Re: [scots-origins] 3 names

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 25 , May 31, 2005
      Hello Jeannie. As to the Campbells, as you say, there are a lot of them. I found my Campbell Gt. Grandmother in Mull, which is Argyllshire.

      Janet
      Searching: Dun, Gordon, Rowat, Chester, Campbell, Sherret, Kirkpatrick, Simpson, Shand.

      Message 2 of 25 , May 31, 2005
        Hi Jeanie,

        A possible way forward is to search your grandfather's mother's
        marriage certificate(s). If her marriage(s) was/ were in Scotland, you
        would find out her parents' names and a clue to where he might have
        come from Then you would know a mother's name when searching through
        the many Campbells.

        __

        Sandra
      • Rena McCarthy
        Message 3 of 25 , May 31, 2005
          hello Jeannie,
          Here's what scotlandspeople has to say about the varied ways to find a
          ceremony and having a different surname doesn't necessarily indicate
          illegitimacy:

          Searching is possible by surname, qualified by the following factors:
          Forename
          Sex
          Date/Year range
          Age/Age range (deaths and censuses only)
          Parish/District
          County and other names depending on the entry (including spouse, father,
          mother and mother's maiden name)
          Event
          If you know the maiden and married surnames, do a search on both then
          cross-check by printing out both sets of index results and look for any
          entries with matching details and GROS Reference.

          Regards,
          Rena in England
          =

          > My name is JEannie and l have started out looking at
          > genealogy for my father family in Scotland.
          > l have found a marriage certificate for my grandfather
          > in Dunfermline Fife, l have been using the GRO
          > scotlands people site and in the process l have found
          > his marriage registered under 3 different surnames,
          > all of which lead me to the same certificate,and same
          > woman, my grandmother.
          > l know he used the name McWilliam ( listed as his own
          > father on the wedding certificate ) and this was one
          > of the names, the other was Campbell ( which says on
          > the marriage certificate as mothers maiden name) and
          > the third was Kirker ( which was his stepfathers
          > name,).
          > My question is if someone could be so kind as to help
          > me out here, why would it have been put under all
          > three, does this indercate that he may have been
          > illigitmate?, and also in 1923 what would have they
          > had to produce in the way of identification when
          > marring?, would have he had to use a birth certificate
          > as we do in todays time?.
          > l have not been able to find a birth certificate under
          > either mcwilliam or kirker, and still searching
          > through the Campbells..( boy there a few of them!!),
          > its harder to as l dont know what area he original
          > came from.
          > Any input into why my grandfather would have been in
          > the register under 3 different surnames would be of
          > much appriciation,
          > Thanks
          > Jeannie
        • jeannie vadars
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2005
            Thanks for your reply Rena,
            l have done that and then also found the birth
            certificate...In both names, its really intersting
            isnt it how they are registered, but not to my
            surprise he was in fact illigemate. Both names
            registered and leading me to the same certificate.
            Thanks for your rely though it is much appriciated.
            l am so excited that l now have it and it lead me to
            Ayrshire that he was born in, so now that gives me a
            base, another exciting twist also that l have found he
            had a sister 2 years younger and it was the same deal
            for her, l thought she was a half sister as she was
            married under the step fathers name but she was
            defintly his full sister and must have chosen to take
            the step fathers name when marring.
            l have now at least got an area to work within, but
            its a challenge as he never had a middle name, just
            William Mcwilliam. Can you tell me how l would be able
            to track down schooling records?, relitives have told
            me that they remember someone saying that he went to
            an Ayreshire Grammer school untill the age 16 which ws
            a rare thing back in those days, l was wondering if
            someone could help in the right direction, the time
            frame would have been 1894 - 1900 l have done a bit of
            surfing around but cant seem to find any links,
            Thanks for your help,
            JEannie

            __________________________________
            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/
          • jeannie vadars
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hi There Sandra,
              Yes l have found my great grandmothers marriage
              certificate to the second husband and since finding my
              grandfathers birth certificate and marked illigimate (
              under his fathers name, her first relationship) it is
              starting to create a picture for me. l have a few
              avenues to travel now but the name Campbell did over
              whelm me..cant believe how many there are !!!..l am
              more intrested at the moment to track along the male
              line but my grandfather had no middle name so l think
              that wont make it any easier !!!
              Thanks for your reply and look forward to talking
              more, and may well be the same Campbells somewhere
              along the line. Where did you say your campbells are
              from?
              JEannie

