Farm Names

  • Rena MCCARTHY
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2004
      Hi,

      A lister recently queried a residence on an OPR. I came across this piece
      which lists what are believed to be small farms/hamlets in what is now
      Glasgow. I see MEIKLE ( a surname which often crops up) is mentioned:-

      <the barony (of Glasgow) comprised a fascinating roll-call of small farms
      or hamlets that would in time become suburbs and districts of Glasgow. Among
      them were "Meikle Govane, Westscheill, Govane Scheillis, Haggis ...
      Gorbillis, Borrowfield ... Little Cowcaldenis, Brumehill, Rammishorne,
      Dalmarnok ... Stobcors... Partik... Hyndland, Kirklie ... Balschagrie,
      Gartnavill, Balgray, Woodsyde, Garroch, Garbried, Ruchhill, Keppo
      [Keppochill], Possilis, Over and Nether Cowtstoun [Colston?], Lambhill ...
      Haghill ... Cadder ... Quhytinsche [Whiteinch] ... Auchinarne, Robrestoun
      [Robroyston] ... Halhill ... Daldowie ... Karmyld [Carmyle], Dalbeith ...
      Scheddilstoun [Shettleston] ... Provand".

      In 1667, the Town Council of Glasgow purchased the last named from Sir
      Robert Hamilton of Silvertonhill, providing another interesting list of what
      were then probably simply farmsteads: "Ballanerk [Barlanark] alias Provand,
      containing Easter Cunschlie [Queenslie?] ... Gartcraig ... Hewgonfield,
      Ballarnock [Balornock] ... Riddrie, Rachesie [Ruchazie], Craigend,
      Garthomlock, Cardowane, Garsheugh [Gartcosh?]". These lands were exploited
      for coal and as a general asset that was subsequently sold off in various
      parcels to meet civic debts, notably to meet the hefty fines imposed after
      the Shawfield riots of 1725. >