Re: [scots-origins] 1891 CENSUS LOOK UP PLEASE - ANDREW BROWNLEE

  • Terry Delany
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
      I hesistate to answer as I feel I am such a neophyte compared to the master genealogists that are on this list who are so knowledgeable but I have a similar situation with my relative that was in the army (the Captain Alexander (?) John Grant who I thought was in the Black Watch but now am wondering if it was the Higland Camerons) who I queried this list about and started this very interesting Black Watch
      debate.....I have the names of his 11 children and most of the dates of their births and a few of their birth places Edinburgh for the oldest and Nova Scotia for the youngest).....although we don't have any more specifics we do know that the whole family travelled with him in North America. So I would suggest that your relative may have been posted abroad during the 1891 census......was there a separate
      census done for military that was abroad?

      I am stunned at how a Captain in the army could afford in the 1760 to the 1790's to travel around the world with 11 children!!!!! No wonder the British army lost the American Revolutionary war if they were encumbered with all these huge families. We know for sure that the oldest two girls who stayed in Nova Scotia when John Grant went back to London to join the Kings Guards had travelled with the their
      parents when he fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill and the Battle of the Heights at Staten Island and by the time he left the army the first time in Nova Scotia to take up a land grant in Guysborough all ll children had been born, the youngest two in Nova Scotia. How was this possible? (now I am not asking about a debate between the stork and the cabbage patch!!!!...but how soldiers could financially
      support travelling and living abroad with their families.... surely the army did not pay for the families living expenses or did they? But certainly it has caused me to try and identify which regiment he was in and where they fought so that I can look for the birth records of his 11 children who may have been born when his regiment was in the West Indies, Ireland, England and North America.....Would there have
      been army resisters for the children or would they have been baptised in local churches? Terry Delany

      Caroline Day wrote:

      > In my search for my Andrew BROWNLEE and the Black Watch debate, i.e. when he was in the army, I notice from my records that I couldn't find him in the 1891 census anywhere. Andrew was born in 1866. I found him in 1881 in a Glasgow poorhouse with his mother and one sister (his father had died when he was young) but, as stated, I could not find him in the 1891 census anywhere. He married in 1895 in Dundee.
      >
      > Is there some poor soul that could take pity on me and see if they can find anything on a disc if they have one - I presume he wouldn't have been with family at this time as I have found his two sisters in the census and his mother died in 1890. I have found another Andrew Hamilton Brownlee about the same age but apart from that there don't appear to be many of them about.
      >
      > Kind regards and thanks in advance.
      >
      > Caroline Day

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Caroline Day
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
        Like Terry - I would be delighted to hear from some knowledgeable person
        (not me!) if there was an 1891 census for military working abroad.

        Kind regards.
        Caroline