              --- Sandra Millan <sandra.millan@...> wrote:

              > Hi Jeanie,
              >
              > A possible way forward is to search your
              > grandfather's mother's
              > marriage certificate(s). If her marriage(s) was/
              > were in Scotland, you
              > would find out her parents' names and a clue to
              > where he might have
              > come from Then you would know a mother's name when
              > searching through
              > the many Campbells.
              >
              > __
              >
              > Sandra

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
            • Rena McCarthy
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 1, 2005
                Hi Jeannie,
                Quite often if there was a middle name it led to a relative of the mother or
                a family friend, doctor, vicar, etc.
                As regards the school reports - I've been told to approach the school
                directly - if only I knew the name I would have jumped over the moon :-)
                Best of Luck,
                Rena

                > l have done that and then also found the birth
                > certificate...In both names, its really intersting
                > isnt it how they are registered, but not to my
                > surprise he was in fact illigemate. Both names
                > registered and leading me to the same certificate.
                > Thanks for your rely though it is much appriciated.
                > l am so excited that l now have it and it lead me to
                > Ayrshire that he was born in, so now that gives me a
                > base, another exciting twist also that l have found he
                > had a sister 2 years younger and it was the same deal
                > for her, l thought she was a half sister as she was
                > married under the step fathers name but she was
                > defintly his full sister and must have chosen to take
                > the step fathers name when marring.
                > l have now at least got an area to work within, but
                > its a challenge as he never had a middle name, just
                > William Mcwilliam. Can you tell me how l would be able
                > to track down schooling records?, relitives have told
                > me that they remember someone saying that he went to
                > an Ayreshire Grammer school untill the age 16 which ws
                > a rare thing back in those days, l was wondering if
                > someone could help in the right direction, the time
                > frame would have been 1894 - 1900 l have done a bit of
                > surfing around but cant seem to find any links,
                > Thanks for your help,
                > JEannie
              • Trena
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Toni,
                    What years are your Bains in Glasgow?
                    Jennifer
                    BC, Canada

                    > By chance are you also researching the (David & William) BAIN / (Janet)
                    > BROWN surnames, from around Glasgow?
                    >
                    > Toni,
                    > Ontario Canada.

                    > --

                  • jeannie vadars
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Hi Toni,
                      no those names dont ring a bell.. l am researching
                      Mcwilliam in ayrshire,
                      Logan in aryshire
                      Campbell in aryshire ( all 50 million of them !!!!)
                      McKenzie in ayrshire
                      Mcwilliam in Fife
                      Kirker in Fife
                      and l havent started on the maternal side but there is
                      a McKay in Fife, and a McLellan..
                      Are you researching mcwilliam also?
                      Jeannie.

                      > By chance are you also researching the (David &
                      > William) BAIN / (Janet)
                      > BROWN surnames, from around Glasgow?
                      >
                      > Toni,
                      > Ontario Canada.

                      __________________________________
                      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                    • Catherine King
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
                        Jeannie

                        I have a second cousin whose maternal side of his family were
                        McClelland/McLelland/McLellan, etc. Unfortunately, he is not on the Net,
                        but I can telephone or write to him if I want to know any or give
                        information. One of my ancestral cousins married a Kirk in Fife, but I
                        haven't come across Kirker.

                        Catherine

                        ..................Kirker in Fife
                        > and l havent started on the maternal side but there is
                        > a McKay in Fife, and a McLellan..
                        > Are you researching mcwilliam also?
                        > Jeannie.
                      • COLIN FROUD
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
                          Hi, researching McWilliam in Wigtownshire, your welcome to anything I have.

                          Colin
                          > no those names dont ring a bell.. l am researching
                          > Mcwilliam in ayrshire,
                          > Logan in aryshire
                          > Campbell in aryshire ( all 50 million of them !!!!)
                          > McKenzie in ayrshire
                          > Mcwilliam in Fife
                          > Kirker in Fife
                          > and l havent started on the maternal side but there is
                          > a McKay in Fife, and a McLellan..
                          > Are you researching mcwilliam also?
                          > Jeannie.

