Re: [scots-origins] requesting information on 1830 Scottish solicitors' train...

  • Debra Richards
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30 6:31 AM
      Rena,
      That was an interesting reply; inasmuchas I have an ancestor, John Steele, who married Janet Robertson and their marriage along with births are recorded in two different Parishes, with different dates. One in Angus and one in Barony. However, the records in Angus, which are the earlier of the two, are spelled as Still, not Steele. What could be the possible explanation for the two records in different time frames with different spellings? (By time frames I mean a few years at most.)
      I must admit that I know very little with regard to the Parishes and what was required in given time frames. However, reading your statement below certainly would make sense. If they moved between Angus and Barony they may have wanted to stay in good standing with those parishes? However, why would the marriage record be different time frames? Would they have had to be married twice?
      Kindest Regards
      Debra

      Rena MCCARTHY <Rena@...> wrote:
      ALISTAIR M. CAMERON said:-
      Then as now there were many non- pious people who avoided Church. Check
      among your friends, ask Hey! where were you baptised??

      Alistair,
      We are talking about ordinary people, not people on the 'fringe'. It was
      well known in those days that if you didn't go to church you didn't get any
      handouts when the going got tough. It had to be a 'recognised' church as
      well - there are records of full families agreeing to be being appropriately
      'baptised' again in order to gain certification. I'd like to know the full
      story of this lady who in 1841 had 7 children & was married to a publican on
      the Hereford to north Wales drover's trail. Ten years later she was widowed
      & had had to find a new place to live with 3 surviving children aged under
      11 and no job, unless 'Parish relief' was an occupation title.

      1851 census: Tramroadside
      Charlotte Thomas /Head / Wid / 47/ Parish Relief

      Rena
      ----------------
      From: "Alistair Cameron"

      > Tom McQuarrie wrote:
      >
      > > What was going on at the time that is causing so many of us to be piled
      up
      > > against the early 1800's brick wall ?
      >
      > More a case of what was NOT going on. Like, the recording of deaths,
      marriages, births.

      > Scots who were born before 1800 were mostly married, and died, before the
      1855 year of Civil registration. In those early days it was at the parish
      church where the subjects worshipped, that