie who just got comfortable searching
      scottish files and now gets thrown into a tetther half
      way around the world !!!!..they had to keep on the
      move didnt they !!!

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
    • jabrisby@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
        Are you referring to the Province or Brisby Family? I am doing research on
        my husband's family and have been looking for both. Any Help would be greatly
        appreciated.

        Judy Brisby

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
          Jan wrote here:

          > i have some info on this family from angus, scotland to share. i am
          > trying to make a connection to australia if any one can help.
          > jan

          COVENTRY is an uncommon surname. I am not related but have
          biographical leads to the name in Wagga Wagga, Armidale,
          Kilcoy, all in NSW- and in Albany, Katanning, both in
          WA. If you'll give me some names/ dates I'll try for a
          match.

          Cheers,

          ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

          Professional Genealogist
          http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

          PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA
        • gordon crooks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
            Jeannie: I my own personal case I have found searching Irish and/or Ulster
            records on the web as not too good, the reason being that not everything is
            on the web. A local researcher is the best bet. If you give me a date for
            Grandpa going to canada i might beable to come up with some info for you, do
            you have it??

            Gordon
            > l am wondering if someone could help me out again with
            > a question, l am sorry to keep picking everyones
            > brains but this genealogy is all new to me and l get
            > to a new point and sit there and know what l have to
            > go look for but havent a clue where to look for it !!!
            > Ok..my problem is that l have researched a much as l
            > can in Scotland and am proud to say that l have in the
            > last few days found my great, great grandparent who
            > were actually born in Ireland,migrating to scotland
            > before they married, so first question is ,can i
            > search \Irish records the same way as l have been
            > searching them using an online system where you can
            > view the register over the net?
            > Second question is l have been told that my great
            > grandfather went to Canada at some stage where he died
            > ( but of course no one can tel me exactly where in
            > Canada), how do l go about finding that out, would
            > some goverment department in scotland hold lists for
            > outward passengers, or do l look at Canadian
            > goverments for inward passenger lists?
            > any help would be of great appriciation.
            > Jeannie...
            > P.s Jeannie who just got comfortable searching
            > scottish files and now gets thrown into a tetther half
            > way around the world !!!!..they had to keep on the
            > move didnt they !!!
            >>

            > __________________________________
            > Discover Yahoo!
            > Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend. Check it
            > out!

          • Jennifer Agar
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
              British Columbia Vital Stats are on-line and have deaths up to 1984 if you
              want to start looking there for your great-grandfather. The Canadian
              Archives also have some on-line indexed ships passenger lists for a few
              selected years. Ontario Vital Stats are indexed as well but I don't know if
              they are on-line; Manitoba is either on-line or going on-line like BC.
              Either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick is indexed too.

              Jenn in BC

              > l am wondering if someone could help me out again with
              > a question, l am sorry to keep picking everyones
              > brains but this genealogy is all new to me and l get
              > to a new point and sit there and know what l have to
              > go look for but havent a clue where to look for it !!!
              > Ok..my problem is that l have researched a much as l
              > can in Scotland and am proud to say that l have in the
              > last few days found my great, great grandparent who
              > were actually born in Ireland,migrating to scotland
              > before they married, so first question is ,can i
              > search \Irish records the same way as l have been
              > searching them using an online system where you can
              > view the register over the net?
              > Second question is l have been told that my great
              > grandfather went to Canada at some stage where he died
              > ( but of course no one can tel me exactly where in
              > Canada), how do l go about finding that out, would
              > some goverment department in scotland hold lists for
              > outward passengers, or do l look at Canadian
              > goverments for inward passenger lists?
              > any help would be of great appriciation.
              > Jeannie...
              > P.s Jeannie who just got comfortable searching
              > scottish files and now gets thrown into a tetther half
              > way around the world !!!!..they had to keep on the
              > move didnt they !!!
              >>

              > __________________________________
              > Discover Yahoo!
              > Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend. Check it
              > out!

              > --

            • jeannie vadars
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
                Hello Gordan and thank you for your reply,
                Unfortunatly l done have a date that my great
                grandfather may have gone to Canada and l am still
                trying to narrow it down to when he may have left
                Scotland, jsut when l think there is no more trace of
                him then he pops up still in Scotland.
                l dont even know for sure if he did go, it is jsut one
                of those strories the family left me with and an
                avenue to try.
                His name was William MCwilliam from Ayrshire born in
                1860 in Wigtownshire Scotland, he was the father of my
                illigitmate grandfather who he left with his parents
                to raise and as the story goes he nicked of to Canada
                and died there .
                my latest finding was that he was still in scotland in
                late 1889 ( he was a witness at one of his siblings
                weddings).
                So thats all l have on him at the moment,
                Thanks for your reply, it was most appriciated,
                JEannie Mcwilliam

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Jeannie wrote here:

                  > Ok..my problem is that l have researched a much as l
                  > can in Scotland and am proud to say that l have in the
                  > last few days found my great, great grandparent who
                  > were actually born in Ireland,migrating to scotland
                  > before they married, so first question is ,can i
                  > search \Irish records the same way as l have been
                  > searching them using an online system where you can
                  > view the register over the net?

                  My wife's grandparents did that too, bn IRE, lived SCT,
                  emigrated to NZ thence to Melbourne. You have I hope proved
                  the names of the parents of that g g grandparent!

