Scotlandspeople

  • Eileen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004
      Is there any way to enter the names of the parents on Scotlandspeople
      Births to obtain a list of all children of the couple, as can be done
      on FamilySearch?

      Eileen Herkes
    • Rena MCCARTHY
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
        Hi,
        Yes, I've done it myself.

        For baptisms/births, enter the surname and the time period you are
        interested in (with leeway either side).
        You will then be presented with a list of all the births in that period, the
        parents names, dob, County, District, GRO, and possibly some details under
        the heading 'Misc'. However, some early 1800 births may only give the
        father's name.

        You will probably know at least one of the children's name, age - providing
        there aren't 20 Tom Brown's born to 20 Tom Brown and Mary in the same
        village, it's a simple job to pick out the siblings/parents.

        Rena
        =

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
          Rena:

          On the Statutory Register Births Index - 1855 -1903 I have already
          downloaded, there is a column for Parent Name, but in every instance
          it is blank.
          In the OPR Index 1553 -1854 there are parents listed in that column.
          I wonder if there was a problem at Scotlandspeople on the day I was
          searching Births.

          Eileen Herkes

          > Yes, I've done it myself.
          > For baptisms/births, enter the surname and the time period you are
          > interested in (with leeway either side).
          > You will then be presented with a list of all the births in that
          period, the
          > parents names, dob, County, District, GRO, and possibly some details
          under
          > the heading 'Misc'. However, some early 1800 births may only give
          the
          > father's name.
          >
          > > Is there any way to enter the names of the parents on
          Scotlandspeople
          > > Births to obtain a list of all children of the couple, as can be
          done
          > > on FamilySearch?
        • Rena MCCARTHY
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
            Hello Eileen,
            You've got me stumped! I did my post (after) 1855 research when
            scotsorigins had the contract. On the occasions when I visit
            scotlandspeople (who have had the contract for about 2 years) I'm usually
            looking for pre 1855 records and census. The only time I've visited
            scotlandspeople this year is to check up on when they are actually going to
            publish the next set of records (1871;61;51;41 census and OPR death
            records).

            I've just double checked on scotlandspeople and found I looked for 3 post
            1855 sibling births during 2003. You are right - there's no parents names!
            No wonder some people on the list say they've got 'spare' documents! I
            probably didn't think about it at the time because I knew the district/GRO
            to look in as I'd already got my main people from scotsorigins as mentioned.
            The actual document should have the names - unless you visit on a Friday
            13th and get really unlucky! I wonder if it's done deliberately? If all
            the names were given we'd get 5 or 6 documents for our money - with some
            information missing we have to spend extra weeding out the chaffe.

            Have you tried this website, which some people get their documents from?
            www (dot) 1837online (dot) com

            Sorry about the mis-information
            Rena
            =

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
              Hi

              I have a number of downloaded sheets from searches and can only see the
              parents name listed on one entry post 1855. I believe the reason is that the
              mother's maiden name was not captured when the indexing was prepared.

            • Eileen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
                What a pity that they didn't do it properly. It would make our
                research so much easier.

                Eileen Herkes

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 10, 2004
                  In a message dated 10/08/2004 11:22:37 GMT Daylight Time, eileen@...
                  writes:

                  > What a pity that they didn't do it properly. It would make our
                  > research so much easier.

                  Hi Eileen

                  As I understand it the indexes were prepared long before digitisation was in
                  the pipeline or even computerisation.