Districts and parishes

  • Janet Hoch
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
      On my ancestors' gravestone in Nova Scotia, it reads "Natives of
      Glenmoriston". While I have a general idea of the region I have no idea
      what cities/towns, districts, parishes, etc. the area encompasses. Can
      anyone help, please? Janet

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
        Hi Janet

        Glenmoriston as the name implies is a Glen containing the post office station
        of its own name (Fullarton's Gazetteer c 1865). The same Gazetteer shows the
        parish of Urquhart and Glenmoriston as being a united parish in the north west
        division of Inverness-shire. The parish contains the post office stations of
        Urquhart and Drumnadrochit, the post office village of Invermoriston and the
        villages of Milntown and East and West Lewiston.

        On the map you will find Glens Urquhart and Moriston lying to the west of
        Loch Ness with Fort Augustus to the south and Inverness to the north with the
        distance between these two towns being some 34 miles.

        I hope this is of some help.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
          Janet Hoch wrote:

          > On my ancestors' gravestone in Nova Scotia, it reads "Natives of
          > Glenmoriston". While I have a general idea of the region I have no idea
          > what cities/towns, districts, parishes, etc. the area encompasses. Can
          > anyone help, please? Janet

          The parish of Urquhart and Glenmoriston is 18 mi ne of Fort Augustus. No cities nearby. The registers date from 1739, and the 1851 pop was 3104. Only one Glenmoriston church there in 1800s,
          no non- conformist chapels. Beside Loch Ness, a village there is Anoch.

          The parish size is roughly 30 by 10 miles, sparsely populated with 300 houses (1831)

          Cheers,

          ALISTAIR
        • Janet Hoch
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
            Thank you, Alistair! Now to get out my map and a marker.
            Janet