MacMillan/McMillan in Kilmarnock, Ayshire, Scotland

  • Linda Hansen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
      Hi,
      I am just starting to research my Scotch roots, I have a diary in which my great grandfather wrote that he was baptised in Kilmarnock, Ayshire, Scotland. I contacted 2 differant professional researchers in the area that could find no record of the family, does anyone have any suggestions as to my next step in locating the family.

      Perhaps someone knows of this family.

      1. CAPT ALEXANDER1 MACMILLAN was born Abt. 1826 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland. He married (1) MARGARET BARKER. She was born in Scotland. He married (2) CATHERINE BARCLAY. She was born 1831. He married (3) BEAL.

      More About CAPT ALEXANDER MACMILLAN:
      Fact 1: or James or Alexander
      Fact 2: Probably married 3 times
      Fact 3: Was a salesman for Singer Sewing Machine Co., in Guelph, Canada
      Family tradition has it that Capt. MacMillan left his wife & daughters in Scotland and took the sons to Ireland for a short while before emigrating to Canaday.
      Notes for CATHERINE BARCLAY:
      It is believed that Alex, Alfred, Walter, Emma may have been Catherine's children.
      Her name may have been Margaret Barkley

      Children of ALEXANDER MACMILLAN and MARGARET BARKER are:
      i. ALICE2 MACMILLAN, m. STOREY.
      2. ii. REV. JAMES MACMILLAN, b. 1848, Kilmarnock, Ayshire, Scotland; d. 1918, Canada.
      3. iii. REV. JOHN ALEXANDER MCMILLAN, b. February 09, 1850, Kilmarnock, Ayshire, Scotland; d. October 11, 1924, Los Angeles, Ca.
      iv. ALEXANDER MACMILLAN, b. 1863; d. 1901.
      v. ALFRED MACMILLAN, b. 1864; d. Abt. 1891.
      vi. WALTER MACMILLAN, b. 1865; d. California.

      Children of ALEXANDER MACMILLAN and CATHERINE BARCLAY are:
      vii. WALTER2 MACMILLAN.
      viii. ALEXANDER MACMILLAN.
      ix. EMMA MACMILLAN, b. 1859; d. 1884; m. EDWARD TROTT.
      x. ALFRED MACMILLAN, m. MAY.

      Linda Hansen

      peacheandpeas@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2005
        Linda Hansen wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I am just starting to research my Scotch roots, I have a diary in which my great grandfather wrote that he was baptised in Kilmarnock, Ayshire, Scotland. I contacted 2 differant professional researchers in the area that could find no record of the family, does anyone have any suggestions as to my next step in locating the family.

        When two professionals fail, it is time to doubt you've got a correct identification in your targets' details. Like, you seem to have only one primary source event logged in Kilmarnock. Is it possible this event was not there but in Kilmaranock, further north?

        Did your two professionals report on the Kilmarnock registers of the Catholic and Episcopal churches? These were only available from the ch Ministers in 1971 but I am not aware of today's accessibility.

        > Perhaps someone knows of this family.

        I am not related. There is a Clan McMillan research centre in Finlaystone SCT, probably still being managed by Graeme MacKenzie. there.

        Cheers,

        ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.

        Professional Genealogist http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

        PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2005
          Hi Linda

          If your grandfather correctly wrote that he was baptised at Kilmarnock,
          Ayrshire that rules out the suggestion by Alistair Cameron as Kilmaranock (the
          church is Kilmaronock) is near Buchanan Castle in Stirlingshire and the River
          Clyde comes between the two counties as well as Renfrewshire and
          Dumbartonshire.

          Why don't you post the names and details you have (perhaps you already did
          and I missed it) and maybe someone will be able to help?

        • Linda Hansen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2005
            Hello Alistair,
            The thought that there could be a town or village of the same or similar name had crossed my mind but not being familiar with Scotland at all I did not know.
            Thank you for your response and the information on the Clan McMillan research, I will try to get in touch with them.
            Linda Hansen

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2005
              Does anyone know this family?
              My information on this family may be inaccurate as I put it together from postcards and memory.

              1. CAPT ALEXANDER1 MACMILLAN was born Abt. 1826 in ?, Ayrshire, Scotland. He married (1) MARGARET BARKER. She was born in Scotland. He married (2) CATHERINE BARCLAY. She was born 1831. He married (3) BEAL.

