Re: [scots-origins] [SCOTT] Gunn, Wick

  • jeanphilippe.dernoncourt
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2005
      Hello Rena

      Many thanks for your assistance and for the time you have spent to do these
      researches.
      Unfornunately the first name and the name are the only informations I got by
      reading the birth certificate of Marie Jeanne Claire GUNN (William GUNN,
      aged 29 years, sailor).
      But in her certificate of death, we can read that she was the daughter of
      "James GUNN".
      Is James a surname for Willam (as Bob for Robert ?) or is it possible that
      the first name of my ancestor was James William or William James ?

      Best regards

      jean philippe

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hello Jean,
        The birth record was probably correct. James is not another name for
        William. Jim is another name for James and Will, Willy, Bill, Billy are
        other names for William.
        (The family must have been patriotic - James was the name of Scottish kings
        and William was the name of a man who fought the English).

        The death certificate gives the names of parents who probably died a long
        time ago and the witness of the death may have got the facts wrong. Or
        possibly, the witness on the death certificate knew that Claire lived with
        the family of William Gunn. It was common for children to live with members
        of the family who were not the parents - either because of a shortage of
        space/room in the parents home, or because a parent died.

        Best Wishes,
        Rena in England
        still looking for Crum documentation prior to 1816;
        also Brown and Ferguson- Perthshire records 1790's
        From: "jeanphilippe.dernoncourt" <jeanphilippe.dernoncourt@...>

        > Hello Rena>
        > Many thanks for your assistance and for the time you have spent to do
        > these
        > researches.
        > Unfornunately the first name and the name are the only informations I got
        > by
        > reading the birth certificate of Marie Jeanne Claire GUNN (William GUNN,
        > aged 29 years, sailor).
        > But in her certificate of death, we can read that she was the daughter of
        > "James GUNN".
        > Is James a surname for Willam (as Bob for Robert ?) or is it possible that
        > the first name of my ancestor was James William or William James ?>
        > Best regards
        jean philippe