Re: [scots-origins] Black Watch - another question

  • ScotHeritage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2004
      In a message dated 1/30/2004 5:55:16 AM Central Standard Time,
      sandilee@... writes:

      > Thank you for all your answers about the Black Watch Regiment! So, if
      > the Black Watch, and other regiments, were for patrolling the highland
      > clans, what regiment might someone living in Edinburgh around 1760-1780
      > have served in?
      > Sandi in Idaho
      >
      > Scottish Borderers, Cameronians, Scot's Guards, Dragoons, they could of also
      > enlisted in one of the Defensive Regiments now, for propoganda reasons after
      > the Highland Mutiny, also called Fencibles.
      >
      > I think, not sure, that it is the Scottish Borderer's who are allowed to
      > march, with rifle, through the streets of Edinburgh any day but Sunday. Note
      > also that most of if not all these regiments also have official regimental
      > numbers, (not sure about the Defensible regiments) The memory is slipping fast.
      > Dave

      Scottish Nationalist Television
      <A HREF="http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm">TV SCOTS</A>
      Bringing Scotland to the world
      <A HREF="http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm">TV SCOTS</A> <A HREF="http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm">http://www.electricscotland.com/tvscots/index.htm</A>

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2004
        ScotHeritage@... writes:

        > I think, not sure, that it is the Scottish Borderer's who are allowed to
        > >march, with rifle, through the streets of Edinburgh any day but Sunday.
        > Note
        > >also that most of if not all these regiments also have official regimental
        > >numbers, (not sure about the Defensible regiments) The memory is slipping
        > fast.
        > >Dave

        As I recall it, if a regiment has been granted the freedom of a town it has
        the right to march through the streets with fixed bayonets and drums beating.
        Although I am not certain I suspect that all the Scottish regiments, now and in
        the past, will have had that honour bestowed upon them.

      • ScotHeritage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          In a message dated 2/2/2004 7:17:15 AM Central Standard Time,
          IACSCOTT@... writes:
          As I recall it, if a regiment has been granted the freedom of a town it has
          the right to march through the streets with fixed bayonets and drums beating.
          Although I am not certain I suspect that all the Scottish regiments, now and
          in
          the past, will have had that honour bestowed upon them.

          Ian A C Scott
          Yes most have it in their home town. The city, the Provost, presents the
          regiment with The Keys To The City. We had the Cameron's up in Inverness. They had
          their church Parade once a year and a regimental Turn Out once a year.Usually
          just before the Mess Party I think it was.
          Dave

        • Alison Fraser
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
            For very obvious reasons the parade WOULD most likely be before the mess
            party. not after. A traditional party after the 'Freedom of the City
            Parade' I expect, not one when the whole regiment had a massive headache.

            AS(NZ) Wife and Mother of soldiers.