              More About CAPT ALEXANDER MACMILLAN:
              Fact 1: His name James or Alexander
              Fact 2: Probably married 3 times
              Fact 3: He or sons were salesmen for Singer Sewing Machine Co., in Guelph, Canada

              Notes for CATHERINE BARCLAY:
              It is believed that Alex., Alfred, Walter, Emma may have been Catherine's children.
              Her name may have been Margaret Barkley

              Children of ALEXANDER MACMILLAN and MARGARET BARKER are:
              i. ALICE2 MACMILLAN, m. STOREY.
              ii. REV. JAMES MACMILLAN1, b. 1848, Kilmarnock/Kilmaranock, Ayshire, Scotland; d. 1918, Canada; m. JANE THOMPSON1; b. Abt. 1848; d. 1918, Canada.

              More About REV. JAMES MACMILLAN:
              Fact 1: Left Toronto, Canada in 1905
              Fact 2: Presbyterian minister

              iii. REV. JOHN ALEXANDER MCMILLAN, b. February 09, 1850, Kilmarnock or Kilmaranock, Ayshire, Scotland; d. October 11, 1924, Los Angeles, Ca; m. (1) ABIGAIL JOSEPHINE WOODS2, December 10, 1879, Cambria, San Luis Obispo Co., Ca; m. (2) OLIVE SMITH EATON, May 06, 1889, South Pasadena, Ca.

              iv. ALEXANDER MACMILLAN, b. 1863; d. 1901.

              More About ALEXANDER MACMILLAN:
              Fact 1: Lived for a time in Sacramento, Ca.

              v. ALFRED MACMILLAN, b. 1864; d. Abt. 1891.

              Notes for ALFRED MACMILLAN:
              of Toronto, Canada

              More About ALFRED MACMILLAN:
              Fact 1: Had no issue
              Fact 2: Lived in Chicago and worked for Illinois Central Railroad
              Fact 3: d. in an accident on the railroad

              vi. WALTER MACMILLAN, b. 1865; d. California.

              Notes for WALTER MACMILLAN:
              Have picture of Walter in PWOR uniform

              Children of ALEXANDER MACMILLAN and CATHERINE BARCLAY are:
              vii. WALTER MACMILLAN.
              viii. ALEXANDER MACMILLAN.
              ix. EMMA MACMILLAN, b. 1859; d. 1884; m. EDWARD TROTT.
              x. ALFRED MACMILLAN, m. MAY.

              Notes for ALFRED MACMILLAN:
              Post card dated July 7, 1908
              3895 Ellis Ave. Chicago, Ill.
              picture of Alfred & signed by May McMillan

              Thank you,
              Linda Hansen

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2005
                peachesandpeas@... writes:

                my great grandfather wrote that he was baptised in Kilmarnock, Ayshire,
                Scotland. I contacted 2 differant professional researchers in the area that could
                find no record of the family, does anyone have any suggestions as to my next
                step in locating the family.<<<<<<<

                Linda...Re: Vital Redords Index ( Brit.Isles )

                James McMillan b. 3rd June 1826 in Kilmarnock Ayrs, Scotland..
                Father .James McMillan..
                Mother Elizabeth Heron
                FHL film 1041388

                ...but also...

                James McMillan b 5th January 1828 in Kilmarnock. Ayrs Scotland
                Father. James McMillan
                Mother Elizabeth Heron
                FHL film 1041388

                Sods Law, Linda...from none to two??? It could be a simple error...needing
                correction
                or...it could have been two boy babies given the same name ..as sometimes
                was the custom. . .....suggest you go onto _www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk_
                (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) to get true result.

                There were 19 Alexander McMillans born all over Scotland ...3 in Ayrshire
                1) Irvine ,Ayrs 15th April 1830 (f. Robert & m.Marion Munro ) ( FHLfilm
                1041384 )
                2) Oct 1827 in Dailly by Ayr Ayrshire (f. Thomas & m.Jane Weathers) ( FHL
                film1041337)
                3) 1st Feb 1831 in Balantrae Ayrs (f. Donald & m. Isabella Wright ) (FHL
                film 1041333)

                Checked .... No marriages with Alexander / s noted for
                1) a Catherine Barclay christened. 25th June 1826 TolboothChurch
                Edinburgh.(FHL 304665)
                2) a Catherine Walker Barclay b. 30th Dec 1826 & christened 7th Jan 1827
                in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire, Scotland (f.James & m. Margaret Walker)(FHL
                1041089)

                There again advise you use www. scotlandspeople

                And...3 James McMillans in Scotland married to 3 lassies...none being the
                above named....in1843 in St Quivox & Newton Ayrs ...1850 in Aberdeen &
                1853 in Rutherglen Lanarkshire.