                        • Sandra Millan
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
                            Hi, again, Jeanie

                            Sorry, I've no Campbells that I've yet discovered.(I did have a school
                            friend called Campbell.) My "Macs" are McCallum, with lots of
                            Cuthbertsons and Walker, pretty common too!
                            __

                            Sandra
                          • jeannie vadars
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 6, 2005
                              Hi Colin,
                              l have some connections to Wigtownshire also, l will
                              drag out what l have...oh sorry l cant contain
                              myself..l am excited !!!, this geneaoly is all new to
                              me but l have come along in leaps and bounds.
                              l will email you tomorrow Colin with evreything l
                              have,
                              EXCITED JEANNIE

                              __________________________________
                              Discover Yahoo!
                            • jeannie vadars
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 6, 2005
                                hey Colin, l knew l wouldnt be able to sleep, and l
                                have found that the mesages on this group take a few
                                days to get through.
                                My Family of McWilliams were from Ayrshire but have
                                found that my great great grandmother had a few of her
                                babies in Wigtownshire, one of which was my great
                                grandfather WILLIAM MCWILLIAM born in Portpatrick
                                county Wigtownshire 1860, He was born to the parents
                                ELIZABETH MCWILLIAM maiden name MCKENZIE and father
                                HUGH MCWILLIAM, and there was also his sister MARY
                                MCWILLIAM born there in about 1862 ( have a bit of
                                information on her also).
                                there were other siblings born in Ayrshire named
                                James, Hugh, William, Mary, John, Richard and susan.
                                l have a feeling that my great great grandmother
                                ELIZABETH MCWILLIAM may have had family in Wigtown
                                although she ws originaly from Ireland.
                                l will dig up anything else l have on Wigtown tomorrow
                                as l did gain a bit of information in that area that l
                                couldnt place on the tree.
                                l would be so so intrested to know about your
                                MCwilliams and if that fit around that time era etc,
                                Thank you for turning my crappy day of searching dead
                                ends into something hopeful.
                                Jeannie McWilliam.
                                vadars2001@...

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • jeannie vadars
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 6, 2005
                                  Thank you Catherine for your reply it is much
                                  appriciated,At present l havent dabbled to much into
                                  my paternal grandmother and only have her birth
                                  certificate and havent gone any further with it.
                                  Her name was ( ready for this mouthful) Isabella
                                  Gilmour Naismith Mclelland, and then she was raised by
                                  a realitive whos names were MCKAY
                                  She was born Illigmate in the county of Lanark, Old
                                  Monkland in 1890,her father is named William McLelland
                                  and mother was Elizabeth Fergurson, both down as Farm
                                  Servents, She then went on to marry my grandfather in
                                  1922 named WILLIAM MCWILLIAM, but l have nothing else
                                  on the name, so maybe once l dig up some more then l
                                  would love some help,
                                  Thanks for your reply, and look forward to chatting
                                  more,
                                  Out of intrest what names are you researching?
                                  Regards
                                  Jeannie McWilliam

                                  --- Catherine King <kingc412@...> wrote:

                                  > Jeannie
                                  >
                                  > I have a second cousin whose maternal side of his
                                  > family were
                                  > McClelland/McLelland/McLellan, etc. Unfortunately,
                                  > he is not on the Net,
                                  > but I can telephone or write to him if I want to
                                  > know any or give
                                  > information. One of my ancestral cousins married a
                                  > Kirk in Fife, but I
                                  > haven't come across Kirker.
                                  >
                                  > Catherine
                                  >
                                  > ..................Kirker in Fife
                                  > > and l havent started on the maternal side but
                                  > there is
                                  > > a McKay in Fife, and a McLellan..
                                  > > Are you researching mcwilliam also?
                                  > > Jeannie.

