Re: [scots-origins] Coalhill Street, Glasgow

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2004
      Hi Ian, Interesting account. My grandmother was born in Camlachie
      and I cannae tell you how much sadness there is in that family,
      although as you say they might have been the salt of the earth hard
      workers, they had to be to make a living. She was described as a
      bakery saleswoman when she married my grandfather who had been a ship
      labourer, a bakery vanman and later, as she died a silver plate
      cleaner. My father was born at 85 Braehead Street, Govanhill,
      lasgow - I think it might have been described as Gorbals.

      Janet

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2004
        Hi Mary, others have responded to your request re location,(it seems I
        get my messages later than everybody else) it could better be described
        as being in the parish of Camlachie, and perhaps even in Parkhead. My
        ggparents (Kilgour) lived in Coalhill Street prior to the 1860s and for
        your info I found three families of Cunninghams in the 61 census living
        at 23, 40 and 55 Coalhill St. Any connections to your family?

        David K

        Mary wrote

        "When my great grandparents married in July 1864 they lived at 29
        Coalhill Street, District of Bridgeton, Burgh of Glasgow.___"
      • David Kilgour

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2004
            Dear Ian,
            Thanks so much for sending me the history of Coalhill Street. My great
            grandparents lived there in 1864 and I don't doubt that it changed much over
            the years. Patrick was a laborer and may hav even worked in the Beardmore
            Foundry and you are right, it was in the Bridgeton District. I have a more
            vivid picture in my mind now, thanks to your description, and most
            touching of all was your remark that though it was a dismal area, the
            people who lived and worked there were first class. I would think they
            would say the same of you.

            Many thanks and best wishes,
            Mary Priola
          • RP
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2004
              Hello David,
              Nice to hear from you and about your ggparents who also lived on Coalhill
              St. What a coincidence! especially considering we are talking about the
              1860's.
              My great grandfather was Patrick Meichan (as it was spelled on his Marriage
              Registration) a laborer. My great grandmother was Margaret Gallacher.
              Patrick's father was Peter Meichan and his mother, Mary Tully. Margaret's
              father was Cornelius Gallacher, a farmer and his wife Mary Brennan.
              The address stated as the usual residence on the Marriage Registration is
              29 Coalhill St., Glasgow. I presumed that meant Margaret and Patrick's
              address but it could have been his father's, or the Gallachers and Meichans
              may all have lived on that street. I don't know any other names of familes
              that lived there, James Mc Cabe was one of the withnesses of my great
              grandparents marriage at St. Mary's Chapel, Glasgow, he might have lived in
              the same area if not the same street. There are no Kilgour nor Cunninghams
              in our family that I am aware of, but it is nice to know the names of some
              of the people my great grandparents knew.

              Thank you for giving me some more insight into the Coalhill St. area. If I
              never get to see the area in person, I am getting a more vivid picture of
              what it may have been like in my mind.

              Best wishes,
              Mary Priola
            • RP
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2004
                Dear David,
                I don't know how to thank you enough for sending me the information about
                the Virtual Mitchell website. What a treasure those pictures are to me.
                A million thanks for your generosity.
                Mary Priola
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
                  In a message dated 04/11/2004 16:35:19 GMT Standard Time, dkilgour@...
                  writes:

                  it could better be described
                  as being in the parish of Camlachie, and perhaps even in Parkhead

                  I would question the statement 'Parish of Camlachie'. My gazetteer dated
                  from around the 1860's describes Camlachie as a village in the Barony parish of
                  Glasgow.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
                    smsbob@... writes:

                    The address stated as the usual residence on the Marriage Registration is
                    29 Coalhill St., Glasgow.

                    Hi Mary

                    One thing to remember is that 29 Coalhill Street may have had quite a number
                    of individual small room and kitchen type flats and not only one family at
                    the address.

                  • David Kilgour
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                      Ian, thanks for your comment, you are probably right, as usual. I was a
                      bit sloppy using the term parish. I was really trying to point out that
                      Coalhill St was either in the village of Camlachie or Parkhead, and not
                      in Bridgeton. I shall try to be clearer in future. I lived in Parkhead
                      for 20 years so I am somewhat familiar with the area.

                      David K

                      Ian Scott wrote

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                        Thank you Ian for the information on the Coalhill St. residences. I did not know that there could be more than one family at that address. Appreciate your help and insight.
                        Mary P

                      • RP
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
                          Thanks again for more information about Coalhill St. I have shared your
                          information about our family origins and Coalhill St., and I believe we are
                          more sensitive now to how fortunate we are and to the sacrifices and
                          hardships our families endured.
                          Mary Priola
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                            Hi David

                            My message was posted just in case someone started looking for the parish of
                            Camlachie which they would not find. I am sure, having lived in the area for
                            all those years, you know the place much better than I do. I lived in Airdrie
                            from 1939 and regularly visited my grandparents in Cambuslang, where I was
                            born, by travelling on the tramcar, Nos. 15 and 23 if I remember correctly, to
                            Glasgow and then the Central SMT bus from Carlton Place. Parkhead Cross was
                            quite a junction for the trams in those days but the journey from Airdrie to
                            Glasgow was 3d (just over 1p in today's money). If it was one of the old
                            trams you shoogled your way in and if it happened to be one of the Coronation
                            ones - that was luxury!

                            Ian