                Couldn't find Emma, Albert or Walter born in Ayrshire 20 + years after 1826

                There again advise www. scotlandspeople for all of the above...Best I could
                come up with.
                Guess you'll need to jump into the government records...for sure-fire
                answers.

                Best of luck ...Moira Crawford.

              • Puhi-Carlotta
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Hello Linda,

                  I would kindly suggest first you make a correction on the 'Scotch' to Scots.
                  Since you know where your grandfather was baptised I suggest you apply to
                  Scotland's Birth, Death & Marriages for your grandfather's birth
                  certificate. It might cost you a bit of money but researching Family
                  geneology costs.

                  Puhi [ horouta ]

                  > > I am just starting to research my Scotch roots, I have a diary in which
                  my great grandfather wrote that he was baptised in Kilmarnock, Ayshire,
                  Scotland. I contacted 2 differant professional researchers in the area that
                  could find no record of the family, does anyone have any suggestions as to
                  my next step in locating the family.

                  > When two professionals fail, it is time to doubt you've got a correct
                  identification in your targets' details. Like, you seem to have only one
                  primary source event logged in Kilmarnock. Is it possible this event was not
                  there but in Kilmaranock, further north?

                  > Did your two professionals report on the Kilmarnock registers of the
                  Catholic and Episcopal churches? These were only available from the ch
                  Ministers in 1971 but I am not aware of today's accessibility.

                  > > Perhaps someone knows of this family.
                  > >

                  > I am not related. There is a Clan McMillan research centre in Finlaystone
                  SCT, probably still being managed by Graeme MacKenzie. there.

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > ALISTAIR M. CAMERON A.A.G.R.A.
                  >
                  > Professional Genealogist http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/
                  >
                  > PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA

                • Caroline Day
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                    Linda/Ian

                    I was born in 1963 and my birth certificate states place of birth as
                    Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, if you are querying whether there is such a place!

                    Kind regards.
                    Caroline

                    > If your grandfather correctly wrote that he was baptised at Kilmarnock,
                    > Ayrshire that rules out the suggestion by Alistair Cameron as Kilmaranock
                    (the
                    > church is Kilmaronock) is near Buchanan Castle in Stirlingshire and the
                    River
                    > Clyde comes between the two counties as well as Renfrewshire and
                    > Dumbartonshire.
                    >
                    > Why don't you post the names and details you have (perhaps you already did
                    > and I missed it) and maybe someone will be able to help?
                    >
                    > Ian A C Scott

                    > --

                  • Anne Pryce
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                      I have McMillans also but so far they`re in another place that start with
                      a `K` - Kilmalcolm in Renfrewshire

                      Anne
                      http://freespace.virgin.net/auto.webpage/

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                        Hi Caroline

                        I have a daughter-in-law born in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire and another ancestor
                        married in Kilmaronock Church, Stirlingshire and they are quite different
                        places. Kilmarnock is a good sized town whereas you could pass Kilmaronock by and
                        not see it.

                        Ian

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                          In a message dated 07/01/2005 11:45:15 GMT Standard Time, MoiraC40@...
                          writes:

                          James McMillan b. 3rd June 1826 in Kilmarnock Ayrs, Scotland..
                          Father .James McMillan..
                          Mother Elizabeth Heron
                          FHL film 1041388

                          ...but also...

                          James McMillan b 5th January 1828 in Kilmarnock. Ayrs Scotland
                          Father. James McMillan
                          Mother Elizabeth Heron
                          FHL film 1041388

                          Re the above. It was not unusual where a child died shortly after birth or
                          even some time later for another child born to the same parents to be given the
                          same name as the deceased child. I have found this particularly where the
                          given name is that of one of the child's grandparents and there was a desire to
                          hold to the 'naming pattern' used in the past.

                          That practice can be a help in tracing a family but it can also be a serious
                          hindrance where there are several brothers all seeking to name their
                          children after the grandparents and they all marry about the same time. I have a
                          problem at this point in time with two Helen Todds (one born in 1771 and the
                          other in 1777) whose fathers were two of four brothers whose parents were
                          Alexander Todd and Helen Leslie (or Lesly). The one born in 1777 I am certain about
                          but the 1771 birth could be to one of two (the third brother would have been
                          too young-maybe!).

