Re: [scots-origins] BLACK WATCH

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 30, 2004
      ScotHeritage@... writes:

      > Also the proper name for the Black Watch is the 42nd Royal Highland
      > Regiment.
      > Also called The Black Watch, and the Ladies From Hell. (thanks to the
      > Germans
      > of WW 1.

      The Regimental Website shows the name of the Regiment as Black Watch (The
      Royal Highland Regiment) and while it claims the regiment to be the premier Scots
      Infantry Regiment the website states it was formed in 1725. Against this you
      have to set the claim of the Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) which was formed
      in 1633 and is the oldest Infantry Regiment in the British Army. During
      National Service I trained at the Royal Scots Depot at Dreghorn Barracks in
      Edinburgh and can remember the claim 'First of Foot and Right of the Line'.

      All this information can be had by going to Google and typing in the name of
      the regiment which will take you to their website.

    • ScotHeritage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
        In a message dated 2/2/2004 7:16:36 AM Central Standard Time,
        IACSCOTT@... writes:
        The Regimental Website shows the name of the Regiment as Black Watch (The
        Royal Highland Regiment) and while it claims the regiment to be the premier
        Scots
        Infantry Regiment the website states it was formed in 1725. Against this you
        have to set the claim of the Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) which was
        formed
        in 1633 and is the oldest Infantry Regiment in the British Army. During
        National Service I trained at the Royal Scots Depot at Dreghorn Barracks in
        Edinburgh and can remember the claim 'First of Foot and Right of the Line'.

        All this information can be had by going to Google and typing in the name of
        the regiment which will take you to their website.

        Ian A C Scott
        I think the claim may be the oldest Highland regiment. The Archers are older
        than them, and so are the Yeow men (sp) but I am not sure they still exist on
        their iwn or in another regiment.
        Dave

      • Iain Sutherland
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
          NO
          Iain
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2004
            Caroline, it's only stupid if you'd asked the question within earshot of
            Iain
            (& a few thousand others) - you would now be deaf or beheaded by the blast !
            :-) :-)
            Rena
            ==
            NO

            Iain
            ==
            "Corps: 6th Cameron Highlanders, Regiment No. S/14705" - could this be
            related to Black Watch?

            Sorry to sound so stupid!
            Caroline Day
          • caroline.day2@ntlworld.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
              I did get a few responses thanks Rena!

              You'll have to excuse me but I'm one of those stupid people that live in the South of England and have no knowledge of anything north of the border (trying to keep out of the political backlash that seems to be the norm on this forum these days!).

              Kind regards.
              Caroline

              > Wrom: EGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCM
              > Date: 2004/02/04 Wed PM 10:45:01 GMT
              > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] BLACK WATCH
              >
              > Caroline, it's only stupid if you'd asked the question within earshot of
              > Iain
              > (& a few thousand others) - you would now be deaf or beheaded by the blast !
              > :-) :-)
              > Rena
              > ==
              > NO
              >
              > Iain
              > ==
              > "Corps: 6th Cameron Highlanders, Regiment No. S/14705" - could this be
              > related to Black Watch?
              >
              > Sorry to sound so stupid!
              > Caroline Day

            • Rena MCCARTHY
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
                I'm presuming by 'north of the border' you mean the Watford Gap :-)

                Backlash? What backlash? This reminds me of days long gone, of the weekly
                large family get-together. An unfortunate would proffer a sentence, of
                course it was always the wrong sentence. It always had the effect of
                snapping necks turning heads in unison, scores of eyes burning his way
                accompanied by a cacophony of sound, uttering corrective admonishments -
                whoever brought the 'culprit' would make a tacit disownment and bring the
                blood letting to an end by muttering 'silly old fool'.
                You learn humour is a good foil for self preservation - don't you Dave? :-)
                Rena
                ==

              • ScotHeritage@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
                  In a message dated 2/5/2004 5:16:43 AM Central Standard Time,
                  Rena@... writes:

                  > "Corps: 6th Cameron Highlanders, Regiment No. S/14705" - could this be
                  > related to Black Watch?
                  >
                  > Sorry to sound so stupid!
                  > Caroline Day

                  Caroline love, he was with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders up in
                  Inverness, or where ever he was posted. With the information above you should be able
                  to get all kinds of information about this soldier.
                  <A HREF="http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=424fe020648e9b08&clickedItemRank=4&userQuery=Queens+Own+Cameron+Highlanders&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electricscotland.com%2Fhistory%2Fscotreg%2Fcamerons%2F">The 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders</A>
                  <A HREF="http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=424fe020648e9b08&clickedItemRank=2&userQuery=Queens+Own+Cameron+Highlanders&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.regiments.org%2Fmilhist%2Fuk%2Finf%2F079QOCH.htm">The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders [UK]</A>
                  <A HREF="http://www.armymuseums.co.uk/ancestor.htm">Ancestors in the Army - family history</A>
                  Hope these sites help a wee bit.
                  Dave

                  Scottish Nationalist Television
                  <A HREF="http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm">TV SCOTS</A>
                  Bringing Scotland to the world
                  <A HREF="http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm">TV SCOTS</A> <A HREF="http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm">http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm</A>

                • Iain Sutherland
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
                    I had arrived back from Holiday to 580 e mails that night
                    iain

                  • caroline.day2@ntlworld.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 6, 2004
                      Sorry Iain in advance then! Don't suppose you want to look at the photo of my ggrandfather!!! Jimmy Christie has been very kind and looked at it and is certain my ggrandfather was in the Black Watch at some time from the uniform but we can't work out when etc. I have sent it to BW Museum and they are looking into it at the moment.

                      Kind regards.
                      Caroline

                      > Wrom: HGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSF
                      > Date: 2004/02/05 Thu PM 08:28:04 GMT
                      > To: <scots-origins@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [scots-origins] BLACK WATCH
                      >
                      > I had arrived back from Holiday to 580 e mails that night
                      > iain

                    • Carole
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 6, 2004
                        Hi Ian
                        About a year or so back I had to go to hospital for a few days and when I came back I had close to 1,500 emails and it took forever to clear them all.
                        So you really got off lightly didn't you.Emails are so lovely to receive
                        but I see what you mean after holidays you have to get back to your normal
                        life and alot of emails can be time consuming.
                        Hope you had a great holiday.
                        Carole[New Zealand]

                        Iain Sutherland <iain_sutherland@...> wrote:
                        I had arrived back from Holiday to 580 e mails that night
                        iain
                        > Caroline, it's only stupid if you'd asked the question within earshot of
                        > Iain
                        > (& a few thousand others) - you would now be deaf or beheaded by the blast
                        !
                        > :-) :-)
                        > Rena
                        > ==
                        > NO
                        >
                        > Iain
                        > ==
                        > "Corps: 6th Cameron Highlanders, Regiment No. S/14705" - could this be
                        > related to Black Watch?
                        >
                        > Sorry to sound so stupid!
                        > Caroline Day

                      • Alistair Macdonald
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 9, 2004
                          I either lost the thread on this one or had never seen it, but I find the
                          most effective way to get rid of persistent off topic subjects which clutter
                          up my already over burdened screen, is to use the "block sender" option in
                          the Message menu. Thereafter they have gone forever, at least from my view
                          which the object of the exercise.
                          Alistair