Re: [scots-origins] Sharing Observations.

  • John D. Stevenson
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 28, 2005
      Alison Robey wrote:
      > You mean there are no laws governing what the name has to be?
      > Alison

      Good morning Alison

      Scot's Law has always been that one can choose one's own surname if one's
      neighbours will "COMMONLY CALL" one by it.
      This has been confirmed by decisions of the courts.
      In 1835 Lord President Hope ruled :
      "There is no need of the authority of this court to enable a man in Scotland
      to change his name"
      and in 1899 Lord Adam stated :
      "Any person may, without the authority of this court call himself what he
      pleases"
      and
      "The petitioner has a perfect right to change his name and no one can
      prevent him from adding to it or altering it"
      Thus parents need not give their children their own surname !!

      Something that should be remembered when hitting "brick walls" !!

      Regards.
      John.

      John D. Stevenson
      Sunny spells and showers, calm, 10C
      Edinburgh.
      johndee.ships@...
    • John D. Stevenson
      Message 61 of 61 , May 10, 2005
        :
        Good morning Rena,
        > Researching naming patterns may sound fascinating John, but only if
        > you're
        > good at puzzles :-)
        But, that is the fascinating part about it !
        Obtaining information/local knowledge from the area you are researching pays massive dividends.
        A phone call to the village PO /shop often leads to being given a local worthies name who can supply info re the village names
        I find this especially helpful in the fishing communities
        > I too have seafaring family in Leith, Newhaven, etc.- goodness knows
        > which
        > eastern seaboard fishing village some of the earlier generations were
        > born.
        > But my biggest nightmare is finding the youngest son has filled in
        > two death
        > certificates with unexpected names! I'm waiting for Cloud 9 to float
        > up and
        > tell me where Thos. Darling fitted into the life of Mrs Agnes Mason
        > (nee
        > Sim/Syme).
        >
        > Rena in England
        Come back to Off List on this and will see what I have in my notes

        Regards.
        John.

        John D. Stevenson
        Clear blue skies , calm, 15C