                  Irish research is tough no matter what resources you try.
                  You would probably have more fun and more success if you
                  instead go look for <living> kin in Scotland.

                  ............................................. would
                  > some goverment department in scotland hold lists for
                  > outward passengers, or do l look at Canadian
                  > goverments for inward passenger lists?

                  Those who dumped their homeland and defected to the colonies
                  were of no further interest to the abandoned Government.
                  Records of exit, are very rare. Usually there are two
                  chances to locate an arriving passenger. The Shipping
                  Agent's list and the Immigration Dept list. These are
                  usually archived under the PORT where disembarked. Be
                  warned, even when found the Lists may provide little useful
                  data, but it is nice to fit that piece into the jigsaw.

                  > any help would be of great appriciation.

                  You may get LOTSA help if you place the
                  names/dates/relationships on this LIST!! Grab every
                  opportunity.

                  Cheers,

                  ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

                  Professional Genealogist
                  http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

                  PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA
                • June McGuire
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
                    Hi Jeannie
                    Try the following site - you might strike lucky as I did - it's intended for people who don't really know for sure where their folks came from in Ireland. It'll let you know where your next port of call is but unfortunately you need to be aware that getting copies of records from the various Irish geneology societies is more expensive than Scotland GRO - copies (and not scanned originals either) can cost 25 euros. For me this a small cost to open up new avenues!
                    https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/csi/csi_main.cfm
                    Hope you find something.
                    Krgds
                    June

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                      Jeannie wrote mainly for Gordon:

                      > His name was William MCwilliam from Ayrshire born in
                      > 1860 in Wigtownshire Scotland, he was the father of my
                      > illigitmate grandfather who he left with his parents
                      > to raise and as the story goes he nicked of to Canada
                      > and died there .
                      > my latest finding was that he was still in scotland in
                      > late 1889 ( he was a witness at one of his siblings
                      > weddings).
                      > So thats all l have on him at the moment,

                      It could help to know his occupation and the names of his
                      partner and their child. You may have mentioned these in
                      another message.

                      If as you say, the above is all that you have on him, then
                      this <chopped> 1881 Census record may interest:

                      Dwelling: Shanter
                      1881 Census Place: Kirkoswald, Ayr, Scotland
                      Source: FHL Film 0203604 GRO Ref Volume 601
                      EnumDist 3 Page 4
                      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                      Jessie GRAY W 55 F Ayr, Ayr, Scotland
                      Rel: Head
                      Occ: Farmers Widow
                      Eliza GRAY U 27 F Kirkoswald, Ayr, Scotland
                      Rel: Daur
                      Occ: Farmers Daur
                      Maggie GRAY U 20 F Kirkoswald, Ayr, Scotland
                      Rel: Daur
                      Occ: Farmers Daur
                      Hughina GRAY 14 F Kirkoswald, Ayr, Scotland
                      Rel: Daur
                      Occ: Scholar
                      Mary BLANE U 25 F Ochiltree, Ayr, Scotland
                      Rel: Serv
                      Occ: General Serv (Domestic)
                      William MC WILLIAM U 18 M Portpatrick, Wigtown, Scotland
                      Rel: Serv
                      Occ: Farm Servant

                      With four unmarried girls in the same dwellling, poor
                      William McWilliam may have had some distractions!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 9, 2005
                        Yea l know l confuse myself sometimes , and yes my
                        poor great grandfather did have some distractions !!!
                        not sure if this census was the ones, but defintly
                        the right area.

                        l have found my William mcwilliams family in Brae Head
                        Ayrshire on the 1881 census but he wasnt on it with
                        them, his parents were and some of his sibling, he
                        would have been 21 at the time and their occupations
                        were all farm servents and ag labourers so l ma
                        presuming that my william was working on a near by
                        property.

                        In 1881 my great grandfather William Mcwilliam would
                        ahve been 21 ( born in 1860.)
                        He and a lady named MArgaret Campbell had my
                        grandfather WILLIAM MCWILLIAM ( another one)an
                        illigitmate son ( although william mcwilliam was named
                        as father), so they had my grandfather in 1884 and
                        another child in 1886, so l am thinking that he met
                        this MArgaret Campbell on a property working or around
                        ayrshire and teamed up to no good, thus my grandfather
                        and his sister, but they never married.
                        They left my grandfather with williams parents and
                        MArgaret campbell took the daughter.

                        l am hoping that if l can place William MCwilliam on a
                        census in 1881 that l might be able to place this
                        MArgaret Campbell as well or in a nearby place, but my
                        grandfather was born in 1884 so that was three years
                        after, l wish they had of taken census records every
                        couple of years, it would make my job much easier !!!.
                        l have found MArgaret Campbells birth certificate and
                        she was born in KIRKMICHAEL, AYRSHIRE ( she was also
                        illigimate, her mother was SARAH LOGAN and father was
                        not named,( there is an RCE on the register also but
                        dont know what that is about), in later documentation
                        her fathers name is down as JAmes Campbell.
                        on the 1891 census l found margaret campbell and her
                        new husband and also her mother SARAH LOGAN was living
                        with htem, she was 81 and had down single, so that
                        leaves me thinking that she never married.

                        You know what...trust my luck to get all these
                        illigamate births !!!! It makes my head spin!!!

                        JEannie..