Re: [scots-origins] willingmyre

  • Rena MCCARTHY
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 7:26 AM
      I also had a look - I noticed you quoted englishorigins and had a peek at
      what you had seen. Personally, I would discount the reference to Scotland.
      These would be London registered apprenticeships. As occupations quite
      often ran through families, possibly the occupation of your earliest John
      Weilenmeir in Philidelphia in 1763 would give a clue to his apprenticeship
      or father's occupation.
      You will find the surname "Willing" and "Meyer/Myer" in English archives
      http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp

      What interests me is that familysearch and Google brings up Weilenmeir and
      its variations on the America continent only. In the main, the safer
      British ships took migrants to the new continent - why would a British
      captain use a European mainland spelling? I think you need to widen your
      search and look at Dutch, German, Scandinavian countries (I'm thinking of
      the spelling 'Schmeichel' of Denmark). Your ancestor may have been a
      soldier. The Dutch and British army liked to face each other (New York used
      to be New Amsterdam) The British army also consisted of the Hannover army
      from modern day Germany. I can explain the Scandinavian reference - there
      was movement on mainland Europe through migration, not to mention wars with
      Denmark, etc.
      We're lucky with the British census, we find German origins are quoted as
      the country of "Mecklenberg", Hanover, etc. The USA just quotes "Prussia".
      If you haven't already done so, I would advise you also join a few European
      genealogy groups. There is always the possibility that you have 2 surnames
      joined into one, or a surname and the village of origin: - a new life, a new
      name, but in Britain I should think it would be a hyphenated name;
      "Willing-Myre".

      Good luck,
      Rena