Re: [scots-origins] Adoptions

  • Rena MCCARTHY
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 30, 2004
      This page on this site gives information of what to do for all of the United
      Kingdom

      http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/topics/adoption_2.htm

      Rena
      ---
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi Bill:
        I was unsuccessful obtaining any information if my husband's dad was
        adopted. I was told that any information about adoption would not be
        released (only to the adoptee) on individuals adopted before 1900.
        Betz
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hi

          The handbook 'Tracing your Scottish Ancestors' states in Chapter 5,
          paragraph 15 that adoption was not recognised in the law of Scotland until 1930.
          There are records of adoption in the Court of Session and the Sheriff Court
          records but information from these records is only supplied to the adopted child
          who must have reached the age of 17 or by order of the appropriate Court.

          This handbook was produced by the Scottish Record Office (now National
          Archives of Scotland) and is dated 1997. I believe it has been republished since
          then and there may be some updating to the text.

        • Rena MCCARTHY
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 4, 2004
            Betz said:
            > Hi Bill:
            > I was unsuccessful obtaining any information if my husband's dad was
            > adopted. I was told that any information about adoption would not be
            > released (only to the adoptee) on individuals adopted before 1900.
            > Betz

            This is the official view:-
            Adoption Records at the National Archives of Scotland
            WHO CAN INSPECT THE LEGAL RECORDS OF AN ADOPTION?
            Adoption processes are among the most confidential records held in the
            courts and the NAS and they are closed to general public access for 100
            years. This means that the staff of the NAS are also forbidden to examine
            them. Each process is individually sealed and the indexes themselves are
            restricted.
            ADOPTIONS BEFORE 1930
            Before 1930 adoptions were arranged on a private basis, either by
            individuals or by one of a number of charitable adoption agencies. NAS
            currently holds no records for adoptions before 1930.
            ADOPTIONS AFTER 1930The Adoption of Children (Scotland) Act, 1930 introduced
            legal adoption into Scotland from that year. Adoptions since then have
            normally been arranged by charitable bodies or by local authority social
            work departments and then ratified by the civil courts. The majority of
            adoptions are ratified through the local sheriff courts, although a tiny
            number (perhaps two or three each year) are settled through
            the Court of Session in Edinburgh.
            ADVICE AND COUNSELLING
            Often adopted people can find the whole business of tracking down their
            birth parents very distressing.
            Similarly, the adoption papers themselves can sometimes contain upsetting
            revelations. Because of this it is best to seek advice and counselling
            before beginning such a search. If you are starting from scratch, the best
            first step is to identify the agency that arranged the adoption.-Barnardo's
            Scottish Adoption Advice Service, 16 Sandyford Place, Glasgow G3 7BN (Tel.:
            0141- 339-0772) and Family Care, 21 Castle Street, Edinburgh EH2 3DN (Tel.:
            0131-225-6441) both offer counselling and advice.-Family Care also maintains
            Birthlink, the Adoption Contact Register for Scotland. Adopted people, birth
            parents and birth relatives can use this Register to note their wish for
            contact or otherwise. Birthlink also keeps a register of the whereabouts of
            adoption records, particularly those arranged by local authorities and
            adoption societies. -The Scottish Adoption Association, 2 Commercial Street,
            Edinburgh EH6 6JA (Tel.: 0131-553-5060) provides counselling and as well as
            holding the records of adoptions arranged by themselves, holds those for
            Edinburgh and Lothian Social Work Department, The Church of Scotland, and
            The Scottish Episcopal Church
            ----------------

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 4, 2004
              Jim & Betz wrote mainly for Bill:

              > Hi Bill:
              > I was unsuccessful obtaining any information if my husband's dad was
              > adopted. I was told that any information about adoption would not be
              > released (only to the adoptee) on individuals adopted before 1900.

              The Adopted Childrens Register includes no persons bn before October 1909. This is a National register.

              Adoptions got recorded in other places but there were no universal rules as to what got recorded and where deposited.

              If you know the village or parish where adopted you may succeed after getting local guidance eg from the Records Office or Local Studies Librarian or History Society.

              Cheers,

              ALISTAIR M. CAMERON http://quozl.netrek.org/cameron-research/

              PO Box 215 BUNDANOON NSW 2578 AUSTRALIA