Re: [scots-origins] Re: WATSON, KELMAN, MCEWEN from Fraserburgh, Tyrie, and New Deer

  • Rena MCCARTHY
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2004
      Hello Katherine,
      Glad you had something to cheer about. I think Tyrie has the same meaning
      in Ireland as it has in Scotland but I don't know what. Any place named
      Tyrie in the 'new world' was taken there by settlers.
      New Deer has only been a comparatively recent addition, hopefully my Old
      Machar, Aberdeen names will appear sooner rather than later. Please cross
      your fingers that Shirras, is transcribed just like that and not variations
      of a gun toting Sherrif, due to a transcriber not realising that the funny
      looking 'p' or 'f' in front of the last letter denotes that the last letter
      is the double consonant 'ss'.

      Rena
      ==