The Scotsman Digital Archive

  • iain_dalgleish
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      It may be of interest to this group but I have just discovered that
      the Scotsman has launched a digital archive of all its editions 1817-
      1900. It appears to be fully searchable for free but images cost.
      Because it is new the cost is currently discounted until January 2005
      (no precise date given).
      I am already a member of the site so I accessed it through the daily
      email I receive.
      The main URL is www.scotsman.com.
      If you do not see it you may have to register with the site (as far
      as I know that bit is still free).

      Iain Dalgleish
      Researching
      Dalgleish BER, ROX, MLN, QLD, VIC,
      Henderson BER, ROX, SEL
    • relder
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Iain
        You don't happen to have one Annie Gray married William J Dalgliesh 27
        December 1948.
        Annie died in May 1999. Annie's mother was Annie Barthram first married to
        George Stewart Elder then to a John Gray
        they came from Roxburgh area
        I'm doing the Elder side of the family
        Bob
        > It may be of interest to this group but I have just discovered that
        > the Scotsman has launched a digital archive of all its editions 1817-
        > 1900. It appears to be fully searchable for free but images cost.
        > Because it is new the cost is currently discounted until January 2005
        > (no precise date given).
        > I am already a member of the site so I accessed it through the daily
        > email I receive.
        > The main URL is www.scotsman.com.
        > If you do not see it you may have to register with the site (as far
        > as I know that bit is still free).
        >
        > Iain Dalgleish
        > Researching
        > Dalgleish BER, ROX, MLN, QLD, VIC,
        > Henderson BER, ROX, SEL

      • iain_dalgleish
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
          I thought that you would all be interested to know that from Noon
          (GMT) the 30th November for one week the digital archive is free. I
          suggest that you make full use of it because it is rather expensive
          normally, its search facilities are powerful and can be a very
          valuable resource. Full details are on www.scotsman.com.
          Finally; a happy St Andrews day to all.
        • Janet
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
            Well I've been there this morning and got no hits for anything, not even Kirk Sessions. ;-( I think its suffering from heavy traffic.

            Janet
            Searching: Kirkpatrick & McNab
            Traced:
            Dun/Dunn, Angus
            Sherret, Kincardineshire
            Chester, Glasgow
            Rowat, Campbell, Argyll

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
              Hello all.

              I searched and found 6 different articles on Robert Crawford,
              published poet [my wifes' fathers' father] between 1929 and 1936.

              Had difficulty viewing the articles...wouldn't accept my login... sent
              an email to the Scotsman help line for assistance...couldn't suggest
              the cause...tried switching from "Firefox" [default browser] to
              "Internet Explorer" and that worked. The Scotsman say the site should
              work with ALL browsers, because they tested every one they could find,
              for use at the site.
              Used "Gadwin - PrintScreen" to capture the pertinent section of
              display to ".jpg" image files...had to save in up to 6 different sections.
              Also printed out the articles at the website. They came out rather
              HUGE, and on different A4 pages.
              They can also be saved in text format, but I'd rather see an image of
              the original article.
              Now to investigate how to join all the images together to make one
              great image file, each including a whole article.

              Good hunting, Alex.