                          I agree that you will probably need to make use of the scotlandspeople
                          facilities but you will not find deaths prior to 1855. Hugh Wallis on his website
                          lists the IGI batch numbers for Kilmarnock Parish but there are no deaths.
                          This does not mean there are none in the OPR but they have not been indexed
                          although I believe this work is being undertaken at present by GROS. If you
                          could find a death for the first James MacMillan it would firm up the dates/age
                          for the other when searching.

                        • Linda Hansen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                            Thanks

                            > If your grandfather correctly wrote that he was baptised at Kilmarnock,
                            > Ayrshire that rules out the suggestion by Alistair Cameron as Kilmaranock
                            (the
                            > church is Kilmaronock) is near Buchanan Castle in Stirlingshire and the
                            River
                            > Clyde comes between the two counties as well as Renfrewshire and
                            > Dumbartonshire.
                            >
                            > Why don't you post the names and details you have (perhaps you already did
                            > and I missed it) and maybe someone will be able to help?
                            >
                            > Ian A C Scott

                            > --

                            peacheandpeas@...
                          • Linda Hansen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                              I want to thank everyone who replied to my query on my g. grandfather John Alexander McMillan & his father Alexander/James McMillan. Your suggestions all seem to be valid & I will pursue each of them including correcting my reference to the "Scotch" to "Scots" :)
                              Linda Hansen

                              my great grandfather wrote that he was baptised in Kilmarnock, Ayshire,
                              Scotland. I contacted 2 differant professional researchers in the area that could
                              find no record of the family, does anyone have any suggestions as to my next
                              step in locating the family.<<<<<<<

                              Linda...Re: Vital Redords Index ( Brit.Isles )

                              James McMillan b. 3rd June 1826 in Kilmarnock Ayrs, Scotland..
                              Father .James McMillan..
                              Mother Elizabeth Heron
                              FHL film 1041388

                              ...but also...

                              James McMillan b 5th January 1828 in Kilmarnock. Ayrs Scotland
                              Father. James McMillan
                              Mother Elizabeth Heron
                              FHL film 1041388

                              Sods Law, Linda...from none to two??? It could be a simple error...needing
                              correction
                              or...it could have been two boy babies given the same name ..as sometimes
                              was the custom. . .....suggest you go onto _www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk_
                              (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) to get true result.

                              There were 19 Alexander McMillans born all over Scotland ...3 in Ayrshire
                              1) Irvine ,Ayrs 15th April 1830 (f. Robert & m.Marion Munro ) ( FHLfilm
                              1041384 )
                              2) Oct 1827 in Dailly by Ayr Ayrshire (f. Thomas & m.Jane Weathers) ( FHL
                              film1041337)
                              3) 1st Feb 1831 in Balantrae Ayrs (f. Donald & m. Isabella Wright ) (FHL
                              film 1041333)

                              Checked .... No marriages with Alexander / s noted for
                              1) a Catherine Barclay christened. 25th June 1826 TolboothChurch
                              Edinburgh.(FHL 304665)
                              2) a Catherine Walker Barclay b. 30th Dec 1826 & christened 7th Jan 1827
                              in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire, Scotland (f.James & m. Margaret Walker)(FHL
                              1041089)

                              There again advise you use www. scotlandspeople

                              And...3 James McMillans in Scotland married to 3 lassies...none being the
                              above named....in1843 in St Quivox & Newton Ayrs ...1850 in Aberdeen &
                              1853 in Rutherglen Lanarkshire.

                              Couldn't find Emma, Albert or Walter born in Ayrshire 20 + years after 1826

                              There again advise www. scotlandspeople for all of the above...Best I could
                              come up with.
                              Guess you'll need to jump into the government records...for sure-fire
                              answers.

                              Best of luck ...Moira Crawford.

                              peacheandpeas@...
                            • Iain Scott
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 7, 2005
                                Careful Puhi.

                                I believe in Canada people how have a Scottish background are Scotch.

                                While some drink it :))

                                Iain Scott

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                                  Hi

                                  According to my Scots Dialect Dictionary the word describing ancestors from
                                  Scotland would be 'Scots' or perhaps 'Scottish'. 'Scotch' is used in contexts
                                  other than whisky e.g. Scotch mile, Scotch cuddy, Scotch collops etc

                                  Ian Scott

                                • Linda Hansen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                                    Ian,
                                    I will have to find my g. grandfather's diary to check & make sure of his exact wording about his baptism.
                                    Linda Hansen
                                    peachesandpeas@...