[scots-origins] Cunningham; Douglas of Strathendry; Craigie of Glendoick & Dumbarnie

  • RoryHarrow@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 1999
      Hi everyone

      Has anybody done much on these families ? The Craigies in particular seem
      very confusing because they kept on marrying their cousins.

      Also if anyone knows anything about Robert Cunningham who was in the
      Berwickshire Militia in about 1805-1815, I'm desperate ! Particularly any
      link to Robert Horsburgh, Minister of Prestonpans from 1702.

      I've found qute a bit on FamilySearch & would be interested to hear others'
      views on their Pedigrees. Reliable ? I found David Douglas, born in 1769 and
      an ancestor of mine, with a mother who was supposedly born in 1717 - not
      impossibe, but ...?

      Origins guys - excellent job, please come and sort out the English records.
      Unfortunately three out of four grandparents were English but I've found the
      Scots ten times more easily.

      Rory Cunningham

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 1999
        > I've found qute a bit on FamilySearch & would be interested to
        > hear others'
        > views on their Pedigrees. Reliable ?

        No, anything starting with M or C then 11 then parish number then a 1 to 9
        (ie M116546) has come from the original parish register (exactly what you
        will get from "Scots Origins") the rest could be, I stress could be, pure
        fabrication and guess work. Always read the original certificate yourself
        before you add anyone to your pedigree.

        > I found David Douglas, born
        > in 1769 and
        > an ancestor of mine, with a mother who was supposedly born in 1717 - not
        > impossibe, but ...?

        Very likely if there are other (older) children or she remarried.