                                  __________________________________
                                  Discover Yahoo!
                                  http://discover.yahoo.com/
                                • David McCormick
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 6, 2005
                                    Hello Sandra,
                                    I note on scotsorigins you have a lot of Cuthbertson's and Walker's, were do
                                    thay originate from as I have numerous of them on my tree.
                                    David at dm011a4912@...
                                  • Eddie McInairnie
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 6, 2005
                                      Hi, Jeannie
                                      Hope this doesn't overload your excitement, but the name McWILLIAM
                                      frequently crops up in my wife's family as a middle name, and they are all
                                      from Wigtownshire!
                                      The earliest occurrence I can find is my wife's great-grandmother Grace
                                      McWilliam BURNETT, born 06 Jan 1876 in Drumore, Parish of Kirkmaiden (only a
                                      few miles from Port William). Her father is not recorded on her birth
                                      record, but to have a middle name of McWilliam it is possible (even likely)
                                      that her father was a McWILLIAM.
                                      She married David McKEAND on 13 Jan 1905 in Sorbie Parish (about 15 - 20
                                      miles from Port William, on the eastern side of Wigtownshire).
                                      The McWilliam middle name has been carried through the McKEAND family for at
                                      least 2 more generations, but as far as we know has not survived into our
                                      generation or beyond.
                                      So, what I am guessing is that the McWILLIAM genes have come into the
                                      McKEAND family "on the wrong side of the bedclothes" as they would say in
                                      Wigtownshire!
                                      Perhaps there's a link to your relations further back?
                                      All the best,

                                      Eddie McINAIRNIE

                                      Researching McINAIRNIE / McANARNEY (and variants), MONAGHAN, CAMPBELL,
                                      MILLAN / MELLON and MATTHIAS in Ayrshire
                                      LENNAN in Renfrewshire and Ayrshire
                                      DENNY, BRADLEY and BELL in Renfrewshire
                                      McKEAND, STEWART, IRVINE, WHAN, CARTER, TURNER, MUNDELL, MOFFAT, HARDIE,
                                      FERGUS(S)ON, BROADFOOT, COWPER, COXHEAD, SMITH and BURNETT in Wigtownshire /
                                      Kirkcudbrightshire / Dumfries-shire
                                      WALBOURNE, WALLBURN, WALBRAN (and variants) in Lanarkshire / Wigtownshire /
                                      Kirkcudbrightshire / Dumfries-shire.
                                      McGEORGE in Kirkcudbrightshire
                                      GOLDIE in Kirkcudbrightshire and Glasgow
                                      (amongst others)

                                      > hey Colin, l knew l wouldnt be able to sleep, and l
                                      > have found that the mesages on this group take a few
                                      > days to get through.
                                      > My Family of McWilliams were from Ayrshire but have
                                      > found that my great great grandmother had a few of her
                                      > babies in Wigtownshire, one of which was my great
                                      > grandfather WILLIAM MCWILLIAM born in Portpatrick
                                      > county Wigtownshire 1860, He was born to the parents
                                      > ELIZABETH MCWILLIAM maiden name MCKENZIE and father
                                      > HUGH MCWILLIAM, and there was also his sister MARY
                                      > MCWILLIAM born there in about 1862 ( have a bit of
                                      > information on her also).
                                      > there were other siblings born in Ayrshire named
                                      > James, Hugh, William, Mary, John, Richard and susan.
                                      > l have a feeling that my great great grandmother
                                      > ELIZABETH MCWILLIAM may have had family in Wigtown
                                      > although she ws originaly from Ireland.
                                      > l will dig up anything else l have on Wigtown tomorrow
                                      > as l did gain a bit of information in that area that l
                                      > couldnt place on the tree.
                                      > l would be so so intrested to know about your
                                      > MCwilliams and if that fit around that time era etc,
                                      > Thank you for turning my crappy day of searching dead
                                      > ends into something hopeful.
                                      > Jeannie McWilliam.
                                      > vadars2001@...
                                      >
                                      > --- COLIN FROUD <collin.froud@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Hi, researching McWilliam in Wigtownshire, your
                                      >> welcome to anything I have.
                                      >>
                                      >> Colin

                                    • COLIN FROUD
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 10, 2005
                                        Hi Eddie, where abouts are your McWilliams in Wigtownshire, my wifes "lot"
                                        hover around Stranraer and New Luce.

                                        Colin Froud

                                        collin.froud@...