mid 1700's Robt Barrie Medical Studies in Greenock (from home in Sanquhar)

  • Ray Ann Alt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hello My Fellow Scots-Origin researchers: Again I cast my line to ask those of you out there if anyone has knowledge or has anyone in their family research who has also gone to Greenock Scotland to study medicine?

      I have letters indicating that Robert Barrie (born in Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire) went to Greenock to study medicine--and I can only wonder if he would have studied under a local doctor or if he would have gone to some other type of school that would have been located there?

      I'm also enquiring if anyone has come across a type of "heritage" ledger or payment ledger which lists people's names and the word "heritage" after it...and a list of amounts paid out...?? I have no concept of what this might be... Would this have come from an accounting firm which handled each individual client or would this have been through a law firm that had set up the will for the deceased individual and they were then also responsible for doling out the inheritance?

      Is there anyone who has suggestions of where I can go to get additional info on the customs of probate in Scotland in the 1700's? Living in the US, the customs and traditions for that type of thing were much much different so I honestly have no idea where to turn to get this info...

      Cheers to all

      Ray Ann Farington-Alt

    • Julia Parker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
        Hi Ray Ann.

        Try www.scottishdocuments.com
        You might just find what you are looking for.
        I also found references to heritage payouts in my ancestors documents as he
        was a lawyer or "writer" as they were known back then. Can't confirm this in
        your case though.
        Good luck
        Julia